the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

question for landlords/renters

+4
JT Estoban
RogerStrong
AGEsAces
Deank
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1question for landlords/renters Empty question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:03 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

A friend of mine just finished building a new house. As part of this he put a rental unit in the basement figuring the monthly rent would pay for most of the mortgage.

The City inspector comes by and says okay most things look good..your renter can move in.. BUT I want every single electrical outlet in the entire house replaced with childproof ones.

WAAAA?????

This is a rule now? Since when?

2question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:13 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

yes...and no...it's actually code for all bedrooms now.
Odd saying the "whole house"...and unless he has Arc-fault breakers in the box...he's also required to have GFI outlets in the bathroom and kitchen.

In case you didn't know...if you're doing renovations...wires are also colour-coded now...so if you're upgrading wiring, there's a different colour for each room.

Don't go looking for "childproof"...they are called "TR or Tamper-Resistant"...box of 6 costs about $20 at Home Depot.

Easy to install too...same process as other/older outlets.

http://www.photage.ca

3question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah.. problem being it is the entire house... with around 20-30 outlets.. at 10 minutes per...well you get the picture. The money is not bad.. its the time.

But it pisses me off more that it is even a requirement at all. But we have had this argument before...

4question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:28 am

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

AGEsAces wrote:yes...and no...it's actually code for all bedrooms now.
[...]
he's also required to have GFI outlets in the bathroom and kitchen.

I just moved into a just-renovated apartment building. Among other things, it has all new electrical. The bedroom outlets aren't GFI protected.

One weird thing is that there's a plug on either side of the kitchen sink, both the same distance away. One is a GFI outlet, and one isn't.

5question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

RogerStrong wrote:I just moved into a just-renovated apartment building. Among other things, it has all new electrical. The bedroom outlets aren't GFI protected.

One weird thing is that there's a plug on either side of the kitchen sink, both the same distance away. One is a GFI outlet, and one isn't.

Check the electrical panel. You can install a arc-fault breaker for the bedroom circut(s), that's would be considered adequate protection in place of installing all new GFI outlets in bedrooms.

6question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 am

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

If you have multiple plugs on the same circuit running in series I think you only need one to be GFI for it to trip the circuit. The bedroom code is pretty new so depending on when occupancy was applied for it may not need to be GFI. Not sure how that works if they renovate something that previously had occupancy. If it's a completely new unit there should be GFI in the bedroom. Or a GFI breaker on the circuit.

Never heard of anyone requiring a whole house. If the basement is setup as a bachelor style I could see everything there needing to be GFI, don't know about childproof. Haven't heard of those being required at all, but I don't know a whole lot about codes.

7question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Kitchens and bathrooms require GFI outlets regardless...

8question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:41 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

on a related note.

I dont think my circuit breaker works and I want to test it. Is there a cheap method that is safer then jamming a fork in the outlet?

9question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

yes, your finger or p-Enis...which ever you happen to find first.

Smile

10question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JT Estoban wrote:
RogerStrong wrote:I just moved into a just-renovated apartment building. Among other things, it has all new electrical. The bedroom outlets aren't GFI protected.

Check the electrical panel. You can install a arc-fault breaker for the bedroom circut(s), that's would be considered adequate protection in place of installing all new GFI outlets in bedrooms.
Actually it's not either GFI or Arc-Fault. Arc-Fault only are required in bedrooms.

11question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:49 am

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:on a related note.

I dont think my circuit breaker works and I want to test it. Is there a cheap method that is safer then jamming a fork in the outlet?

Have you tried plugging something into it?

12question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:53 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If you place a GFI receptacle in series you can protect everything on the same circuit. The GFI receptacle has to be the first device on that circuit. That said, I'd keep the receptacle nearby to test it.

Once again, don't confuse GFI with Arc fault.

13question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

umcrouc0 wrote:

The break might carry the current, turn off and on, but might not trip. I don't know of any test to see if it will trip though.

What makes you believe it is faulty?

14question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umcrouc0 wrote:

I mean the entire breaker box... dont think any of them trip. I have lived in the house 5 years now and not once has one EVER tripped... even when the two space heaters in the garage almost started a fire from overloading the wires.

15question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 am

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

grumpy old man wrote:If you place a GFI receptacle in series you can protect everything on the same circuit. The GFI receptacle has to be the first device on that circuit.

Cool! That would explain the plugs on either side of my kitchen sink. The GFI protected one is closest to the electrical panel.

16question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:01 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

well...i don't really understand the whole house thing, if the rental unit is a separate/isolated section...but certainly the rental section should be updated.

The exception would be, since he just built new...he should have put the TR outlets in to begin with...as that's what code has been since 2008.

17question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:03 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:
umcrouc0 wrote:

I mean the entire breaker box... dont think any of them trip. I have lived in the house 5 years now and not once has one EVER tripped... even when the two space heaters in the garage almost started a fire from overloading the wires.

Ahh, to force it to trip. I don't know of a safe way to do that. I know of unsafe way to do it.

18question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Or maybe the inspector is wrong. Mayhaps a read of the covering code is required...

19question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:well...i don't really understand the whole house thing, if the rental unit is a separate/isolated section...but certainly the rental section should be updated.

The exception would be, since he just built new...he should have put the TR outlets in to begin with...as that's what code has been since 2008.

his electrical contractor should have known that right?

20question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:Or maybe the inspector is wrong. Mayhaps a read of the covering code is required...

whose code would that be?

City? Province?

21question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:07 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

There's a basement development pdf on the City of Winnipeg site that has some basic electrical in it. All the recepticals they have in a sample wiring diagram are tamper resistant.

It references some other booklet with guildelines.

22question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:10 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:I mean the entire breaker box... dont think any of them trip. I have lived in the house 5 years now and not once has one EVER tripped... even when the two space heaters in the garage almost started a fire from overloading the wires.
Very unlikely that every breaker is bad. I would not worry too much that they've not tripped. Your house may be very well wired.

That said, a trick electricians use is to dead-short the two wires on the circuit. I don't recommend this if you don't know what you're doing.

On a dead-short the breaker should trip instantly.

Another thing to do is turn the breakers off and on (called exercising the breaker) regularly. This ensures the contacts don't get fused together over years of use.

Lastly, you can tell the difference between a tripped breaker from one that is simply off. Most breakers have a trip-free position, usually dead centre. If tripped it might LOOK off but the handle will be loose. To reset turn it all the way to off then on.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

23question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:11 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:well...i don't really understand the whole house thing, if the rental unit is a separate/isolated section...but certainly the rental section should be updated.

his electrical contractor should have known that right?
If part of the CEC (Canadian Electrical Code) the electrical contractor should have known that and should have installed the correct devices.

24question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:12 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Ok...I am NOT a certified electrician, but one of my best friends is, and has been to my house frequently educating me on the codes...and

As part of my job, I'm REQUIRED to learn some of the codes and have taken several courses for doing so...

#1 - Arc-fault is a breaker...it goes in the breaker box. IF you have arc-fault breakers, you DO NOT put a GFI outlet on it...no matter what room it goes to. It will NOT increase your protection...one could actually cause the other to fail.
#2 - GFI outlets can NOT be used as the first part of a chain for bathrooms or kitchens. Each outlet in those rooms must be GFI alone (unless arc-fault breakers are installed)...that said...
#3 - Kitchen outlets must have independent wiring run to EACH outlet within 1m of the sink or water source...they can share a common ground, but must each have a separate lead wire. Quite typically these days...a 3-wire is run to an outlet with a red feeding a top socket, and a black feeding the bottom, and a shared/common neutral (white).
#4 - Most of the changes for the codes came in late 2008, and will be required in all new construction and home renovations by 2011...though the inspectors are requesting/requiring changes being made now for some things (like the TR outlets). Basically they are allowing a timeframe to use up old wiring before requiring the change.

Like I said though...I'm not a certified electrician, but these few things I do know, and have installed enough electrical components over the last few years (which have been inspected by both an electrician and an inspector) to know they are accurate.

And Dean...yes...there is a device you can buy that will trip breakers to test them. It's a plug that's grounded...and it's designed to safely trip a breaker.

25question for landlords/renters Empty Re: question for landlords/renters Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:16 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

BTW DeanK is the panel in question a Federal Pioneer panel?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum