the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aboriginals ......

+15
Ex-Pat-Pegger
AGEsAces
Deank
Freeman
sputnik
EdWin
MrMyles
death128
eastsider
Goth_chic
grumpy old man
LivingDead
Northlands
KellyH
nickelback
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:27 am

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

sputnik wrote:
Freeman wrote:OK, I'm one that first thought Sput and NB were one in the same, so sue me!! I've since repented. but who really knows who is who around here. Maybe I'm Alex?

I think everyone here by now knows that you are Sean.
Can't find the damned "BAN" button....

52Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

sputnik wrote:LOL

Just noticed this thread. Can't believe some of you thought I was "nickelback".

I am pretty sure it was Sean from the "other forum".

Better watch out Sputnik....they may ban you from the dark side.

53Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:57 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:OK, I'm one that first thought Sput and NB were one in the same, so sue me!! I've since repented. but who really knows who is who around here. Maybe I'm Alex?

No...I'M Alex...not THAT Alex...but AN Alex Very Happy.

Maybe on this forum I can be "THE" Alex...and that way Alex can be a good thing again Very Happy.

http://www.photage.ca

54Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 am

Anonymous

Alex the Good.

55Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Our company (and industry) has a wide variety of people we hire.

It's a common thing to "judge" an applicant based on race...not because a race is bad...but because a higher percentage of a specific race has caused problems than others.

It's like that argument about why are prisons filled with (in Canada) more Natives? (in the US) more blacks?
It's because they are committing the crimes.

But a race in itself is not bad...some of our best workers are native...including a couple of supervisors. But I'll admit it's not the majority. When you have guys who show up to work for a couple of days, and then disappear for no reason...that's a lack of respect. When they come to work drunk, or so hung over they can't function...that's a lack of respect.

We do our best to treat EVERYONE who applies and starts working with as much respect as anyone else, but it does make it hard when we've hired 30 people over the past 4 months...of which 25 of them were Native, and only 3 are still working...and we haven't fired anyone.

56Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am

Anonymous

Ever heard of "Indian Time"? It's a very real term for a very real thing.

57Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:48 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yeah...there's all kinds of "times".

If you're a Mormon...there's "Mormon Time" (15 minutes late for everything)
If you're a Mason...there's "Mason Time" (5 minutes late to start, 1 hour late to finish)

And different cultures have their own "times", as do religions...but if you're going to function in a society, and expect a society to support you...you have to make adjustments individually.

I'd love to work on "my time"...as I am a night-person...I could easily work from 8pm-8am without worry of being sleepy...and am comfortable in the dark...but I can't do that and function in my job...so if you can't function, don't apply.

58Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Like Ages, I, too have been in the dark most of my life. The point is well taken that while it would be nice to only eat when we're hungry and sleep when we're tired, it just doesn't work that way. I find it disrespectful when I'm at a meeting waiting for someone who is 10 minutes late. Who says that their time is more valuable than mine?
A workplace can make some accomodation for flexible hours, within parameters, but our workplace experiences the same issues as what Ages describes. I guess the only difference is that we're dealing with young people and we're trying to teach them how the real world works. Sometimes it even works.

59Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Anonymous

I didn't know about Mormon and Mason times.

What if you're a mormon mason? Or, are they not allowed to cross-dress?

60Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Then of course, there are good times and bad times. There are also lean times, something I haven't experienced since my mid 20's. There are dark times and I could cast some light on that subject.

61Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:08 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

On the news this morning I heard a story about a chief that ran a campaign that the existing chief paid himself $370k~ and that if elected he'll change that. He won and he did. His salary? $300k. The reason? The outgoing chief screwed things up so badly and he deserved to be paid that much.

Doer's salary? $152k
Harper? $155k

That seems about right eh?

62Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:22 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:Yeah...there's all kinds of "times".

If you're a Mormon...there's "Mormon Time" (15 minutes late for everything)
If you're a Mason...there's "Mason Time" (5 minutes late to start, 1 hour late to finish)

And different cultures have their own "times", as do religions...but if you're going to function in a society, and expect a society to support you...you have to make adjustments individually.

I'd love to work on "my time"...as I am a night-person...I could easily work from 8pm-8am without worry of being sleepy...and am comfortable in the dark...but I can't do that and function in my job...so if you can't function, don't apply.
Don't forget all the troubles American companies had when first setting up factories in Mexico. There was Mexican Time. at 11am to 2pm was nap time, bloody lazy mexicans everyone thought. Nothing they could do to get them to work between these hours. So what they did was work 4 hours before and 4 hours after. Adjusted the schedule and now look at all the wonderful things built in Mexico, and their productivity is very good too. Moral of the story, they weren't lazy, it was their culture to nap during the hottest part of the day.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

63Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

sputnik wrote:LOL.

Is there proof of this? Maybe I should go to NW and stir the pot; oops too late, I already did :twisted:

64Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:06 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yes he did...

65Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Even if NB is a mod from the other site... so what? Its not like all of NBs comments are that way that ticked people off.

66Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:17 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nah, I give the mods over there some credit for being quite intelligent. Maybe lacking a little in judgment what with how they handled things. But I can't recall those mods posting juvenile dredge. No, I do not believe it is a NW mod.

67Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

still say its sputnik!

68Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:29 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

For the record we are NOT nor will we be investigating anyone's background, their IP addresses, NADA. I want this forum war to end. They can go about their business and we'll go about ours.

Furthermore, to members of this forum, if you want to identify yourself and any personal information in THIS space that is fine.

However those not identifying themselves here, nor providing personal information here, deserve their privacy.

Please do not disclose private information about other members in public in this space without first seeking and receiving their written permission. I think I can say on this one issue, I will seek to suspend members for violating this rule.

69Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

seems fair enough..

unless it accidental or not meant to "out" the person..
like.. Dean.. you are president of a CC right?

something like that would be okay right?

70Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:10 pm

nickelback

so what are the rules again?

71Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:seems fair enough..

unless it accidental or not meant to "out" the person..
like.. Dean.. you are president of a CC right?

something like that would be okay right?
Like the world doesn't know that already?

72Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:For the record we are NOT nor will we be investigating anyone's background, their IP addresses, NADA. I want this forum war to end. They can go about their business and we'll go about ours.

Furthermore, to members of this forum, if you want to identify yourself and any personal information in THIS space that is fine.

However those not identifying themselves here, nor providing personal information here, deserve their privacy.

Please do not disclose private information about other members in public in this space without first seeking and receiving their written permission. I think I can say on this one issue, I will seek to suspend members for violating this rule.
GOM, seems fair enough to me. I enjoy my privacy and I should decide how much to tell and I respect others right as well.
So I won't tell everyone that I saw you in the back room at Dominion News yesterday afternoon. Very Happy

73Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:43 pm

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

EdWin wrote:
sputnik wrote:LOL.

Is there proof of this? Maybe I should go to NW and stir the pot; oops too late, I already did :twisted:

I saw you go on there for a bit. No one fessed up though.

74Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:01 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Hey EPP. Good to see ya. Enjoy playing in our sandbox.

75Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:02 pm

nickelback

Freeman wrote:So I won't tell everyone that I saw you in the back room at Dominion News yesterday afternoon.
ahhh!! you just did.

76Aboriginals ...... - Page 3 Empty Re: Aboriginals ...... Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:28 pm

KellyH

KellyH

grumpy old man wrote:For the record we are NOT nor will we be investigating anyone's background, their IP addresses, NADA. I want this forum war to end. They can go about their business and we'll go about ours.

Thank you Grumpy Old Man Smile

I enjoy your philosophy on this forum.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum