the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

did the conservatives just win the next federal election?

+4
Winklovic
AGEsAces
eViL tRoLl
Deank
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/tories-want-review-of-affirmative-action-hiring-in-public-service-99031834.html

" The Conservatives say race and ethnicity shouldn't enter into the
hiring process for federal jobs and have ordered a review of affirmative
action policies.

They want to look at government hiring practices, which currently give priority to qualified applicants from minority groups."

Anonymous

PAT MARTIN IS A fri cken IDIOT!!

What part of discrimination does he not understand?

I say that the Feds should take it a step further and drop the bilingual bullsh it too!!

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

I thought "affirmative action" was some sort of US thing. Anyway, the best qualified applicants should get the job regardless of minority status. If however there should be two equally qualified top applicants I see nothing wrong with creating diversity at the workplace and preferring the candidate from an under-represented group.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

From Pat Martin:
"It is paranoia on their part, though, because we are nowhere near achieving equity in the face of the public-service workforce," he said.
"I don't think they can make a case that white, middle-class people are being denied access to public service jobs, or that there's any preference shown."

Umm...hello? Can't make a case?The very FACT that there's a policy in place means people are being denied jobs and that preference IS being shown. Whether anyone is actually hired or not hired because of the policy is irrelevant...the fact that the government is discriminating using the policy means there is a case.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How many white men simply dont apply because it basically says not to bother?

Anonymous

eViL tRoLl wrote:I thought "affirmative action" was some sort of US thing.
lol....Pat Martin agreeing with anything American??? did the conservatives just win the next federal election? Icon_eek What a day!!!
Anyway, the best qualified applicants should get the job regardless of minority status.
Full stop please!!

If however there should be two equally qualified top applicants I see nothing wrong with creating diversity at the workplace and preferring the candidate from an under-represented group.

I do.

Firstly, it's almost impossible to have two equal candidates, and secondly, the parameters should be expanded if there are candidates with similiar abilities. imo

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Firstly, it's almost impossible to have two equal candidates, and
secondly, the parameters should be expanded if there are candidates with
similiar abilities. imo"

seems like the perfect time for this joke

As a result of the company’s recent financial
troubles, the boss had to get rid of somebody. He narrowed it down to
one of two people, Debra or Jack.

It was an impossible decision because they were both
super workers so rather than flip a coin, he decided he would fire the
first one who used the water cooler the next morning.

Debra came in the next morning with a horrible hangover after partying all night. She went to the cooler to take an aspirin.

The boss approached her and said: “Debra, I’ve never done this before but I have to lay you or Jack off.”

“Could you jack off?” she asked. “I feel like sh1t.”

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:
eViL tRoLl wrote:If however there should be two equally qualified top applicants I see nothing wrong with creating diversity at the workplace and preferring the candidate from an under-represented group.

I do.

Firstly, it's almost impossible to have two equal candidates, and secondly, the parameters should be expanded if there are candidates with similiar abilities. imo

Good point...but some parameters ARE vague.
A primary example would be "fit".
If you have two candidates who are equally capable on paper...there has to be taken into account the things that are NOT written...such as:
Sex - if the majority of the workforce is men, a woman may NOT fit, as she may become a target for unwanted advances or innuendo (or vice versa)
Ethnicity - if you notice anything about ethnicity, you'll see that generally, "like meets like"...and usually "cliques" will form within a workforce based on that. If your business has 10 natives and 5 white guys working...you might not want to hire the guy from Nigeria if there's a native or white guy who's "equally" capable.

Things like these are not to discriminate, they are to address reality and human nature...and to provide a work environment that is not "forced" creating additional (and unnecessary) stress in the workplace.

http://www.photage.ca

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

[quote="AGEsAcesA primary example would be "fit". [/quote]
I would include compatibility with corporate culture in the list for key qualifications, and not as an afterthought.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I have to agree. who among us would almost for sure not hire a goth? which tend to be WHITE people?

They almost as a rule would not fit in with most corporate cultures.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well if the conies didn;t win it just by asking to look into it.

iggie just won it for them

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/liberal-leader-comes-out-swinging-on-affirmative-action-before-multiethnic-crowd-99114019.html

Can anyone even believe this crap?

"We believe in affirmative action," Ignatieff said in a speech to a multiethnic crowd.

"We believe each Canadian has the right to participate in the public service."
ummm the term mutually exclusive comes to mind

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

Iggy loves affirmative action because it keeps Ukrainians out of the public service.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Governments have never hired "qulified" before! Whi in the government would recognize one of those??

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Thats true look at the leaders of the parties .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Thats true look at the leaders of the parties .

You mena the "elected" leaders, as opposed to the employees who are "hired". Kind of different isn't it?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I like the fact that white men with grey hair decide most issues!

http://www.elansofas.com

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

Don't forget the French speaking part.

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

eViL tRoLl wrote:I thought "affirmative action" was some sort of US thing.

Years ago a farming-related federal government agency needed a FoxPro programmer. They put out the usual job ads and no-one applied.

I was contacted by an employee who knew that I was a FoxPro programmer, and I agreed to take the job. But there was one catch: I had to submit my resume through normal channels.

I went to the hiring office and handed them my resume. They refused to take it, saying that they only accepted resumes "from women and visible minorities." I asked, "So won't hire white males?" The response: "We hire ANYONE! But currently we only accept resumes from women and visible minorities." "No, you can't be hired without submitting your resume."

The person hiring me pulled some strings - they REALLY needed a programmer - and got them to accept my resume. I visited again and dropped it off.

It came back in the mail two weeks later with a note saying that they only accepted resumes from women and visible minorities. I took another job.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

awesome

Anonymous

You should have said that you were a woman, ort a black guy with a 'skin condition'.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum