the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

city ignores chickens..

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1city ignores chickens.. Empty city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

2city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:38 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That proposal really laid an egg eh?

Do you suppose there is a huge groundswell of support for backyard chicken coops?

3city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nope

are there a few? yup ....

are there enough to make it an election issue? Not in most wards.

4city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:44 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

what's good about it?

If i read it right, they are basically saying people can't keep a few chickens for laying eggs?

what kind of crap is that?

If I own the property...I can do what I want with it!!! If i want a few chickens...that's my business.
If someone doesn't like it...they can complain (as long as it's valid like smell, noise, etc.)...otherwise...it's nobody's business.

If I was a tenant (paying rent)...then it should be up to my landlord as to whether I can have chickens.

The government needs to get out of people's personal lives.

4 laying hens can keep my family in eggs far cheaper than buying them at the store...and teaches my kid(s) responsibility on taking care of animals and life in general.

http://www.photage.ca

5city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:53 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I want to keep a couple horses in my backyard. Some goats too. Oh, and an ostrich. Heh heh. It's my back yard.

AA, what if the noise drives your neighbours batty? Is it okay then? And what about the mess? The smell?

You should keep your chickens in your basement! city ignores chickens.. Icon_smile

6city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

where do you stop?
goats?
sheep?
milk/beef cow?
a horse to ride?

We live in a city. Cities operate by different rules then in the country. Its part of something you give up when moving to a city, in exchange for the benefits of moving to a city.

7city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Oh, I want to start a dog breeding business as well. For pit bulls. I promise to keep the number at four or less and clean up after them.

8city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Part of me tends to agree with you AA...and what you stated above would demolish the city's animal control policy, thereby allowing me to legally keep more than the 3 cats I'm currently allowed, but have....ignored...for a while.

My solution was to just leave the city....

Seems to work for most.

Live outside the perimeter...own as many chickens you want.

9city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Heh. City council makes the rules up as they go anyway. The River Heights cat lady is allowed as many cats as she wants despite the stink that apparently emanates from her abode. I would not want her as a neighbour. And I'm a cat lover!

10city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:08 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Agreed...I wouldn't want to live next door to that lady either! Nor would I want to live nextdoor to someone with chickens. I get the pleasure of smelling dung all day from the mushroom grow-op in St.B. That's quite enough stink for inside the city as it is!

I figured with all the stray cats and sorry cases that get deposited in our laps we could be a foster home or half-way home type of thing, but the wifey gets too attached, so it would never work. A foster home is supposed to be a 'temporary' stop on the way to a forever home for these guys....my wife would turn into the crazy cat lady in no time! lol

So instead, we'll live in the city, breaking the law by two, until we can afford to move outside the city where nobody cares.

11city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:16 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

but...it's MY property.

Again...if a neighbor doesn't like it, they can file a complaint...and dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Moving into the city doesn't change the fact that I own the property...it just means I don't own as much for the buck.

My "taxes" ensure the public roads, sidewalks, garbage, sewage, etc. are dealt with...they should not be there to tell me what I can and can't do on my own property.

And some of your examples as arguments are silly...though I'll address them...

Want a horse? sure...go ahead...how much property do you own?
A horse REQUIRES at least 3 acres of land or you can be charged with cruelty.

Cows? 2 cows per acre of land.

Goats? Well...they are easier..and I don't see why someone can't have a couple goats...as pets or for milk.
Though...again...know how to raise them. You don't own just 1 goat...you need at least 2.

And I'm not talking about having a chicken farm with hundreds of chickens (and neither are those proposing the bylaw change)...they are talking about having up to about a dozen (maybe two) on their property, caged/contained and used for personal egg production or meat production.

The very moment they start marketing meat or eggs...NOW they fall into a new category and are breaking reasonable laws to prevent business ventures which may cause detriment to those around.

12city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. growing up my cat would travel over two miles to "go get some"

13city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

is it really your property if you don't own everything on or under said property? Such as mineral rights, or oil and gas?

city ignores chickens.. Icon_wink

I've decided that I no longer need to obtain building permits or follow building codes. I can damn well build anything I want on my property, any way that I want, and any size....so long as I'm on my property!

14city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:33 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

you can...you really can.

unless....

that building violates building codes and you either try to sell it, create a hazard to those around you, or encroaches upon a neighboring property.

15city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:35 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

building codes don't apply to my property, it's mine.

16city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

see.. now that is something I dont get.

As long as the building codes dont impact anyone around me. Why is it any of the goverments business?

Like a deck for instance. Anything over height X ( 2 feet? I think) needs to have a railing and such and that railing and such can not allow anyone to climb on it and so forth.

Why? so someone dont get hurt? Aint that MY responsibility to ensure people on my property do not get hurt? why does the government need to make regulations on that?

Or anyone with a pool must have a 6 foot fence around and it must be lockable gate and blah blah blah. WHY!!!? If those people are coming on to my property and drowning themselves.. to bad, so sad, dont fucken trespass.

17city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:39 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JT Estoban wrote:building codes don't apply to my property, it's mine.

yes...they do apply...if one of the above applies.

prime example...you want a new shed on your property...so you build one...but you run an underground electrical line to feed the shed for lights & power.

Now you want to sell the property...so you list it...and are informed the shed wasn't built to code and has to be removed.

or...and inspector comes by and sees a "new shed" popped up...but the shed is less than 6" from the neighbors property line...so he informs you you're encroaching and have to move the shed.

Generally...it's to keep you from burning down the REST of the neighborhood, or causing inconvenience or injury to others around you....but yes...you can build what you want...to a point.

What MOST people don't realize...is that applies to property ANYWHERE...not just in a 'city' limit...it's just not as strictly enforced in rural areas.

18city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL.. had a friend who would move his mobile home to a different part of his property every time the inspector would come by ( it was by appointment all the time). All to save himself a whole $250 per year.

19city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:44 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:see.. now that is something I dont get.

As long as the building codes dont impact anyone around me. Why is it any of the goverments business?

Like a deck for instance. Anything over height X ( 2 feet? I think) needs to have a railing and such and that railing and such can not allow anyone to climb on it and so forth.

Why? so someone dont get hurt? Aint that MY responsibility to ensure people on my property do not get hurt? why does the government need to make regulations on that?

Or anyone with a pool must have a 6 foot fence around and it must be lockable gate and blah blah blah. WHY!!!? If those people are coming on to my property and drowning themselves.. to bad, so sad, dont fucken trespass.

If you believe the so-called "safety" people...there are several reasons for these.

1) emergency personnel - it allows a standardization in case they have to tend to an emergency...so if they are moving across a deck over 2' high...they should be able to rely on a rail
2) children under (X) - especially for the pool thing...kids will travel & explore...that's why a pool over 2' deep requires a fence with a gate, etc. to keep curious kids out

20city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Or ... I have to make my house less secure and actually make it easier to break into. Thats a ridiculous bylaw/law. I have to be less safe.. all so that police and fire fighters and other officials can get into my house easier. how dumb is that?

21city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:see.. now that is something I dont get.

If you believe the so-called "safety" people...there are several reasons for these.

1) emergency personnel - it allows a standardization in case they have to tend to an emergency...so if they are moving across a deck over 2' high...they should be able to rely on a rail
2) children under (X) - especially for the pool thing...kids will travel & explore...that's why a pool over 2' deep requires a fence with a gate, etc. to keep curious kids out

1) They are adults. If they cant negotiate a deck with no railing that is a problem. Or better yet, they dont have to actually respond to an entrance off a deck with no railing. Done. Then its my fault.

2) Too bad. The kids should be trained proper respect by their parents. Is there a 6 foot fence around every retention pond?

22city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:51 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:1) They are adults. If they cant negotiate a deck with no railing that is a problem. Or better yet, they dont have to actually respond to an entrance off a deck with no railing. Done. Then its my fault.

2) Too bad. The kids should be trained proper respect by their parents. Is there a 6 foot fence around every retention pond?

You're funny...and you have kids...do you have control of them 24/7? Smile)

Parents don't teach their kids to jump in retention ponds...they DO teach them to jump into a pool.

23city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nope. But I have taught them if they do something stupid to be prepared for the consequences and

STAY THE HELL OFF OF OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY...

I never swam in a pool until I was 11 years old. It was always ponds and lakes. To a kid a retention pond is no different then a pond or lake.

24city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:21 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I was havin' fun with ya AA, but you're arguments seem contradictory...

For example, you say you should be able to keep two dozen chickens because it's YOUR property. But I can't build anything I want even though it is MY property?

How about if I build a two story chicken coop in my backyard but I don't run electricity or plumbing to it? Would that be okay?

Safety is the issue? What happens when your chickens get mad chicken disease?

25city ignores chickens.. Empty Re: city ignores chickens.. Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"What happens when your chickens get mad chicken disease?"

They run as NDP supported City Council Candidates?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum