the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

dual citizenship

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1dual citizenship Empty dual citizenship Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have a friend in the states who asked me today about getting Canadian citizenship. His father was a Canadian citizen. He is American. I know there are some of you here who have dual situations so anything you can tell me, then I can pass it on to him as I have never dealt with this sort of query before. Thank you in advance.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

2dual citizenship Empty Re: dual citizenship Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:51 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Does anyone know if one man, and possibly his girlfriend, can get dual citizenship in Australia if you move there from Canada, with only cousins living there as your next of kin, or are you stuck with just maintaining one single citizenship?

3dual citizenship Empty Re: dual citizenship Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If your American friend has certain qualifications and/or enough money to invest I believe the process is expedited.

Australia has stringent immigration policies. Much more so than Canada.

That's about the extent of my very limited immigration/emigration knowledge.

4dual citizenship Empty Re: dual citizenship Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:09 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

EdWin wrote:Does anyone know if one man, and possibly his girlfriend, can get dual citizenship in Australia if you move there from Canada, with only cousins living there as your next of kin, or are you stuck with just maintaining one single citizenship?

Other countries that are in the common wealth make it fairly easy to get citizenship back and forth.

5dual citizenship Empty Re: dual citizenship Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

MizP...if the guy's father was a Canadian citizen (and he has documented proof), then he is ENTITLED to dual citizenship and can send in the application.

For Australia/Canada...it's easy for dual citizenship, as both were once British subjects, and basically have the same program as the other....just fill out the forms (they can be found online) and send in the fees.

Canada and the US both have an "expedited" process where it costs an extra $100 or so...and that's part of the application. The expedition though does not guarantee anything, other than once it's processed, the information is sent overnight instead of a few weeks.

As far as dual-citizenship for the US & Canada...TYPICALLY Canada doesn't care, but the US may send a letter asking you to "pick" a citizenship. They usually want proof that you require two.

I've been dealing with this process for the past 7 years (immigration, not citizenship)...and have now begun the citizenship process, so have been studying it quite thoroughly.

http://www.photage.ca

6dual citizenship Empty Re: dual citizenship Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Ages....great info! Have forwarded to my friend.....excelllente! dual citizenship 62795

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

7dual citizenship Empty Re: dual citizenship Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:23 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yes, thank you for the info. I have found myself utterly frustrated with the increadibly teadious and seriously flawed immigration policies for the United States. Many people are left waiting 15-20 years to become citizens. I'm very frustrated with their process. This is why Australia is now in the mix for me. It's good to know that they see Canadians as valuable contributors to their economic sector and will make life easy for us Canucks to immigrate. Also, I have family down in Melbourne, with whom I am currently discussing sponsorship with, so that would make my life even easier. I will be making a trip to the land down under in a year or so to check out my potential new digs. I've always dreamed of going to Australia, and now I have a valid excuse!!!
I'm not totally giving up on the USA, but they are seriously pissing me off with their immigration policies. It's definately between the two, but so far, it's now leaning more and more towards Aussieland.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum