the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

City of Winnipeg releases 25-year draft plan

+4
Deank
Triniman
Outsider
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

CBC News
City of Winnipeg releases 25-year draft plan Tp-winnipegdowntown
Winnipeggers are being asked to help form the city's longterm plans by commenting on a policy draft document called Our Winnipeg.Winnipeggers are being asked to help form the city's longterm plans by commenting on a policy draft document called Our Winnipeg. (CBC)

The City of Winnipeg's blueprint for the next 25 years predicts an influx of residents but a shortage of land for them to build homes.

The policy document, Our Winnipeg, describes how the city should grow and develop physically, socially, environmentally, and economically over the next quarter century, covering everything from industrial and residential land to transportation and sustainability.

Mayor Sam Katz released the draft document Wednesday, calling it a broad policy statement on the city's future.

But it's more like a guess at where the city is heading, based upon trends as viewed from 2010.

It predicts that by 2031 there will be 180,000 new residents in the city, pushing the population close to 900,000. However, it also estimates the city has just 13 years worth of land left for residential development.

It says neighbourhoods should be diverse, that water and waste services must be secure, safe and clean, and that the transportation system should promote an active lifestyle.
First draft

This is the first draft of the document, which was assembled from feedback provided to SpeakUpWinnipeg.com, a website launched in April 2009, to provide people an opportunity to post comments, participate in polls, share videos of their vision for the city's future.

'The Our Winnipeg process is all about actively engaging the people who live here in planning our future.'—Mayor Sam Katz
There were more than five million hits to the website and direct input from over 42,000 Winnipeggers.

The site also serves as a way for the city to share its research and to report back to its citizens.

Now, the city is asking for comments regarding the draft, both on the website and in six public information sessions to be held from May 27 to June 3. The input will be compiled into a report that will accompany the final version of Our Winnipeg through the bylaw and public hearing processes down the road.

“The Our Winnipeg process is all about actively engaging the people who live here in planning our future,” said Katz.

“We all want a city defined by its sustainability, opportunity, and sense of community pride. The best way to achieve these things is to work collaboratively with Winnipeggers and that’s just what we’ve being doing in developing this civic plan.”

The draft document cost $3.2 million to put together. Half the cost was covered by the province, the other half by the city.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It's good to see a long-term plan - no matter what individuals may think of it.

Now let's see hard and fast action plans and policies to cement the plan and move forward.

For instance, if densification is needed put tax policies in place that will penalize sprawl and rewards townhouse and high-rises and core development etc...

Make it happen!

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Any bets on how long it takes to put this plan on the back burner to gather dust?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Let the free market decide. No new taxes.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Outsider wrote:Any bets on how long it takes to put this plan on the back burner to gather dust?

two years, same as the last long term plan.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I heard one of the organizers on CJOB this evening. Very bland, same ole, same ole goals. Generic plan.

Anonymous

Methinks they are fudging the proposed population numbers to allow more urban sprawl....just you wait and see.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Will you and I be here to see it?

Anonymous

I doubt that I will be around then...but you will be I reckon.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

What's the point of the plan?

I thought we already had a plan...'Plan Winnipeg' or something like that? What's wrong with that plan? Too old? Time for an update? Change in direction?

Or was this, as is usual, nobody following the existing plan put in place anyway, so to make things kosher again in the eyes on the general populace (sheeple), it's time for a new "plan" that everyone can get behind just to ignore when millionaire "joe-blow-moneybags" comes along and decides he's got enough "clout" to do whatever he wants anyway...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Who knows. It looks like the city does not seem to have a direction. We react.

If this is the "new" plan, great. Just fricken work it.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm of the opinion that if we're just going to 'wing it' as usual, wtf is the purpose or function of developing a "plan"...other than for optics.

I'd prefer we had a "plan" and stuck with it, making necessary changes and alterations as needed, based on a logical set of guidelines.

However, considering we develop plans and never stick to them, fine, lets save the money on planning and developing the plans, and use it for fixing our busted infrastructure already.

A goal without a plan is just a wish...

Anonymous

It (the draft) predicts that by 2031 there will be 180,000 new residents in the city

I don't believe this number.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

wow...that's a huge draw for a museum.. (poke, poke, poke) City of Winnipeg releases 25-year draft plan 970993

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Plan Winnipeg, I believe got its genesis back in the 80's then there was the Core Area Initiative and Winnipeg 2000....were there other "plans"?

Here is a plan.....get rid of the decrepit housing stock that has become an eyesore in the core area and replace it with cooperative housing ("ownership" or the concept thereof tends to foster more respect for one's space)....create more green spaces with multi-uses....bike paths.....repair aging and outdated infrastructure.....encourage businesses that are not tacky dollar stores to move downtown like a decent grocery market?.....

They talk in this "plan" of needing more space for housing - well then, let's use what we have instead of taking up more farmland for ugly cookie cutter burbs.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Just another way of burning 3.2 million bucks towards architects' projects and filling cement holes in the Canadian Hum
Spoiler:
Any first grade kid can come up with something more interesting, and for merely a hand full of candy in return.
By the way, I didn't read the article yet, and I'm just assuming the comments here are authentic.
City of Winnipeg releases 25-year draft plan Icon_smile

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

I think it is a pretty good vision for the city.

However if we aren't going to hold City Hall accountable during elections, media coverage or simply calling your counselor it isn't worth the paper its written on.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Seems better than nothing.
Seems more expensive than nothing.
The charts seem to go on in complete stability.
Seems good that I didn't read the full hundred and whatever pages.
Seems they put in some nice photos.
Seems someone has a healthy bank account now.
Seems like a copy and paste project from the 50's, or even earlier...
Now to sum up:
I hope things get WAY BETTER than what's predicted in the draft plan.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Miz point wrote:

Here is a plan.....get rid of the decrepit housing stock that has become an eyesore in the core area and replace it with cooperative housing ("ownership" or the concept thereof tends to foster more respect for one's space)

Can't get rid of these old houses. Some of them MAY have some obscure historical significance. IMHO if these historians want to save the dump, they should put up THEIR OWN money to buy the place and fix it up without any taxpayer assistance!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum