the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

People need to start eating their traditional diets

+11
Freeman
rosencrentz
Jondo
grumpy old man
EdWin
AGEsAces
AdamX
Goth_chic
FlyingRat
Miz point
Deank
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahem... read the link at the start of this Smile

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Does Havana Club count???

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:ahem... read the link at the start of this Smile

who reads links? Wink

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

According to the study, that means a gene transfer took place as part of evolution.

This is an important finding.

If memory serves, the diabetecs study about aboriginals was focused toward finding a reason for their high rate of diabetes and Dean, it sure never went anywhere near those suggestions of yours I'm sure.

But we seem to have a theme here.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WTF? I just had a lovely dinner of ptarmigan stomach with caribou guts yesterday. What's the big deal?

So some rocket surgeon believes that because Indians don't eat those foods their health is affected? What a load of rubbish. Sounds like another excuse for the chiefs to hang their hat on when demanding more money.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I sit by Rod Bruinooge (MP)at church and if you've seen him recently you'd be amazed. He started eating a tradition aboriginal diet in March and we went from 225lbs to 160lbs in 4 months. That means wild meat and no packaged foods basically - and limited sugar.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Do you suppose a non-aboriginal person under the same circumstances would have the same results? This is not about being denied access to certain foods rather it's about food choices?

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yes for sure. I only made that connection because one of the papers did a full-cover story on his weight-loss and he attributed it to "eating a tradional aboriginal diet". Then he went on to describe pretty much what applies everybody - what not to eat - more than anything. Fried food was a biggie and then of course eating raw vegetable and fruit. He threw in the Bannock bit instead of bread - I guess that made it "aboriginal" diet. In any case - the gist was eating healthy food, not too much of it - and weaning off of sugar. His transformation is in anybody's future - if they can get past the first week of detox and cravings.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ppfft... bannock does not equal aboriginal...

or did they have magical flour mills that they carried on their backs with them?

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Thanks Dean for saying that as there was no baking powder, lard or wheat flour in the native larder prior to the arrival of the Europeans. In fact bannock is more related to the Scottish scone.....not some aboriginal invention.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Comment removed by moderator.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inappropriate comment.)

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just checked some unimportant facts. Our ancestors of 600 years ago lived to an average age of 33 years old! Anyone think about that? lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Fat Boy & Fries for $5 at Juniors

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Jondo wrote:I sit by Rod Bruinooge (MP)at church and if you've seen him recently you'd be amazed. He started eating a tradition aboriginal diet in March and we went from 225lbs to 160lbs in 4 months. That means wild meat and no packaged foods basically - and limited sugar.

Ummm...so Atkins stole his diet from the "traditional aboriginals"?

Actually he did...admits it himself (before he died).

But it's basically been known for generations that if sugar and complex carbs are removed from a diet...the weight WILL come off.

But, typically, that can't be maintained...or the cholesterol levels spike and that affects the heart.

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

Carrots, Oats & Barley - Go equine!

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I've seen that result with virtually all Atkins "success" stories. They look godly ill when they lose all the weight and their livers and oragns are toxed right up. Then - this is what I mean by all - they gain it back quickly and then some. It's a brutal diet for the body.

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

It's hard to maintain a diet without complex carbs and sugar, etc in today's world, that's for sure. Fir those of us who live in cities and have jobs as well as those who live in remote areas with more expensive food and less choices. I don't want anyone nit-picking and critiquing the choices I make, I always cringe when I hear people slamming groups of people for their "choices". It'd be nice to at least acknowledge that "healthy choices" as far as diet and exercise can be difficult for many.

PS I also agree with Rosencrentz's point about life expectancy - "traditional" diets weren't some harbinger of great health either. They also expended energy differently than we do in their daily lives, so they needed that diet. Their whole lives were different, not just what they ate.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

AdamX wrote:what exactly is keeping people from eating their traditional foods??

I know that if i want perogies.... i eat perogies.

whats different about anyone else who buys their own groceries and makes their own decisions?

Finding pemmican at the local grocery would be like a homeless welfare absuser trying to find a job. How would todays Aboriginals find their traditional food?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

If there is a market for it the market will find them.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" How would todays Aboriginals find their traditional food?"

Fn make it

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:WTF? I just had a lovely dinner of ptarmigan stomach with caribou guts yesterday. What's the big deal?

So some rocket surgeon believes that because Indians don't eat those foods their health is affected? What a load of rubbish. Sounds like another excuse for the chiefs to hang their hat on when demanding more money.

Well, perhaps.

But there are some scientists that believe that indians don't metabolize carbohydrates well as their traditional diets consisted mainly of meat.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/03/10/bc-alertstudy.html

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:" How would todays Aboriginals find their traditional food?"

Fn make it

And how are they supposed to do that?

It is not like they have time to spare from their day jobs to go out hunt bison, moose, elk, and deer then butcher and prepare the meat/marrow/fat to mix in with all the berries they foraged for.

How will they be able to pay their bills if they spend all their time Fn Makin it?

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Fn make it

I think the stuff is free and easy to find - just roam around the woods and pick the berries and mushrooms and dead animals on the way. The whole purpose of generous reserve land allocations was to give them the ability to keep on finding their food sources.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

LivingDead wrote:

Fn make it

And how are they supposed to do that?

It is not like they have time to spare from their day jobs to go out hunt bison, moose, elk, and deer then butcher and prepare the meat/marrow/fat to mix in with all the berries they foraged for.

How will they be able to pay their bills if they spend all their time Fn Makin it?

You forgot this: sarcasm end

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Wink Forgot it on purpose. I dont ever plan on running for office.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum