the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

replace a hot water tank?

+7
umcrouc0
St Norberter
GGF
holly golightly
grumpy old man
FlyingRat
Deank
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:33 pm

Goth_chic

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You want JT Estoban to pickle you? Strange...

27replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:36 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

GGF wrote:Yeah FlyingRat I forgot to mention that you better shut the water off also because your tank will just continue to refill itself...GGF

Ha! Thanks! I was wondering when it was gonna finish draining! Laughing

28replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:37 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic pickle me:

You want JT Estoban to pickle you? Strange...

No but the gremlins might like me to pickle lots of people as you can see...GGF

29replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:38 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

JT Estoban pickle me:
JT Estoban wrote:

(side question: will anyone give you get a credit for all that copper, or would you have to take it yourself to a scrap yard? lol)

Apparently the copper is quite valuable... A landlord friend of mine had a break in to one of his vacant places, and they ripped out all the copper they good from the basement!

30replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat...Yeah it's very, very important to shut the water off first cause you would wake up tomorrow morning and it still would be draining...GGF

31replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:44 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat pickle me:

Apparently the copper is quite valuable... A landlord friend of mine had a break in to one of his vacant places, and they ripped out all the copper they good from the basement!

It's not worth much unless it is all cleaned and without any solder or other metals as connectors to copper pipe etc and the only way it's worth considerably more is if it is %100 copper only...GGF

32replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:47 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

GGF pickle me:

...unless it is all cleaned...

I wonder if the thieves clean off the solder, or just use the pipes to beat people with....

33replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

The criminals 1st beat someone with the copper pipe and then they quickly get rid of the evidence by turning in the evidence for little money...GGF

lol!

34replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

or maybe they use it for a still....

35replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:52 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

lol!

36replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat pickle me:

or maybe they use it for a still....

And then the criminals probably go around bragging about how they recycle like the good citizens...GGF

37replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:00 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat wrote:
GGF wrote:Yeah FlyingRat I forgot to mention that you better shut the water off also because your tank will just continue to refill itself...GGF

Ha! Thanks! I was wondering when it was gonna finish draining! Laughing

Heh!

And open the pressure release valve halfway up on the side, it will make it drain faster.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

38replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:09 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

St Norberter...As long as the valve is open all the way ...and your water is shut off (important) and depending on how much crap you have in it at the bottom mainly it might take a bit of time...and if it is still to slow to drain after all of the above try shaking your tank a bit if possible to move the sediment around the bottom of the tank so sediment won't be plugging up your drainage valve...GGF

39replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

I should also mention that once the tank is drained if you want to clean the bottom out as much as possible...Just turn the water back on for a few minutes and let the tank start refilling and leave the drainage valve open until what comes out is clean water again...GGF

40replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank, if you have the room for a larger tank I would go for it. We have 5 people in our house and when we replaced our tank about 12 years ago we went with an 80 because I usually did 2 loads of laundry plus 3 or 4 showers every morning before 9AM. And I only have 2 boys (hubby and son). Having the 80 had been a god send in this house. And our 80 fit into the same spot as the 40 without any worries.

41replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah.. but I am a cheap uke. If I could get away with a pot on the stove I would Smile

42replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:57 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yeah...cheap Ukes just need to run a hose from their neighbours tank Wink.

I actually researched this a few years ago myself.
Working in construction, I went to the experts...the ones who actually do the installations and sell the things.

Here's what I was told:
1) IF you can afford it...get the "on-demand" systems...however, you will need 3 units to replace a standard 40-gallon hot-water tank.
EACH unit will run between $500-800...but you'll NEVER have cold water for a shower again.

can't afford those?
2) IF you have a high-efficiency furnace (or are getting one soon), then go with an Electric Tank. As said, you could either "cap" off the chimney...OR...you could remove the chimney entirely.
If you have an existing gas HW Tank though...you still need to have a certified gas installer to cap off your existing lines, AND you are required to have a certified ELECTRICIAN install the wiring and breakers in the box (a guy who has the tools does not make him certified).

I was also told an electric HW Tank only takes a few minutes longer to heat a full tank of water, in most cases. Typically it's how much you're willing to pay as to the quality of the heating elements. Basically price a 40-gallon gas and a 40-gallon electric...if they are the same price, then the electric one probably will take 20-30% longer to heat the tank. If the electric tank is almost double the price of the gas...then the electric tank would probably actually heat FASTER than the gas.

The Hydro-loans and rebates work with both gas AND electric, depending on the model, size and where you buy it.

http://www.photage.ca

43replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Thanks all

Decided to just go with Gas again. One of the local companies is coming by later today. Offered to come as early as 5PM yesterday but, well I had ALOT to clean up Smile

44replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How often do you shower?

http://www.elansofas.com

45replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

at least once per year

46replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Whether you need to or not eh?

47replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly

48replace a hot water tank? - Page 2 Empty Re: replace a hot water tank? Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Anonymous

AGEsAces wrote:

Here's what I was told:
1) IF you can afford it...get the "on-demand" systems...however, you will need 3 units to replace a standard 40-gallon hot-water tank.
EACH unit will run between $500-800...but you'll NEVER have cold water for a shower again.

You'll never again have a really hot shower too. These are okay for the kitchen or half-bath, but really suck for showers.

And, when I checked, those units were running about $1,500 each.

We went with a 60 G electric RENTED.

We did the numbers and we couldn't believe the savings with a rental unit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum