the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op?

+2
sputnik
grumpy old man
6 posters

Which would you rather have in Winnipeg?

Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Vote_lcap40%Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Vote_rcap 40% [ 2 ]
Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Vote_lcap60%Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Vote_rcap 60% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

I miss Army Surplus. Going to MEC, and it's pricey merchandise just drive the point home. I wish there had been more of an outcry when Army Surplus closed. I was shocked to come back to Winnipeg, and see that it had closed it's doors. With MEC, it is just not the same. Thoughts?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

apples and oranges...

Can't compare the two businesses. In any event, while there may have been an outcry, those out-crying didn't spend enough money at Army Surplus to make the business viable.

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

LennyJessop wrote:I miss Army Surplus. Going to MEC, and it's pricey merchandise just drive the point home. I wish there had been more of an outcry when Army Surplus closed. I was shocked to come back to Winnipeg, and see that it had closed it's doors. With MEC, it is just not the same. Thoughts?

I never found the prices at Army Surplus to be that great.

When I was looking for more hunting and fishing gear, SIR always had better prices.

The only cheap stuff at AS was their used military clothing. Meh.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

GOM's right, completely different retailers. MEC focuses on "self propelled" activities while United Army Surplus would sell whatever would make a buck, it just didn't work out well for them.

Contrary to popular opinion, MEC isn't "pricey". Shop around, find comparable quality, then compare.

Anonymous

Don't tell me you get what you pay for....???Smile

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You get what you pay for!! Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Icon_cool

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

MEC also subscribes to a differnt clientelle than what AS did and what Cabela's and Wholesale Sports does. Personally I shop at MEC for a lot of my cycling equipment & clothing and even some of my aerobic clothing. I have looked at some of the clothing at Cabela's and Wholesale Sports and price wise for name brand clothing, MEC carries the better quality for the price. Just my opinion.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There is a great (my opinion) advertisement running for Staples or the other business supply company showing an independant haircut outlet looking across the street from his shop, and seeing a large hair cutting outlet opening up with a big $6 HAIRCUT sign.
The guy goes to Staples or the other shop and orders in a huge sign that says
WE FIX $6 HAIRCUTS- the big guy closes down within 5 months!

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think old age, of the owners, had something to do with Army Surplus closing down?

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

As their name says, AS was a very singular enterprise when it started and was able to sustain a market share for years, but really couldn't keep up after a time.

The brothers grew old and the family didn't care it seems.

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:There is a great (my opinion) advertisement running for Staples or the other business supply company showing an independant haircut outlet looking across the street from his shop, and seeing a large hair cutting outlet opening up with a big $6 HAIRCUT sign.
The guy goes to Staples or the other shop and orders in a huge sign that says
WE FIX $6 HAIRCUTS- the big guy closes down within 5 months!
That commercial is priceless.

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:apples and oranges...

Can't compare the two businesses. In any event, while there may have been an outcry, those out-crying didn't spend enough money at Army Surplus to make the business viable.

Well I certainly did. I bought all of my equipent for treeplanting, camping, and most of my equipment for work there. I used to be really into the outdoors. I guess when MEC opened up, they lost a lot of business.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I find MEC to have a better quality product than the former Army Surplus. Also, when AS was in operation, the store was decrepit and dirty, making me not want to step in that store altogether, never mind purchase anything from there.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AS used to be 2 separate buildings. I used to work in what was the one facing Colony Street. It was a real estate office. The far back where the fishing and boats were, was actually a garage at one point.

Anonymous

EdWin wrote: Also, when AS was in operation, the store was decrepit and dirty, making me not want to step in that store altogether, never mind purchase anything from there.

That's what made it appealing to me... lol!

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

LennyJessop wrote:
EdWin wrote: Also, when AS was in operation, the store was decrepit and dirty, making me not want to step in that store altogether, never mind purchase anything from there.

As you have lived in Cowgary, I would have expected your standards to be quite higher Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Icon_smile

Anonymous

EdWin wrote:
LennyJessop wrote:

As you have lived in Cowgary, I would have expected your standards to be quite higher Army Surplus or Mountain Equipment Co-op? Icon_smile

Nah....deep down I'm just a typical Pegger. Always looking for a bargain.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum