the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Meal overall experience WOW

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Best Meal overall experience WOW Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:32 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

MISE - 824 Corydon Avenue in the old R. Santa Furs building

Where the hell do I start. Let's just say it is not pretentious, the prices are justified, the food sublime, the service impeccable - I was impressed and it takes a great deal to impress me when it comes to "top flight" joints.

Originally me and the BF were gonna head out to Hermano's, the new "Brazilian" joint but my intuition kicked in and I decided to look up some recent reviews and go over their menu again, which had changed and from my POV, not for the better. There was not one offering on that menu that excited me. The reviews as well, all written by persons whom one could tell had good palates, did not bode well regarding that choice.

As I was to find out later the BF had been trying for the last two weeks to acquire reservations for tonight at Beaujena'a, Amici's, Step N Out and a few others that he knew I was very fond of but as luck would have it while i waiting for him to pick me up I called MISE to see if they had an early table open for us for six.....OH YEAH.....bingo we were in business. When he picked me up he laughed at me apologizing for changing the plans but he knows that if I say the menu at one place looks unimpressive then he is not gonna argue being that he loves to cook with me and knows my tastes and skills.....so now on to the menu at MISE.

You have a wide selection of starters and entrees, the emphasis being on "creative Canadian cuisine"......instead of following the rote of starter - entree - dessert we opted for the choose three starters for $35 as that way we could still follow a "taste trail" and conclude with a dish that combined savoury and sweet thus negating the need for dessert - that comes later right? When one is in a private space.

First we are both served a lovely amuse bouche with garlicky rosemary cheese and fig on a bit of a pastry round....lovely. He has a medium bodied Red and I choose a lighter Spanish White....we do not change our wines throughout the meal as they are perfect for what we each have.

I started with a fennel, orange, romaine salad as the acidity balances out with the wine and gets the palate jump started for the next two choices. He starts off with a roasted garlic and potato soup....loved the blackened garlic chips in that - wow.

Next I have mussels in the perfect cream sauce and he has bruschetta with greens, toasted almonds, figs and a cheese duo in a light vinagrette. I love it when I can dip the bread into the cream sauce.....the only complaint I have is that the pancetta was not pancetta but regular bacon, overcooked but I could overlook that as it was not infused in the sauce but rather sat on top of the mussels...easily discarded.

It should be mentioned that their breads are perfect.....a cranberry infused white and a perfect french baguette.....one is given a bit at a time and this is served with a garlicky butter...all very subtle and it all works in proper fashion.

Ohhhh......perfect portions.....one would think not enuff but the best and last is to come and that is the quail stuffed with bison and blueberries served with a classic Cumberland sauce.....sublime.....we both knew we both had to finish with this dish and because it is balanced between sweet and savoury and we were getting full, we knew we did not need dessert. Our palates were satisfied. Besides they still gave us each a truffle after dinner anyway......

The restaurant has the right ambience and comfort. Before one enters the restaurant there is a deli section where I was able to get some goodies to take home tonight for later in the week......nice cheeses, chocolates and spice melanges from Dean and Deluca......

Ohhhhh.....this foodie was impressed and satisfied. Soon she shall crawl into bed. Thank you Sherpa Boy for the perfect pre-Bday dinner.....for the rest of you, go to this place you will not regret it.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

2Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am bumping this up because I want some feedback re: was there something I did not quite impart being that this was an immediate vomiting of words, was there something some of you may want to know more about the overall experience?

3Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Good review. I've been to Mise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Did you not have any dessert?

4Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The way that we ate, dessert was rendered redundant.....besides, we got a truffle each.....and it was perfect.

5Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Happy birthday, Mizpoint! I haven't been to Mise, but I will now!

6Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:19 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Take someone that you either love or wish to really impress....just make sure that they appreciate layers of flava....

7Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:47 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Triniman wrote:Happy birthday, Mizpoint! I haven't been to Mise, but I will now!

That auspicious date is this Saturday but I pretty much reserve the right to take over most of December....

8Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am not sure what is happening on Saturday now. The friends we are suppose to go to Hu's Asian Bistro with may not have a sitter. The only for sure plan I have Saturday is to take my beautiful daughter to see the Nutcracker....I am excited! I showed her some ballet on youtube and she was mesmerized. My gf's cousin is a Principal dancer for the rwb, and when she met my daughter she said oh a little ballerina in the making. I will be enrolling my baby in ballet next year. Smile

9Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Oh Miz p if we end up going out Saturday evening I will pm you my cell # and we can try and arrange a meet up for some birthday/x-mas cheer!

10Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

cool....I will message i my tele number

11Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:24 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

my wife and I went to MISE for their Valentine's Day Special.

Fixed meal...but excellent. I put a review on our forum shortly after (not as thorough as yours MizP)

The chef (and our waiter) used to work at the Hotel Fort Garry with my Brother-in-Law.

http://www.photage.ca

12Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:29 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We do have some good talent in this town.....god, I remember when getting fresh basil out of season was a big deal or things like fennel or other "niche" products could only be had in the ethnic shops or ordered in at a high cost....as much as I love to be a "locavore" there are certain little luxuries that have become necessities.

13Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Miz point wrote:We do have some good talent in this town.....god, I remember when getting fresh basil out of season was a big deal or things like fennel or other "niche" products could only be had in the ethnic shops or ordered in at a high cost....as much as I love to be a "locavore" there are certain little luxuries that have become necessities.

Hey...speaking of "ethnic" shops...did you know about the new one opening up off McPhillips & Notre Dame?
It's the size of a Safeway. Hasn't opened yet...looks like they are still doing some construction inside...but it looks pretty big and fancy.
It's behind the McDonald's & Burger King on NotreDame on that side street (not sure what that street is right now)

http://www.photage.ca

14Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yes and I cannot wait to get over there to check it out....choice is a good thing.

15Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:06 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

My best recent meal was about 3-5 weeks ago? As I cannot remember days any m ore-
NORTHEND SALS- Sunday morning- I ordered sausages and eggs, hashbrowns well done, pancakes well done-
I got pretty raw bacon, and the same for the pancakes! the eggs were sunnyside up, and the toat never arrived, although I don't think toast was included. No refills on coffee, but the meal was pretty exciting because I had MizP there with me to bug!!! lol
Who else ever gets to go for Sunday brunch the odd time with no advance planning??
I look forward to that happening another time.
For those of you that can get out the odd time, P.M> your phone number, and remember that MizP is always or mostways available for a free breakfast , if its Sunday and after 9 A.M.
She has her standards !! lol
Should I put up her phone number?? NO!!

http://www.elansofas.com

16Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:...I ordered sausages and eggs, hashbrowns well done, pancakes well done-
I got pretty raw bacon...

Rosencrentz! Pig meat and jews don't mix! Bacon clogs arteries. The leader of the bad guys was a vegetarian!

17Best Meal overall experience WOW Empty Re: Best Meal overall experience WOW Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Ohhhhh...Rosen, are we going out for breakfast tomorrow???? Let me know as that would be cool.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum