the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions

+14
Miz point
Bartron
FlyingRat
EdWin
sun_wukong
Electrician
Deank
AGEsAces
libermom
Northlands
eastsider
Freeman
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

51Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Bartron

major-contributor
major-contributor

The episode of The Simpsons when they go to Winnipeg and the sign outside the city says something like "Winnipeg we were born here, whats your excuse?"

52Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Bartron wrote:The episode of The Simpsons when they go to Winnipeg and the sign outside the city says something like "Winnipeg we were born here, whats your excuse?"

Bah! The only reason why any tv show mentions Winnipeg is to focus on the negative, never anything positive. I'm going to get heat for this, but this IS what happens when when a city is too casually self-depreciating in a mocking manner. The Simpsons also did a skit in Calgary, and Calgary wasn't displayed in a self-depreciating manner. It was taken seriously in a very positive manner. No one does this for Winnipeg.

Yes, it's good to have a sense of humor about yourself, but in our case, it's carried out too far and it give out of towners a bad impression of the city, and I absolutely hate that!!!!!!

53Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

EdWin wrote:In what context?
Don't rightly recall really...

54Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Anonymous

Yes we the residents are there own worst enemy's , in this city.

55Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

EdWin wrote:Bah! The only reason why any tv show mentions Winnipeg is to focus on the negative, never anything positive. I'm going to get heat for this, but this IS what happens when when a city is too casually self-depreciating in a mocking manner.
The only reason you'd get heat from me is when you generalize on the negative. That is exactly what you just did.

I remember several mentions that were not negative. Recent mentions on The Desperate Housewives episodes. This most recent How I met Your Mother episode. A few old shows such as Bob Newhart, Beverly Hillbillies, BJ and The Bear, and so on are examples where nothing negative was said.

Most are mere mentions, innocuous.

So why impose a blanket negative comment when facts are not in evidence (thanks rosen)?

Do ya see why ya might rankle a few folks with that type of commentary?

56Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
EdWin wrote:Bah! The only reason why any tv show mentions Winnipeg is to focus on the negative, never anything positive. I'm going to get heat for this, but this IS what happens when when a city is too casually self-depreciating in a mocking manner.
The only reason you'd get heat from me is when you generalize on the negative. That is exactly what you just did.

I remember several mentions that were not negative. Recent mentions on The Desperate Housewives episodes. This most recent How I met Your Mother episode. A few old shows such as Bob Newhart, Beverly Hillbillies, BJ and The Bear, and so on are examples where nothing negative was said.

Most are mere mentions, innocuous.

So why impose a blanket negative comment when facts are not in evidence (thanks rosen)?

Do ya see why ya might rankle a few folks with that type of commentary?

The facts that I have are:
a) growing up in Winnipeg and KNOWING how so many people in that city think in terms of our hometown.
b) seeing how other Winnipeggers who have moved away still bring on this perpetual self-depreciating mocking mentality, and now
c) bearing witness to the shows that display this exact mentality to the whole continent.

I'm very curious to see how the episode of "the office" depicts Winnipeg; I hoping for only positive things; none of this "we were born here; what's your excuse" garbage.

57Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:05 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I've seen several mentions of Winnipeg on popular shows.

CSI
Law & Order
Law & Order CI
NCIS
Stargate
Due South

I'm not going to go chasing the episode numbers...but I can picture the scenes when it happened. Had I not been living in Canada (or more specifically Winnipeg) it probably would not have been noticed. I can think of even more instances where Canada or other cities in Canada are mentioned as well....although I can't think of a single one that mentions Regina Very Happy

http://www.photage.ca

58Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

dont forget littlist hobo!

59Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:dont forget littlist hobo!

Yeah...but that was a Canadian show to begin with Very Happy

60Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:07 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

shhhhhhhh

61Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Any Chicago airport appearance includes the speaker system announcing a flight to or from Winnipeg.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

62Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Anonymous

The press of this province are our worst enemies as they dwell on the negitive constantly , bugs , weather, taxe's , and most go right along with it . Have you ever noticed how few positiv things we say on here or in our papers .

63Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

You haven't read OUR local paper... You'd think it's run by a dictator...

64Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:22 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

AGEsAces wrote:.... I can think of even more instances where Canada or other cities in Canada are mentioned as well....although I can't think of a single one that mentions Regina Very Happy

The American censors get very confused whenever a show mentions Regina Smile

Last edited by FlyingRat on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

65Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Corner Gas talks about Regina...

66Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Yes...but Corner Gas has its own issues with the censors.

At least they don't run around going "pull my finger" Very Happy>

67Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:50 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umm...yeah actually that has been on there a few times.

68Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:36 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Anybody watch "Less Than Kind" yet?

69Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:47 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I watched the first episode. It was okay. I've been meaning to watch the next few but always forget. I understand the episodes after the premier are better...

70Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

I like trying to pick out the locations in each scene.

71Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:25 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Entertainment/Television/2008/11/06/7327061.html

New story on the Office Winnipeg episode coming up on Nov 13th

72Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:11 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Okay peeps, don't forget to watch Winnipeg as represented by the Office...

73Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

They'll be eating kubasaw or corned beef?
Should we make a new poll?

74Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:35 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

They will be eating Old Dutch Potato Chips and drinking Fort Garry Ale.

75Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:13 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Hot off the wire:

Another TV role for Winnipeg starring as Winnipeg!

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2008/11/13/house-party.html

76Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite TV Shows & Winnipeg Mentions Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Does this mean we've arrived? Must piss Sputnik off no end that none of these shows feature Calgary? What say ya Sput?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum