the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great! Now I am homeless!

+2
rosencrentz
Miz point
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Anonymous

Great!  Now I am homeless! Fire412

https://i.servimg.com/u/f85/13/45/94/54/fire412.jpg
What a way to start the weekend off. Watching my place go up in flames!

Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

2Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

WTF?????

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

3Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Anonymous

I was woken up to my roommates above me screaming hysterically. When I mamaged to go outside, there were 15 foot flames shooting out of the top story windows. Thank god nobody was seriously hurt. One of the dudes had minor burns on his back, but kudos to the Fire Department for arriving promptly, and preventing the fire from gutting the whole place...

4Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Come on tell the truth! That picture is one of MizP, barbequing at our August get together!

http://www.elansofas.com

5Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:Come on tell the truth! That picture is one of MizP, barbequing at our August get together!

no I don't think so. This was only a small fire...hehe

6Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Anonymous

Young man sent to hospital with burns

By: Staff Writer

10/10/2009 10:38 AM
WINNIPEG — Colin Wright was thankful for a rude awakening this morning, after fire broke out on the floor above him and sent one of his neighbours to hospital.
"I heard the alarm go off in the hallway and it woke me up," said the tenant of the three-storey building in the 100 block of Balmoral Street.

"There were two guys upstairs screaming and yelling 'Help! Fire!'," said the 33-year-old Wright, who pulled on his pants and ran outside.
"One guy had what looked like third-degree burns on his back," he said after the fire that broke out around 8 a.m.
Paramedics treated the young man in his late teens, who was conscious and had gotten out of the house on his own, said Wright, who lives on the second floor below him. The burn victim was taken to hospital by ambulance.
His condition is unknown at this time.

Fire fighters responded to the blaze quickly and, with winds whipping up to 60 kilometres per hour, prevented the flames from spreading to the neighbouring home, he said.
"Fifteen-foot flames were shooting out the top of the house," said Wright, shaken but grateful that no one was killed.
"I'm alive and OK."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Young-man-sent-to-hospital-with-burns-63927142.html

7Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:47 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yikes! Glad you got out safe.

8Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wow....what a crazy thing to happen....thank goodness it is not January.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

9Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:09 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Do you have a place to stay??

10Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Good thing your ok. Are all your possessions burnt?

11Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:43 pm

trebor204

trebor204

Wow, glad you are safe.
Where are right now, it seems you have access to a computer and internet?

12Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:06 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Good to have renters insurance?

13Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:07 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If you need accomodations, let me know, but I had my fireplace going yesterday so everything in my house is a little smokey! lol

14Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Anonymous

Thanks Rosie,

I probably will find somewhere I can stay. I have friends and relatives in the city. Luckily I have been living a rather transient lifestyle the last 5 years, going all over Western Canda, so my laptop and cell phone are safe. All my clothing and furniture are ok, aside from water damage and debris that fell from the upper floor that was completely gutted.

Still not sure how the fire started, but I hope the owner has insurance....Never been in a predicament like this. Since I was renting, what happens if I can not return to the suite by Tuesday? Does anyone know, or has anyone known of anyone that has been in a situation such as this?

15Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:45 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Who started the fire?
Do you have renter's insurance?
If you do not have renter's insurance, and most renters do not, I think you would have to sue whomever started the fire, if they were responsible. Good Luck. Renter's upstairs? Do they have insurance then you would sue their insurance company, I believe.
Get everyone's names and contact information- The landlord should have that, but it might be left to you to sue. Better find a lawyer friend. But what damage do you have? You are out of your rental property. Your landlord may have to return your rent and damage deposit, automatically. I bet you there is a landlord and tenant law covering that.

16Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:08 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Young man sent to hospital with burns

By: Staff Writer

10/10/2009 10:38 AM | Comments: 1
Great!  Now I am homeless! Balmoralfire

Enlarge Image Great!  Now I am homeless! Enlargeicon_WFP
Fire crews battled a large fire on Balmoral Street this morning which started around 8 a.m. Resident Colin Wright escaped unharmed, but paramedics treated a young man being taken to hospital by ambulance. (JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA )

WINNIPEG — Colin Wright was thankful for a rude awakening this morning, after fire broke out on the floor above him and sent one of his neighbours to hospital.
"I heard the alarm go off in the hallway and it woke me up," said the tenant of the three-storey building in the 100 block of Balmoral Street.
"There were two guys upstairs screaming and yelling 'Help! Fire!'," said the 33-year-old Wright, who pulled on his pants and ran outside.
"One guy had what looked like third-degree burns on his back," he said after the fire that broke out around 8 a.m.
Paramedics treated the young man in his late teens, who was conscious and had gotten out of the house on his own, said Wright, who lives on the second floor below him. The burn victim was taken to hospital by ambulance.
His condition is unknown at this time.

It never dawned on me how easy it could be to get a write up in the paper. I send in letters to the editor, with no luck! All I had to do was start a fire!
Way to go HurtinAlbertan! The Winnipeg Sandbox members salute you!

17Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:11 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Dude that sucks. Glad to see you are ok. But there is a silver lining to this story. This now gives you a head start on planning on moving back to Alberta like you've wanted to for so long; the "greatest place in the world" as you've put it Great!  Now I am homeless! Icon_biggrin

18Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:34 am

Anonymous

EdWin wrote:Dude that sucks. Glad to see you are ok. But there is a silver lining to this story. This now gives you a head start on planning on moving back to Alberta like you've wanted to for so long; the "greatest place in the world" as you've put it Great!  Now I am homeless! Icon_biggrin

Can I live at your place?

19Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 am

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:
It never dawned on me how easy it could be to get a write up in the paper. I send in letters to the editor, with no luck! All I had to do was start a fire!
Way to go HurtinAlbertan! The Winnipeg Sandbox members salute you!

haha...or be in the right place at the right time!

20Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

HurtinAlbertan wrote:
EdWin wrote:Dude that sucks. Glad to see you are ok. But there is a silver lining to this story. This now gives you a head start on planning on moving back to Alberta like you've wanted to for so long; the "greatest place in the world" as you've put it Great!  Now I am homeless! Icon_biggrin

Got furniture? I need some new furnishings for my pad; this would your damage deposite Smile

21Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:39 am

Anonymous

EdWin wrote:
HurtinAlbertan wrote:

Got furniture? I need some new furnishings for my pad; this would your damage deposite Great!  Now I am homeless! Icon_smile

You bet!

Oh BTW, I was informed how the fire started. Turns out one of the tenants above my suite fell asleep with a lit cigarette or joint. Then I assume the bed caught on fire.

Turns out the owner has insurance, however the 2 tenants upstairs lost everything. The damage was approx. $300,000.

22Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 am

Anonymous

I thought that cigarettes had the new papers now and went out after a short time to prevent just this sort of thing. Or, is that still in the works?

23Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I quit smoking. That prevents those fires as well. It boggles my mind to this day that I did not set my couch or bed on fire in my day...

24Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Anonymous

well I finally get to retrieve me stuff today. Finding a place in the middle of the month is hard. I will have to see what my options are. Legally speaking, this is an area I am not too familiar with...

25Great!  Now I am homeless! Empty Re: Great! Now I am homeless! Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Anonymous

Good question.

Have you asked the Residential Tenancies Branch about it?

945-2476

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum