the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Idaho stop law coming soon to a winnipeg street near you?

+3
grumpy old man
cherenkov
Deank
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/citys-cyclists-may-follow-idaho-stop-law-63584522.html

welll..... as a cyclist I can understand how frustrating this is. As a motorist it is also very frustrating, causes wear and tear on my brakes and causes me to use more fuel. So cars should be allowed this same allowance.

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Some neighbourhoods in other cities have yield signs instead of stop signs, and they work very well. Get rid of all these pointless 3 and 4-way stops and replace them with traffic circles and yields. Problem solved! Partially, anyhow... I do agree with this "Idaho stop" thing.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There was a time where most residential intersections were uncontrolled. No stop signs. No yield signs. Intersections were yield to the right of way. Why do we need friken signs?

That said if society is too stupid and requires a sign I'm okay with yield signs over stop signs. I'm also okay with cyclists slowing and not stopping as long as they fo;;ow the spirit of the rule.

a89aries

a89aries

I am a huge fan of roundabouts, they would be great for quite a few intersections. I can't help but laugh when I see the 8 lane 4 way stops ( lots around Kenaston Commons), that right there would be a perfect spot for a roundabout.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Finally getting something done in the Lakewood area...

They are installing a roundabout at the intersection of Lakewood and Beaverhill...finally doing something with that intersection, and not doing it with traffic lights!!!!
We should throw a party!

On the negative side, my stocks in the street lighting supply company the city uses, takes a bit of a hit...but I'm ready to accept that! lol

Anonymous

Recently I saw a cop hiding behind an MTS box on Young Street, waiting for cars and cyclists to "fail to come to a complete stop" at the 3-way sign on Westminster and Young. (The only stop sign where you have to yeild to a private approach from a public roadway btw...Balmoral Hall has pull eh?)

I asked if he was embarrassed doing what he was doing and he mumbled something in response. I told him it didn't look good and drove off.

In this day and age (gas prices) it only makes sense to allow "rolling stops" or Yeilds imo too.

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

JT Estoban wrote:Finally getting something done in the Lakewood area...

They are installing a roundabout at the intersection of Lakewood and Beaverhill...
That's been open for about a month now, and it works very very well. Traffic flows right through, aside from the odd person who is overly timid, and have not experienced any dangerous mix-ups or problems so far.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

One down, many, many more to go....

Now if they could only do the same a little further up both of those streets...Beaverhill @ Vermillion, and Lakewood @ Vermillion....could all benefit from removing the stop signs and putting in traffic circles. (IMO)

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

a89aries wrote:I am a huge fan of roundabouts, they would be great for quite a few intersections. I can't help but laugh when I see the 8 lane 4 way stops ( lots around Kenaston Commons), that right there would be a perfect spot for a roundabout.

No...roundabouts (or traffic circles) are useless crap that causes major accidents and tieups.

New Jersey was inundated with them for years, and they finally realized it was time to get rid of all of the circles in the State.

What they use to control traffic congestion though, is "jughandles", where if you want to make a left, you go through the intersection and take a "ramp" off to the right...which brings you back on the road you wanted to go left on and back through the intersection.

Traffic typically moves much faster and easier from this.

http://www.photage.ca

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can't say that I'm in agreement with the Idaho stops. Its supposed to be used only when there is no other traffic, but how soon will it creep into other interpretations. Cyclist approaches 4 way stop and another vehicle is already stopped, so cyclist must come to a stop and yield. I can see the argument quickly become, "Yeah, but you were already stopped." 4 way stops are dangerous enough as it is, and many motorists don't know the rules.

a89aries

a89aries

AGEsAces wrote:
a89aries wrote:I am a huge fan of roundabouts, they would be great for quite a few intersections. I can't help but laugh when I see the 8 lane 4 way stops ( lots around Kenaston Commons), that right there would be a perfect spot for a roundabout.

No...roundabouts (or traffic circles) are useless crap that causes major accidents and tieups.

New Jersey was inundated with them for years, and they finally realized it was time to get rid of all of the circles in the State.

What they use to control traffic congestion though, is "jughandles", where if you want to make a left, you go through the intersection and take a "ramp" off to the right...which brings you back on the road you wanted to go left on and back through the intersection.

Traffic typically moves much faster and easier from this.

Roundabouts are used quite successfully in Europe as well as back in Southern Ontario many cities are starting to install them with great success. I don't think anything ever works in New Jersey lol.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

ok...quick quiz

you're approaching a circle...there's a couple of cars in the circle already...who has the right-of-way?

about the only time a circle is reasonable, is when there's MORE than 4 roads approaching an intersection.

Confusion corner would be a prime example of where a circle would be reasonable...a very big circle...except all the lights within 3 blocks of it in all directions would have to be removed...or traffic would be gridlocked inside it.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you're approaching a circle...there's a couple of cars in the circle already...who has the right-of-way?

its winnipeg... so the trucker with the load of explosive fuel.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:its winnipeg... so the trucker with the load of explosive fuel.

Are there any low bridges around.....oh right, check AFTER you hit the bridge! ;-)

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:ok...quick quiz

The cars inside the circle always have the right of way. Even says so in the drivers handbook.

Driver education and mandatory re-testing may need to be thought through as a part of the traffic solution in this city/province.

just saying.... Idaho stop law coming soon to a winnipeg street near you? Icon_wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum