the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Morley has an article on this.. and there have been others.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/competing-necessary-in-arena--of-the-arts-54949057.html

Basically Winnipeg and Edmonton have the most awesome Fringe festivals . On ticket sales Winnipeg had the title for a few days until Edmonton cam storming back and had more sales.

I dunno I would still have to say Winnipeg has the edge. Population wise (never mind bunch of other things to see and do in Edmonton) Edmonton has way more people that can attend just in its own population, never mind from surronding areas. And yet Winnipeg ALMOST sells as many tickets and this year, beat Edmontons last year sales.

Good on both City's for sure. But me.. I am giving this win to Winnipeg.

2Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

The Edmonton Fringe Festival is known as the largest Fringe in North America, with Winnipeg in second place, from what I hear.

And also keep in mind that Edmonton and Winnipeg are similar in population, but it's Edmonton that has the larger bedroom communities which helps to push the metro population over one million people.Edmonton is also known as Canada's Festival city; this place is non-stop activity in the summertime.

3Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Exactly, so for Winnipeg to post numbers as it does with all the "advantages" edmonton does... our numbers are way better.

4Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 am

Anonymous

Actually, I believe that Edmonton is almost twice as big as Winnipeg....1.1M to 700K-ish. Those numbers do not include the outskirts of Edmonton but do include all our bedroom communities.

5Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Actually, I believe that Edmonton is almost twice as big as Winnipeg....1.1M to 700K-ish. Those numbers do not include the outskirts of Edmonton but do include all our bedroom communities.

Yes, those numbers do include the bedroom communities of Edmonton. Without the Metro population, Edmonton sits around 730,000 or so people, less than 100,000 more than the City of Winnipeg population.

6Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WTF? What silly game are we playing now? The city of Vancouver proper is also smaller than Winnipeg.

So we completely disregard the cma areas then when it comes to drawing power?

7Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:20 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:WTF? What silly game are we playing now? The city of Vancouver proper is also smaller than Winnipeg.

So we completely disregard the cma areas then when it comes to drawing power?

A little "grumpy" this morning, are we? Wink

8Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:52 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Always! Hence the handle...

Look how early I posted. TFE.

9Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:09 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

TFE?

10Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

TFE:

Tetrafluoroethylene

A thermoplastic material with good electrical insulating properties and chemical and heat resistance.

11Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:53 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Too Fxxxxxx Early

12Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Anonymous

Heh....so...which is bigger? I thought that Edmonton passed us long ago and hasn't looked back since....boom town Alberta stuff and all. Maybe I'm wrong.

13Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:40 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

The City of Edmonton proper is slightly larger than the City of Winnipeg proper, while the Edmonton CMA is significantly larger than the Winnipeg CMA. Hope this helps!

14Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Anonymous

Merci.

15Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Empty Re: Winnipeg VS Edmonton fringe Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:34 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

EdWin wrote:The City of Edmonton proper is slightly larger than the City of Winnipeg proper, while the Edmonton CMA is significantly larger than the Winnipeg CMA. Hope this helps!

Well, of course the Edmonton Country Music Awards is larger than the Winnipeg Country Music Awards! Way bigger redneck quotient! Wink lol! sarcasm end

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum