the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

st adolphe bridge closed

+2
Miz point
Deank
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1st adolphe bridge closed Empty st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:19 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

this is obviously a major problem for the locals having this bridge closed.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/st-adolphe-bridge-closed-after-concrete-pier-shifts-53929887.html

My question is this. How come we dont call in the army to come a build a temporary bridge? Call it a training excercise, have the province pay for the proper amount of time and materials spent.

I know the Reserve Engineers when they existed up in Flin Flon practiced this quite regularily. And they had the materials on hand. Is it a perfect solution? Hell no... but its a hell of a good temporary choice no?
I cant remember the name of that type of floater bridge, anyone on here know what I am talking about? Any reason why even if not getting our military to do it, we cant hire someone else to build one?

2st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Bailey Bridge.....that is what they are called.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

3st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

I live right next to that bridge. So happens I have the EMO Engineer on the property right now attempting to figure out how to save our house/dike from continued erosion. Fact is - it can't be saved - there's too much water/ice/force coming through here the last few years and I'm not surprised to see the bridge has slipped. Apparantly the Province has raised the floodway yesterdsay to stem high water to the north which is the plan for the future (to stabilize City levels also). The big plan now includes voluntary buy-outs for river-adjacent property from the floodway south to Morris. Back on topic - that bridge closure is not much of an inconvenience - we can go south up #200/St. Mary's Rd to the Perimieter (which I use 80% of the time anyway).

4st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:47 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah bailey bridge thats it

5st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Hey Jondo, that sucks, but that's part of owning property near a river I guess. How much of a deal is the buyout, in terms of percentage of what you paid for the property? I'm guessing the value of the property is in sharp decline, but the displaced person need money to buy somewhere else!

They should start building bridges that don't require piers in the water!

6st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:21 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Imagine that pier moving 3' in a matter of weeks! Yikes...

7st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Anonymous

Jondo wrote: Apparantly the Province has raised the floodway yesterdsay to stem high water to the north which is the plan for the future (to stabilize City levels also)

Finally!!! Somebody at the Province has had a good idea. Amazing.

8st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:29 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

It was never a question of it being a good or new idea. The constraint has been that the Floodway Operation Act prohibits discretionary flow level-raising that impacts south of the gate. Now the plan is for an amended concession to the Act which would permit discretionary operation (City desires) to flood south of the gate but that concession coming with buy-outs of affected properties from the gates to Morris.

9st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Anonymous

Looks to me that a dumb decision [The constraint has been that the Floodway Operation Act prohibits discretionary flow level-raising that impacts south of the gate.] was followed by a good one [amended concession to the Act which would permit discretionary operation (City desires) to flood south of the gate..].
------------------------

Imho, we should dredge the river south to the border, build a huge dam there and restrict the flows through to the lake....dredge the mouth out to 25 miles....so that we can sit back and relax....and not worry about yearly flooding.

10st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:52 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

JTF wrote:Looks to me that a dumb decision [The constraint has been that the Floodway Operation Act prohibits discretionary flow level-raising that impacts south of the gate.] was followed by a good one [amended concession to the Act which would permit discretionary operation (City desires) to flood south of the gate..].
------------------------

Imho, we should dredge the river south to the border, build a huge dam there and restrict the flows through to the lake....dredge the mouth out to 25 miles....so that we can sit back and relax....and not worry about yearly flooding.

And build a filter like the one that is supposed to be cleaning the outflow from devil's lake... Make the Americans pay for it if they would like it designed to not back the river up into ND/MN Wink

Last edited by FlyingRat on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

11st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Anonymous

exactly.

12st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:40 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The video on CTV news was amazing. This bridge appears ready to collapse.

13st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:41 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Holy smokes. Just hearing about the escalation on how dangerous the bridge is. Lucky those Provincial Inspectors had a look at it yesterday. Big trucks pass over very frequently - not to mention steady flow of cars (several at a time on the span. That's a long drop down. Somebody brought up a good point - if this isn't fixed by next springs flooding - the whole area will have to evacuated because the only other way out is #200 which floods over quickly and closes. With the rains/saturated earth - a repeat flood is expected again in the spring (so says the Engineer at my property today - immediately upstream from the bridge). I'm beginning to wonder if Manitoba can even afford the massive infrastructure upgrades needed - roads, bridges etc.

14st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:05 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:Holy smokes. Just hearing about the escalation on how dangerous the bridge is. Lucky those Provincial Inspectors had a look at it yesterday. Big trucks pass over very frequently - not to mention steady flow of cars (several at a time on the span. That's a long drop down. Somebody brought up a good point - if this isn't fixed by next springs flooding - the whole area will have to evacuated because the only other way out is #200 which floods over quickly and closes. With the rains/saturated earth - a repeat flood is expected again in the spring (so says the Engineer at my property today - immediately upstream from the bridge). I'm beginning to wonder if Manitoba can even afford the massive infrastructure upgrades needed - roads, bridges etc.

The province probaby can't afford it, they need the money to hire more social workers to console those affected by the bridge closure. sarcasm end

15st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:21 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Don't see how we can afford to second the social workers from their successful work in the North End to St. Adolph...

16st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:24 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I nber said to second the, I suggested that they would have to hire more. You can never have enough social workers. sarcasm end

17st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

nber? Never? It's Sunday morning. Put the bottle down.

18st adolphe bridge closed Empty Re: st adolphe bridge closed Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No coffee, and I jsut washed my hands and can't do a thing with them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum