the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

new stadium... summarization thread for people who may have missed it

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

2005/06 Leo says... hey peeps.. I want to build a new stadium/ waterpark/hotel/convention centre.

It will be a football shaped stadium
the hotel will be at one of of the stadium so some rooms can watch games
the underground of the seating will be a massive convention centre that will be able to hold VERY VERY large conventions.
There will be a pretty good waterpark attached.
It will be in headingly
The reviews are mixed... bombers outside of winnipeg? How much money?
Plus the club says we are not really looking right now anyway.

Idea dies.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Earlier 2008 all of a sudden the board is interested.

Two proposals are from the main stream
Asper says.. give me $80 million and the team I will invest 20 Million of my own money in the stadium We will rebuild on site first replacing one side, then the other. I will build retail on site as well for another 26 millionish.

Leo says. I will build in St. B. You can keep the land where it currently sits. I will build a new stadium, hotel, water park.retail and convention centre. I want the same 80 million but I will put up 360ish million of my own for the rest of it. I dont want to own the team.

Asper wins no reasons are made public that I can remember.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Headingly location sucks.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Late fall 2008 the prov and feds basically both say yeah... thats not gonna happen. We are not giving you that kind of money.
(on the sideline Leo bids for and wins waterpark money from city)
Asper says.. :LETS REDEVELOP POINT DOUGLAS!
we will add lots of waterfront stuff and a massive waterpark attached to the stadium. This idea also has decent merit of being attached to a rapid transit syste, I still get the Polo park land for retail development. I still want 40 million (down from 80) from feds and proc.. city will cover costs of infrastructure changes and of buying people out City and Province are more then a little pissed about announcing ahead of time. Because of the announcement not only do property prices temporarily go up making the city promise of redevelopment of the area harder and more expensive.. Many local residents hate the idea of being forced out for a stadium and people also speculate that downtown will truly be dead on non game/attraction nights.
Feds are more open to idea but still say its too much.

Idea dies

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Then the U of M idea is announced. Significant more involvement for amature sport brings Feds to the table, UofM to the table, City, province almost everyone likes the idea.

Asper still gets to own the team. BUT puts up 10 million that will remain in trust should his idea fail or should he try to walk away or whatever. He buys the polo park land for??? (some have said 10 million) the prov and feds only put in 40 mill total.

But it is all contingent on secure and signing all leases for retail to be built at polo park.

Leo renegs on ACCEPTING waterpark money. ( who wouldn;t with the city after accepting his proposal moving forward with Asper and announcing an even bigger water park downtown)
IKEA deal gets announced ( which would have a serious impact on Aspers ability to get retail leases signed I would think)

Last edited by Deank on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:Headingly location sucks.

location sucked for sure. I loved the design and idea of a better convention centre tho

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so now we sit and wait until at least September (Asper's promised go/no go date that from the article we read today seems it may not be a hard and fast go/no go.) and possibly the original plan for the stadium will be cut back because of expense.

oo also... Leo tried buying the convention centre off the city with promised improvements.. idea was lacking in substanial detail so it was shot down by city.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Lets move a new convention center out to Portage la Prairie, the Bomber Stadium to Plum Coulee, and get retail leases somewhere near the Polar Bear dump in Flin Flon.
Eery one is happy, and as a bonus we put in a fast bus service to the Half Moon in Lockport!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Deank wrote:Earlier 2008 all of a sudden the board is interested.

Two proposals are from the main stream
Asper says.. give me $80 million and the team I will invest 20 Million of my own money in the stadium We will rebuild on site first replacing one side, then the other. I will build retail on site as well for another 26 millionish.

Leo says. I will build in St. B. You can keep the land where it currently sits. I will build a new stadium, hotel, water park.retail and convention centre. I want the same 80 million but I will put up 360ish million of my own for the rest of it. I dont want to own the team.

Asper wins no reasons are made public that I can remember.
This is where the deal starts to smell badly...in comparing the two proposals.

The Bomber Board needs to explain a few things methinks.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I agree with DeanK, the stadium/hotel/water park/convention centre design was my personal favorite so far.

I agree with GOM, the location was crap.

Surely there is other open spaces available where a stadium/hotel/water park\convention centre could have been built...the open stretch of wasteland between Pembina Hwy and Waverly just north of Bishop it huge enough....

There is also a gargantuan chunk of unused land south of Wilkes, West of Kenaston....which could have been used as well...lots of parking, lots of space, and it would be near Ikea! (the Ikea part is a recent add-in)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The plot o'land Leo already owns in St.B seems like a great location... Parking will be an issue. As will traffic. That's why the U of M site was so great.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Those could be dealt with

Anonymous

The two sites seem very similar to me. Both have limited access.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

The St. B location might have been Marion Street's only way of getting repaired/ripped out and replaced.

Now we're stuck with an ever deteriorating goat path....and one that gives goat paths a bad name!
off topic

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

U of M has University Crescent, Pembina Highway and Bison Drive to carry traffic away. These are uncongested unrestricted roadways that allow traffic quick routes north, south and west.

St. Boniface is congested. However, it would be much better than Polo Park...

Google map it. You'd be surprised at how limited the St. Boniface site is.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JT Estoban wrote:The St. B location might have been Marion Street's only way of getting repaired/ripped out and replaced.

Now we're stuck with an ever deteriorating goat path....and one that gives goat paths a bad name!
off topic
That's not part of the deal is it? Heh heh

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum