the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Manitoba will remain a welfare province.

+11
usedtoliveinstb
Electrician
FlyingRat
eViL tRoLl
Deank
Freeman
rosencrentz
EdWin
Triniman
grumpy old man
LivingDead
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

This is why Manitoba is going nowhere.

1) No Payroll Tax

Saskatchewan doesn’t charge a payroll tax as exists in Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.
This is what Payroll tax does for businesses in Manitoba

2) Our basic tax exemption in Manitoba;
Basic Personal Amount - will increase by $100 to $8,134 effective January 1, 2009 ($8,034 in
2008).

In the gap(Saskatchewan)we have the following.

The basic personal exemption and the spousal exemption, both currently $8,945, will each increase by $4,000 while the current child tax credit of $2,795 will go up another $2,000.

That will mean a tax saving of $440 per individual or $1,320 for a working family with two children.

Wall said that a family can now earn up to $41,300 before they start to pay any provincial income tax. More Info here

Our government is failing us. I'm getting close to thinking about a move to Saskatoon or Regina.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I could have done a better job at explaining MB's woe's. I will just cast my next ballot for the provincial Conservatives as I have done in the past. Although I'm not liking McFadden

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Evil Doer will find another way to spin this. We also have a huge blue collar mentality that thinks "a job in hand"... and refuses to see the big picture. And the feds feed into Evil Doers trap. People think we're doing okay.

McFadyen is damn near invisible. He has done zero to make Manitobans sit up and take notice. He conceded that last election to the NDP hoping the next will go his way after Evil Doer retires.

The PCs need a much more dynamic and aggressive leader.

Anonymous

Remeber the oil revenue they are recieving for now when it is gone they will be back at the trough like us . And it will not last as long as Alberta .

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:The PCs need a much more dynamic and aggressive leader.

Perhaps you should run....

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Evil Doer; suits him to a tea!

Donothing is living up to his name, he's doing nothing to help boost Manitoba's economic position out of a have-not province.

He has no brains and no balls to get the job done, the loser.

Can we please get someone in office who is the complete opposite of Evil Doer and actually cares about Manitoba's future?

Anonymous

Triniman wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:The PCs need a much more dynamic and aggressive leader.

Perhaps you should run....

Yea then we would all have inside info and you would have the pulse of the province .

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I remember way back when the tax started , the company I was with, refused to pay the tax, and advertised that fact! The provincial government, was very unhappy with the advertisements, "Payroll Tax Sale!"- come in and buy some____!
Pretty funny, because the NDP government were not happy when the company ads were calling them stupid for taxing job creation!
I remember a guy coming in to buy some merchandise, and he was smiling at me! turns out that he was a Conservative MLA, and ended up being the premier of Manitoba!

The government is pretty hard pressed to be effective when there is civil disobedience! It took over 5 years for them to determine what was owing and get a judgement in court, and they never collected a cent!
I remember the lawyer for the company, asking if we wanted the 1-2 or 3 year plan, on delaying the court case! Pretty funny!

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I haven't figured out what point is being made?
Is it that Manitoba will continue being a welfare province until it starts to manufacture its oil, and potash, which is causing Saskatchewan a headache in contributing to its 3 billion dollar surplus from business taxes?

Alberta is in worse shape with an 11 billion dollar surplus!

Anonymous

IMO, business is not too responsive to an NDP government, in almost all cases.

With them in power, we will continue to miss opportunities.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Actually, its the opposite, an NDP government is not responsive to business. Not sure why they can't grasp the concept....oh yeah, businesses can't vote, but morons who think they are entitled to sit on their arse and get all the benefits of someone who works hard do vote and thats who the NDP cater to.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

If businesses cant vote why then do union seem to have the power of a vote?

Should more companies get involved in sitting down with their employees during an election and explaining why voting for party X would be a good benefit to the company and therefore a good benefit to the employees?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Because employers should be apolitical. If an employer did advocate for its employees to vote a certain way, wait for the outcry.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

But unions can and thats fine?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:I haven't figured out what point is being made?
Is it that Manitoba will continue being a welfare province until it starts to manufacture its oil, and potash, which is causing Saskatchewan a headache in contributing to its 3 billion dollar surplus from business taxes?

Alberta is in worse shape with an 11 billion dollar surplus!

FYI: Manitoba is sitting pretty, if the provincial governmnet opened up the north to mineral and oil exploration we too could be one of those nasty provinces with a surplus.

If Manitoba had some progressive leaders with real business sense we could easily be a have province with a non-oil based economy.

A few more hydro-electric dams, new transmission lines on the east side of the big lake. Some deals with Excell energy of Minnesota and with Montana-Dakota Utilities Co., Northern States Power Company, and Otter Tail Corporation in North Dakota.

End the provincial governments abuse of crown corps' bank accounts. They belong to the corporation and not to the general revenues of Manitoba.

Cut payroll tax, encourage companies to set up manufacturing or more aerospace companies to set up in and around Winnipeg, Brandon, Morden/Winkler, Steinbach. Use Winnipeg's central location for what it is, a very good selling point for relocating North American distribution centers here.

I could go on and on.. But sometimes I ask myself why? Why should I care when so many others either don't care or remain silent? Why do we need to rely on Transfer payments from the Fed's? Some vision and strategic planing with some good and proper financial leadership would take Manitoba out of the dark ages.

And that my friends is why Saskatchewan has surged ahead of us. They have taken the initiative and did the right thing.

Anonymous

Perhaps we need to replicate Saskatchewan's move to form a new political party...and oust the NDP.

We need another Brad Wall methinks.

Last edited by JTF on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling oops)

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Pavolo wrote:Remeber the oil revenue they are recieving for now when it is gone they will be back at the trough like us . And it will not last as long as Alberta .
Exactly, international analysts predict that Canada will be hardest hit of all countries by the global recession due to the dependence on oil and commodities. Alberta is already feeling the pinch of an oil price lower than profitability and oil companies have halted expansion plans. Soon all these workers who have flocked there to make a quick dollar will be back in their home provinces to collect welfare dollars, abandoning their overpriced homes and unaffordable mortgages.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you mean just like every time oil booms and busts?

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

eViL tRoLl wrote:
Pavolo wrote:Remeber the oil revenue they are recieving for now when it is gone they will be back at the trough like us . And it will not last as long as Alberta .
Exactly, international analysts predict that Canada will be hardest hit of all countries by the global recession due to the dependence on oil and commodities. Alberta is already feeling the pinch of an oil price lower than profitability and oil companies have halted expansion plans. Soon all these workers who have flocked there to make a quick dollar will be back in their home provinces to collect welfare dollars, abandoning their overpriced homes and unaffordable mortgages.

And see, that is why I love my company. The majority of our clients are not oil and gas based, but rather industrial, unlike many other environmental consulting companies here in Alberta such as the one I worked for as a summer student last year. A reduction in oil and gas prices will have little effect on the amount of work we get, so my chances of being laid off are slim to none, and I can still make a more than decent wage.

Of course, not everyone is in this boat.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You work in a boat in Alberta?

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

He's a pirate on the North Saskatchewan River.....

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thats a good song.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I still do npt understand the headline? Is someone saying that Manitoba would be a have province, if it tried to develop its mineral wealth??
That makes absolutely no sense to me! Companies develop what they think will be profitable!
We had a Conservative government for 10 years and I am sure that Manitoba was open for business!
Saskatchewan is in the money only because Potash demand and pricing has skyrocketed as well as the oil sands development!

Manitoba will be in the money if we can develop a market for mosquitoes, perhaps a renewal in the pet rock craze of a few years ago, and possibly exporting some welfare recipients!

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

If blue-green algae ever becomes a sought-after export, then we're in the money!

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:I still do npt understand the headline? Is someone saying that Manitoba would be a have province, if it tried to develop its mineral wealth??
That makes absolutely no sense to me! Companies develop what they think will be profitable!
We had a Conservative government for 10 years and I am sure that Manitoba was open for business!
Saskatchewan is in the money only because Potash demand and pricing has skyrocketed as well as the oil sands development!

Manitoba will be in the money if we can develop a market for mosquitoes, perhaps a renewal in the pet rock craze of a few years ago, and possibly exporting some welfare recipients!

They are dying for optimistic people like you out in Calgary, Rosey! You should consider a move out there soon!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum