the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not.

+3
Bartron
grumpy old man
Freeman
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:10 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:wait a minute they are called Engineers and they dont even have a high school education?
I sincerely doubt that. EdWin is merely confused over who was striking.

27VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I was in NYC the one year they had the garbage strike....ahhhhhh, the rats were very happy and active that steamy summer......wonder how nice Trawna is smelling these days?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

28VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:12 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I was living in Toronto during the last garbageman strike. It was a hoot. /sarcasm...

29VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:17 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:wait a minute they are called Engineers and they dont even have a high school education?
I sincerely doubt that. EdWin is merely confused over who was striking.

Perhaps. And I can't comment on the engineering side of things, as I do not know any engineers personally; only PR staff aboard the train. These are the employees I refer to, and if/when they decide to go on strike I would not blame them.

30VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:19 am

Not_Too_Slow

Not_Too_Slow

Freeman wrote:How can any strike be "needed"? 340 workers force the lay off of thousands, up to 12,000 daily passengers inconvenienced, considering the current state of the economy. how is that "needed"? This is a highly unionized environment, how can the conditions deteriorate so badly?

It worked... didn't it?

31VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 am

Anonymous

I've heard that one of the things the employees wanted was to be able to have two days off in a row....something they have been unable to receive for some reason.

Apparently, employees are told at the time of quiting that they have the next day off. If it's true, that's complete Bullcrap imo!!

Employees deserve to be treated better than that.

32VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:32 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Not_Too_Slow wrote:It worked... didn't it?
That remains to be seen. They've merely agreed to arbitration. They will likely end up with a contract. But maybe not what they wanted to begin with. A recession is a really poor time to be striking. Especially when striking a heavily taxpayer subsidized crown corporation...

33VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:35 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:I've heard that one of the things the employees wanted was to be able to have two days off in a row....something they have been unable to receive for some reason.

For the engineers? Maybe that's true, but I don't know. I know it's not 100% true for the PR staff. They might have to do a six day shift, have a day off, do another six day shift and then have about 5-9 days off or something like that.

34VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:37 am

Anonymous

I caught that on the radio the other day....not sure just whom it referred to though.

35VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:42 am

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

EdWin wrote:When you cut back staff to a point where they are doing 5 different jobs at once, running around the train to try and keep pace while dealing with general passenger needs at the same time, barely getting 5 hours of sleep at night, and layovers consisting of 5 hours in a hotel in Vancouver (where again, this time includes getting off the train, eating a meal, sleeping, getting back to the train and starting work), things are sh1t for the workers. They've cut back and cut back so much over the years that the moral of the workers is horrible; so many of them hate their job and have no motivation to care about quality service, and after seeing what they put up with, I don't blame them.

This is why a strike was "needed"; to bring to attention the sh1t working conditions. I just hope most of the demands were met, and that more federal funding is needed or privatize the system to make it more economically efficient.

The whole 5 hour sleep and layover thing is just how the industry works. It's the same for conductors and engineers in freight. I'm sure they knew full well that thoses were the conditions of the job before becoming engineers, because they probably started as conductors.

P.S, You need a high school diploma to work on the railroad now!

36VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:48 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Bartron wrote:
EdWin wrote:When you cut back staff to a point where they are doing 5 different jobs at once, running around the train to try and keep pace while dealing with general passenger needs at the same time, barely getting 5 hours of sleep at night, and layovers consisting of 5 hours in a hotel in Vancouver (where again, this time includes getting off the train, eating a meal, sleeping, getting back to the train and starting work), things are sh1t for the workers. They've cut back and cut back so much over the years that the moral of the workers is horrible; so many of them hate their job and have no motivation to care about quality service, and after seeing what they put up with, I don't blame them.

This is why a strike was "needed"; to bring to attention the sh1t working conditions. I just hope most of the demands were met, and that more federal funding is needed or privatize the system to make it more economically efficient.

The whole 5 hour sleep and layover thing is just how the industry works. It's the same for conductors and engineers in freight. I'm sure they knew full well that thoses were the conditions of the job before becoming engineers, because they probably started as conductors.

P.S, You need a high school diploma to work on the railroad now!

That wasn't how it was 20+ years ago. I think with the new scheduling though that just came into effect, the Winnipeg crew can get a full nights sleep in a hotel; much needed and appreciated. I think the Winnipeg Toronto crew still have to endure a minimal amount of sleep. Plus with more crew years ago, there were less tasks for each individual, thereby reducing late nights working and more sleep; the complete opposite now.

And as for highschool, if you don't know anyone who works on VIA, then yes you do need a high school diploma. But if you know people in the higher ranks like I do (and are bilingual which is also a requirement), you can sneak your way in even if you don't have an education of any kind. It's still possible, and still happening. Maybe to a lesser degree, but it still happens.

37VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:50 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

But if that is true EdWin perhaps they should be grateful that patronage can get them a job they don't qualify for and on the taxpayers dime. Grateful = no strike...

38VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:00 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:But if that is true EdWin perhaps they should be grateful that patronage can get them a job they don't qualify for and on the taxpayers dime. Grateful = no strike...

Perhaps, but with respect to the veterans who have been working for years and years, I say there should be better working conditions and that they have put in their time with the company and do have the right to demand more.

I still say privatization might be a solution to at least some of the issues, as well.

39VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Anonymous

Doesn't the person's feelings of being grateful for having a job enevitably lead to the employer taking advantage of that position?

40VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not_Too_Slow wrote:
Freeman wrote:How can any strike be "needed"? 340 workers force the lay off of thousands, up to 12,000 daily passengers inconvenienced, considering the current state of the economy. how is that "needed"? This is a highly unionized environment, how can the conditions deteriorate so badly?

It worked... didn't it?
LEts see how the binding arbitration settles out. And I guess if you're one of the 340 compared to the thousands of others put out by the strike, then I guess you might think it worked.

41VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:04 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:
Not_Too_Slow wrote:

It worked... didn't it?
LEts see how the binding arbitration settles out. And I guess if you're one of the 340 compared to the thousands of others put out by the strike, then I guess you might think it worked.

In speaking with several on-train crew members affected by the strike, they didn't seem to mind getting some time off away from VIA. It was a break from the chaos of the company.

42VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I know the feeling, its called vacation.

43VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:10 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:I know the feeling, its called vacation.

I guess you can call it whatever you feel is appropriate.

44VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

BTW, shouldn't this be in the national section?

45VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

True, but I get paid while I'm on vacation and it doesn't inconvenience a whole lot of other people. And most importantly, I don't whine about it.

46VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. - Page 2 Empty Re: VIA Rail on strike...no, they`re not. Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:12 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

EdWin wrote:BTW, shouldn't this be in the national section?
Good catch. Moved as suggested...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum