the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS

+2
grumpy old man
Miz point
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Two horrendous cases came out on the news this week....the first case of the four women being found in their car near the Kingston Locks and the second case of a gang rape against an 8 year old girl near a housing complex in Phoenix. What is the one theme that comes out of these two tragedies that is as equally tragic for its implications as were the two aforementioned crimes?

I will elucidate further but I gotta run.....here are the story links....

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/23/phoenix.juvenile.assault/index.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/07/24/montreal-canal-deaths-saint-leonard-reaction.html

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

2WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:13 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't see a real connection between the two cases. In the honour killing case I'd like to wring the necks of the parents and brother. What a hosesh1te society these people come from that accepts honour killings.

In the case of the little girl the boys should all be castrated and I'd like to wring the necks of the girls family for how they've responded.

Deport them all, from both countries, after they've served their sentences. We don't need that sh1t in Canada. I don't imagine the Americans want that sh1t in the US either.

3WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The connection is quite obvious to me as someone who has pursued Islamic studies and how Islam has been interpreted or misused within tribal culture. The thing about honor, that has to do with community perceptions, misperceptions and such.....in the case of the rape the blame is placed on the victim (no longer a virgin thus damaged goods and what kind of family would allow this yada yada yada) and in the case of the murders there was likely pressure from other relatives and community members for the women of this family to conform.....no conformity then the honor has been betrayed.....

It is the great male imperative.....Islam will be blamed but what should be blamed are those in those cultures who refuse to speak up against this and those Imams in the Islamic communities be they Shia or Sunni who should be condemning these acts because there is no basis in Sharia-ah law for honor killings.....

Oh there is a connection alright. I wonder right now how many young girls who have immigrated from the horn of Africa have been genitally mutilated in this country and in the States for example...it what we close our eyes to as as community in the name of cultural diversity and freedom - we are just as complicit. If it had been me seeing the women of that family doing all the dirty work you can be your sweet ass I would have had a snarky remark to make to the so-called men. But that is me - I am a rarity.

4WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:11 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Did anyone say what year the Nissan Sentra was?

http://www.elansofas.com

5WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why would anyone want to immigrate here, escaping the oppression where they are, to enjoy the freedom that we all enjoy, then commit such an act, in obvious disgust that their children are enjoying what they came here for.

No trial necessary, immediate deportation. Case closed.

6WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Punish first please. Then deport.

7WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm trying to save money.

8WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:15 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Not to sound racist at all (I am an immigrant myself, as are my wifes parent's), but perhaps we need to review our immigration policies and maybe look at changing some policies when it comes to encouraging immigration from countries where societal norm's are not even remotely similar to ours.

There's plenty of strange customs in my own culture, but I can't even begin to fathom how some groups can view rape as the victim's fault, how the victim is "shaming" the family, how daughters are "dishonouring" the family for attempting to embrace Canadian culture, or how it's ok in some cultures to murder their children ?

I've long believed that the religous/cultural beliefs of many countries do not lend well to immigration and INTEGRATION into Canadian society. Untill citizenship and immigration get this through their heads we will only continue to read about more of these tragic cases.

9WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So, is it mosaic vs melting pot?

10WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm a believer in melting pot myself (coming from an immigrants perspective). You have to adjust to your new culture and home...not the other way around. The mosiac idea is a failure and creates more division not less, IMHO.

11WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Anonymous

If people from other countries prefer to live the law by their own twisted version of their respective religions instead of Canadian law, they should be deported and never heard from again. Case closed.

12WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Thats a big difference between us and the Mericans. We (don't include me in the we) have allowed and even encouraged immigrants to maintain their culture to the point that every one is a hyphenated Canadian.

I heard a story today about a bunch of Hutterites in Alberta who were contesting the fact that they had to have their pictures taken for drivers licenses. WTF, why is that even a story. No photo, no license, simple right!

13WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:17 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Agreed 100% Freeman.

14WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummmm, well, my cultural heritage is Irish.

And one of the Irish' cultural things is drinking. You're telling me drinking is a BAD thing? Something we should not want to bring with us when we emigrated?

Pfffft.

15WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Ummmm, well, my cultural heritage is Irish.

And one of the Irish' cultural things is drinking. You're telling me drinking is a BAD thing? Something we should not want to bring with us when we emigrated?

Pfffft.

Depends on if you can handle your booze.

16WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pfffft.

Fock no.....we Irish are the poet/warriors of this planet.....booze is the fuel or the fire to create the fuel.....mind you as one gets older and somewhat wiser there is less fuel needed for certain fires. Imagination rules.

17WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:49 am

Anonymous

And we tell a wee story or two , some say .

18WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:51 am

Anonymous

With the thread Too many people come expecting us to adjust to them , when they should adjust to us . As someone else said it is time for them to live by our laws and leave there fights back home .

19WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pfffft.

OK, allow the good stuff, but leave the bad stuff behind. Apparently bagpipes originated in Ireland and they should not be allowed into Canada.

20WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:25 am

Anonymous

Blasphemy are you the scots invented those windbags !

21WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

BAGPIPES ARE COOL.......they used to scare the crap outta the enemy in strange, faraway places.....there is nothing more poignant than seeing a piper playing on a hillside or at a military ceremony.....warms me heart I tell ye'.

22WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 am

Anonymous

They do have a certain effect true .

23WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:00 am

Anonymous

They make me want to eat sheeps' guts and oatmeal....

24WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:10 am

Anonymous

SEE At least you don,t put on a skirt.

25WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Empty Re: WHEN HONOUR SUPERCEDES HUMAN RIGHTS Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:14 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

HAGGIS.....most excellent food, preferrably washed down with some good single malt.....maybe we should just start a thread about why Scottish/Irish culture RULES!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum