the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

human rights report raps Canada.

+3
grumpy old man
Triniman
Deank
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1human rights report raps Canada. Empty human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Canada-rapped-for-treatment-of-natives_-Afghan-detainees-46325012.html

yeah yeah, same old same old every year.

What I would like to know is what plan someone has for this issue.
"
The Native Women's Association of Canada recently reported that 520 native girls and women have been killed or have vanished since 1970.
Sixty-seven per cent of the total - 348 victims - were murdered and almost one-quarter are still missing. No one has been charged in 150 confirmed homicides.
The government cites $5 million spent on the Sisters in Spirit research campaign, and says it's working on a second phase. About half the 520 cases occurred in the last nine years"

What could possibly help? Seriously. Its not the government (I hope) actively going out and kidnapping raping and killing these women. What can the government possibly do?

2human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:What could possibly help? Seriously. Its not the government (I hope) actively going out and kidnapping raping and killing these women. What can the government possibly do?
Build a frickin' museum?

3human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 9:47 am

Anonymous

Building a museum gets the support of numerous groups that like the idea of the money being diverted from real help to make sure the Indian Industry continues unabated.

4human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am

Anonymous

I am willing to bet that any perceived human rights abuses by Canada will be conveiently left out of the museum. And I am positive that Israel's occupation of Palestine will not be mentioned at all.

5human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 10:16 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

They've been warning us that the museum will be controversial and some "communities" will be disappointed that their stories won't be told. Only so much floor space, don't cha know.
If they really want to disappoint and be controversial, they should have no permanent exhibits. Yep, that means no permanent holocaust gallery. Have it and others rotate every once in a while. But no permanent gallery for any one group.

6human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 am

Anonymous

Triniman wrote:They've been warning us that the museum will be controversial and some "communities" will be disappointed that their stories won't be told. Only so much floor space, don't cha know.

*cough* (enemies of Israel) *cough*!

7human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 10:26 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

HurtinAlbertan wrote:*cough* (enemies of Israel) *cough*!
I not sure if this will help make you feel better, or worse!
human rights report raps Canada. Asper

8human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 1:30 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are you anti-Asper or anti-Jew?

9human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Are you anti-Asper or anti-Jew?
I'm neither. Can't speak for Hurtin' AB, though. Who is the question directed at?

10human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

What the hell kind of question is that?

11human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm anti museum. It wouldn't matter what religion Asker was. This is a HUGE waste of tax dollars, even more so now.

12human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I agree TOTALLY with Gothic_chic.
You go, girl!

13human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 1:55 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:
What the hell kind of question is that?
What the hell kind of question is this?

14human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 2:40 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Good point that there will be things left out of the museum. Because every other museum has everything in it. Like the Manitoba Museum's huge Egyptian and ancient Greece exhibits. Or the vivid detail it goes into on the spanish civil war.
There will be some permanent exhibits and some temporary exhibits. It's a freakin museum, not a global archives of everything that every had anything to do with human rights. We don't expect the National Gallery of Canada to have every painting in the world displayed so why is are people so concerned that every single thing won't be displayed at the human rights museum? If you think a topic is important enough to be there take the time to put a display together and submit it as a temporary exhibit. Oh crap, I just drew a sketch and it's not in the National Gallery! We should shut that huge waste of money down because my work is under-represented!

15human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Anonymous

umcrouc0 wrote:Good point that there will be things left out of the museum. Because every other museum has everything in it. Like the Manitoba Museum's huge Egyptian and ancient Greece exhibits. Or the vivid detail it goes into on the spanish civil war.
There will be some permanent exhibits and some temporary exhibits. It's a freakin museum, not a global archives of everything that every had anything to do with human rights. We don't expect the National Gallery of Canada to have every painting in the world displayed so why is are people so concerned that every single thing won't be displayed at the human rights museum? If you think a topic is important enough to be there take the time to put a display together and submit it as a temporary exhibit. Oh crap, I just drew a sketch and it's not in the National Gallery! We should shut that huge waste of money down because my work is under-represented!
I believe the people should have a say in what goes into the museum. Israel has been violating human rights in the occupied territories for over 40 years. I dont think that should be left out. It just seems like the Holocaust seems to have a monopoly on this kind of issue in North American media, when genocides that are equally as horrific get little or no mention.
I mean if you think about it, why do we have a Holocaust memorial at the Legislative grounds. Sure it was horrible what happened to the Jews in World War II, but what does it have to do with Canada. We did not participate in it, and no Jews were tortured or killed here. However, I guess if you have deep enough pockets, the government will let you build anything on their property.

16human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Museum is touring Canada soliciting input. Not enough?

17human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Why are they touring Canada? Is human rights really that hidden of an issue that they need to tour Canada?

AND... thats not the point GOM... Them touring Canada or just doing research (which should have been done a long long long time ago to prove the need/want for this museum) means nothing if they dont actually include alot of the issues in the museum.

How hard is it for them TODAY, to put forward the first two years of what concepts will be displayed? If they dont have that plan already, then they have failed again. And if they do have the plan, where is the harm in showing it?

18human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:13 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

They are soliciting input from Canadians coast to coast. God knows were they to not do that they'd have the same antagonists bitching about that.

As for their ability to plan I think it has been well documented that they can't, don't or won't...

19human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:14 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Of course, they already know more than enough to program it for a couple of years.
Could they collect stories "online"? Sure, but one of their goals is no doubt to try to raise money while on the road.
They say the hotels and food on the road are pretty nice. Perks of being on the Board, eh?
The project is pretty much doomed anyway, due to finances.

20human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:They are soliciting input from Canadians coast to coast. God knows were they to not do that they'd have the same antagonists bitching about that.

As for their ability to plan I think it has been well documented that they can't, don't or won't...

but do they really need to be on tour to do that? really?

Yeah I can see actually having to go out and get some of the video statements that they will be displaying on the big screen when you walk in. But again, wouldn't that be more of a plan where to go and when instead of just aimlessly wandering around speaking to random people?

21human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahhh, who fricking cares. There is nothing these people can do that won't create some fricking firestorm. I grow very weary of all the extreme horseh1te surrounding this.

22human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

will it be enough when it becomes 2 Billion for this project?

Remember when the gun registry first came out and the price was a mere $2 million? Not bad for what they wanted to do eh? Maybe we should have all started yelling more then and questioning how it would be used then and asking for a plan then? But then again....maybe we should just always sit by and do nothing while the government spends our money needlessly with no plan or thought.

23human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Knock yourself out. I'm not advocating peeps should not b1tch, moan and complain. What I said was no matter how the museum curators go about soliciting input from Canadians someone will b1tch, moan and complain.

This subject has a way of polarizing people like few others I've been involved in.

I am curious though about why it is felt that to illustrate a point we must blow things completely outta perspective. Like suggesting we should just always sit by and do nothing. Not sure how that helps the debate.

24human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Even if this museum is built I have zero desire to ever see the inside. If I want to know about human rights abuses I can watch the news or rent a movie. I really can't see how this museum will ever make money....

25human rights report raps Canada. Empty Re: human rights report raps Canada. Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are public museum's expected to make money? How many do in Canada? It's just a rhetorical question...

I have zero desire to visit the Manitoba Children's Museum or the Winnipeg Art Gallery. If I wanted to know about the Marilyn Monroe exhibit or Tigers and Dragons I too could go to the internet and have a look-see.

I don't know how much the taxpayer subsidized these museums during construction and for annual operating costs. But they add to the fabric of the city and appeal to some. I would not begrudge the costs for these either. To each his own on such things I guess.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum