the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got my MTS Bill fot tv , phone internet- $141 for the Month

+6
love&hate
FlyingRat
Deank
grumpyrom
Triniman
rosencrentz
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

eViL tRoLl

contributor plus
contributor plus

I would assume that if you have a wireless router and NOT configure WPA, MAC address, and blocked SSWID, you do this with the intention of setting up a neighborhood freenet.

I once had a neighbour who did not even change the default password - I changed its SSID to "Dumbass Freenet" - never used it myself though.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Grumpyrom- everything is arguable! I am not sure how young you are, but if someone said to me that I am stealing bandwidth, I would tell him/her that he/she was leaving bandwidth on my property and as such, that I was using leftover, excess bandwith and was not stealing anything, but recycling, as I do paper, plastic and all foodstuffs like apple cores, coffee grinds, leaves, grass clippings. My wifes garden has been built up with 1 1/2 feet of compost, recycled!
Bandwidth not being used is OK. There is no thft! There is no extra charge to them.

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Rosen, there's no such thing as excess bandwidth...you are reducing the amount available to the legitimate subscriber who has paid for all of that bandwidth. Wether you take 5% or 50% is irrelevant. I also don't see how age factors into any of this but I am likely many decades younger than you. If your so sure of the fact that no theft is occuring then please feel free to ask the RCMP for guidance on the matter as I suggested above.

The way I look at it it's no different than walking into someone's house uninvited just because the front door is unlocked. I'm assuming no one here would do that because it's "wrong", but yet you'd gladly logon to someone's private network because they forgot or didn't have the techinical knowledge to "lock the front door".

You wouldn't just assume you have the right to walk into their house because the door is open, but you choos to assume their network is a free access point because their is no lock on it. People can justify the things they do in a million different ways, but it's still freeloading, and it's still illegal.

As for those that leave their wi-fi open they clearlydon't have the technical knowledge to realise the dangers they are exposing themselves to as mentioned above. It'd be nice to see some public service announcements in print and media alerting more to the dangers and legal consequences of not securing your network.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

eViL tRoLl wrote:I would assume that if you have a wireless router and NOT configure WPA, MAC address, and blocked SSWID, you do this with the intention of setting up a neighborhood freenet.

I once had a neighbour who did not even change the default password - I changed its SSID to "Dumbass Freenet" - never used it myself though.

Not only accessing their network but making changes as well....tisk tisk. You know what they say when you assume....

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

All this talk is making think about the a-holes who sit in airports and coffee shops creating free access points with names very similar to the legitimate free internet offered by the airport/shop etc. They then proceed to log all you keystrokes and steal whatever valuable info they can from you....what's to stop your neighbourhood "free wi-fi provider" from doing the same?

Something to think about.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have no idea what you just said! My daughter just came out of the house to say hello to me, and she ws on the internet, because her phone does everything. I am out on the forum in my gazeebo with better reception than when I was paying for it. She said it may slow down if someone is downloading, but I just salved my conscience by offering my electrical outlet to my next door neighbour , so he can light upm his neat 6'x10' little house he set up for his kid. He also asked to plug into my TV coverage , which I said sure to! Why would one care about sharing? No point explaining technical, theft of information etc , because it means nothing to me.
Should I tell him that I am draining his water and electricity when he is out at the cabin?
Moral dilema? No! None of anyone's business!! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

anny

contributor
contributor

grumpyrom wrote:I am likely many decades younger than you.

My universe just imploded. In my head, you were in a much older age bracket.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum