the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

damn would this level of detail be nice for our access to police reports

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and? you see any names in the above reports other then the deputy's names? ( which in my opinion should not be published )

heck our police force already releases some Media information
http://winnipeg.ca/police/press/2009/05may/2009_05_19.stm

they know how to leave names out when they want to.,

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

I thought we were talking about making certain parts of official police reports public. Not creating a separate release of information for every single incident.

So would you hire a bunch more media department people, instead of putting more cops on the street?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Do the police take the cow's hoof print??

Yes, and they charged the cow with uddering threats.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:
FlyingRat wrote:So you'll retrain the police to enter reports without using names?

Actually that could work. If the fields that are publicly accessible are indicated, so the police can use "subject A" and "subject B" type of indications, with the name fields held in a protected field, that would work?

Now what is the cost of this training and interface changes, and to what benefit?
I must be missing something Rat, what makes you think that we need the details like

Police responded to a call of Deank had his pants around his ankles and his gitch on his head at 23 Haddon Road
a simple
Police repsonded to a call of complaint of extremely attactive naked man in Garden Grove

is all that is needed to be reported on.

That would be 2 completely separate incidents, not involving the same person, right?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"So would you hire a bunch more media department people, instead of putting more cops on the street?"

No I am saying that a small copshop knows how to release information without any names or specific details, so I dont know how we could not do it. Its seems real simple.

And yes actually to the less cops on the street. We have WAY WAY WAY too many police officers cleaning up after the fact we need to switch gears to crime prevention and reduce the police force.

crazy talk I know, but more cops is quite obviously not the answer

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Freeman wrote:
Deank wrote:
FlyingRat wrote:So you'll retrain the police to enter reports without using names?

Actually that could work. If the fields that are publicly accessible are indicated, so the police can use "subject A" and "subject B" type of indications, with the name fields held in a protected field, that would work?

Now what is the cost of this training and interface changes, and to what benefit?
I must be missing something Rat, what makes you think that we need the details like

Police responded to a call of Deank had his pants around his ankles and his gitch on his head at 23 Haddon Road
a simple
Police repsonded to a call of complaint of extremely attactive naked man in Garden Grove

is all that is needed to be reported on.

That would be 2 completely separate incidents, not involving the same person, right?

hmm nope same person, not sure why you would think any differently....

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Put your name in for the police board and find out I am not against it, just not into tieing up the up system with useless debate about stuff people do not fully understand . If they have a legitimate beef and it is documented then go for it .
Wow Pav. Not at all condescending. The whole point of this forum is for peeps to learn and discuss issues that interest them.

Sorry if us stoopid people that don't fully understand ask stoopid questions. WTF.

Read my first post on this.
This is not rocket surgery eh? What happens to the reports police write up? Are they entered into a database? Extracting certain details and putting them on line is a no brainer and is easily automated.
Then there is this:
There is likely never going to be the will to go there. The police will throw up every roadblock, legal or otherwise, to prevent it.
Seems like not only the police will throw up roadblocks eh?

Anonymous

First if you take the chip off your shoulder I meant no one in particuler just any one, join the board and you can find out quite a bit of the info you want . The part about the waste of time is to do with the useless reports that come in taking time and money to proccess about some one being offended by the look they got from an officer and they do get them .

Also where did I use the word stupid or imply cept in your mind wtf.

If you really want to know the biggest amount of opposition will be from the rights people like the last time their was change suggested, My name can,t be used even though I want the officer fired . But his name should be published . I f you can get the drift .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nope. Chip stays Pav. You want people to stop reacting so poorly to your posts you will have to find a way to convey your view without it appearing to be "no one in particuler (sic)".

Instead of defaulting to a view that something is "useless" and people "don't fully understand" why not try to find out where people are in the knowledge chain. Why not try to educate people that "don't fully understand" BEFORE dismissing their view.

That is how I interpreted the post.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not that anyone called for a vote Pav, but I find you to be the one with the chip on your shoulder. Your comment about "tieing up the up system with useless debate about stuff people do not fully understand", seems to be a pretty strong indictment. This is a debate, present your opinion, facts are nice but not necessary, but don't present your opinion as fact.

This is a sandbox, lets play nice.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Facts are demanded. Provide three links to factual facts. Blogs with other opinions closely matching yours will be accepted as facts.

Yours truly, a.

Anonymous

1 There are stupid people out there who will complain about all that they can and of course it will be the police depts fault , and where has anyone on here been put in that . And no ones veiw was dismissed at all .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but the reporting I am looking for is not the morons who are complaining about the police work. its the actual police work.

Anonymous

Same answer join the board if it bother s you that much .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pavolo! I want this information to be available to all citizens how is that difficult to understand?

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Deank! Join the board! Then post the information here! lol!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

FlyingRat wrote:Deank! Join the board! Then post the information here! lol!

The board is actually quite secret in what information can be shared from its meetings.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Break the paradigm! Be the change you wish to see! You can do it!

Anonymous

They are sworn to secrecy as there is info that the police do not want given to anyone, why they need to buy a new Harley Davidson or why the budget has been blown in the gang unit .
Maybe when you get on it you can change it .

In the mean time don,t take it out on me . Go change it or accept it , hint it is in the change and the new boards will be formed run for them watch the city site and the paper . over the next year. I know the committee that is dealing with the rules for the new board. This is the only way you will pique your interest and if you get bored at the meeting then you can quit a year later.

Anonymous

Deank wrote:Pavolo! I want this information to be available to all citizens how is that difficult to understand?

Some of what you want will never be face it you have no right to know .

Anonymous

As a cop Dean Pav is right there are some things the public will never know it is the nature of the beast. And Iam not here to defend him only to reinforce it so you can see it .

Anonymous

Old Chum wrote:As a cop Dean Pav is right there are some things the public will never know it is the nature of the beast. And Iam not here to defend him only to reinforce it so you can see it .

You're the same person right?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pav Old Chum... What utter bunk. First, no one asked for every detail to be released the nanosecond it becomes available. Second I have EVERY right to know. Where in the name of God do you come up with this stuff? Please note that I don't give a rat's ass that this is the way things have been always done. You do understand that don't you?

This is not some uber secret society we live in. It is about time we realize that the police do not have the right to completely and fully withhold information from the public. And before jumping all over that think about it. Information CAN be released. In STAGES. We can protect those that need protection, like names, like innocent peeps involved.

How about we get used to that? Time we changed the nature of the beast Pav old chum.

Harrumph, no right to know my ass.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What crap. As soon as someone is charged, it is a matter of public record except in certain cases. If you really wanted to, you could access this info via the court process. As shown by the example, the discussion is over WPS being able to produce a similar report. Common sense dictates what and what not can be disclosed, but the fact that police attended a disturbance on Haddon Road, and tazed a naked guy wearing his underwear on his head and that charges are pending, is in no way secret nor protected under privacy legislation. LIkewise, the fact that there is surveillance on a property on Wellington Crescent where a man appears to be smoking marijuana cigars and drinking Crown Royal in his gazebo, should not be released to the public.

Presently, the WPS and all police services for that matter, publicly disclose information on "high profile" cases, and it becomes an issue of resources (manpower and $$) as to how much more can be made public, but those are political decisions.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

really good post Freeman I hope all police officers can read that and understand that.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I guess there never will be really large police departments that figure out how to release all the information and keep some details private nope wont ever happen and if they do, there is no way that it will have mapping software

http://www.crimereports.com/map/index/?search=+San%20Francisco+CA

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum