the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

will nurses be the Death of the NDP?

+8
EdWin
Electrician
AGEsAces
Freeman
FlyingRat
libermom
Time Lord
Deank
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:27 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I think we all remember the crazy ass deal the nurses union got last time they went into contract negotiations

always be the 4th highest paid in the country...

yeah so on top of the 5.1% raise that went into effect in October 1.

They are getting an additional 5%.

ouch... I wonder what that will cost us every year. a freakin 10% raise this year.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Manitoba/2008/10/16/7105961.html

2will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:29 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so you have to wonder how many years of this 10% raises for our nurses that we can afford and what kind of impact this will have on basic healthcare.

will Manitobans care come next election? Will this be the straw that breaks the NDP back? Or will we all just remain blissfully unaware of where all our tax money is going?

3will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:51 am

Anonymous

It's disgusting the way Doer bows to the unions.

We need to stop allowing all the part-time nursing jobs.

4will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:57 am

Time Lord

Time Lord

I can think of much worse places to spend tax dollars. If we want decent heath care it's going to cost a lot of cash.

There may be ares we can cut costs but I would think nurses would be about the last place I'd look at cutting.

http://www.jacsport.com

5will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont think anyone said anything about cutting nurses.

6will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

Deank wrote:I dont think anyone said anything about cutting nurses.

The talk is about nurses pay raises. Not paying them competitive wages means they would be inclinded to go elsewhere.

7will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh please... having them be gaurenteed at 4th place has nothing to do with them being competitive and has everything to do with them being over compensated.

8will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

Deank wrote:oh please... having them be gaurenteed at 4th place has nothing to do with them being competitive and has everything to do with them being over compensated.

What formula would you use to pay them? I personally want good nurses, not the low bidder.

9will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

1) What are your accomplishments in the past year?
2) What additional education have you obtained in the past year?
3) What are you goals for this year?
4) What is the persons supervisors rating of them?

I dont understand how you can think that just because they get a 10% raise they are "good nurses". In fact seems to me that giving such a high salary indiscriminately would guarentee we end up with more "bad" nurses then good ones.

10will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Anonymous

How dare anyone challenge what we pay nurses eh?

That's the first thing we must do imo. However, in this Province, nobody in government would ever think of doing that. (see Floodway)

11will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:10 pm

libermom

libermom

Time Lord wrote:

The talk is about nurses pay raises. Not paying them competitive wages means they would be inclinded to go elsewhere.

The new batch of nurses coming through nursing probably won't be able to go anywhere else other than Manitoba. The nursing program no longer requires chemistry so they will end up being less employable elsewhere in country. This according to a chemistry prof at the UofM.

12will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

libermom wrote:
Time Lord wrote:

The new batch of nurses coming through nursing probably won't be able to go anywhere else other than Manitoba. The nursing program no longer requires chemistry so they will end up being less employable elsewhere in country. This according to a chemistry prof at the UofM.

Please tell me that just a rumour. Good god why would they do something like that?

13will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:42 pm

libermom

libermom

Oh I don't think so. A friend of mine organized a homeschooling fieldtrip to the chemistry dept at the Uof M and was talking to the chem. prof about nursing as that was what she did before staying home to homeschool her kids and that is what he told her. By dropping the requirement it makes it easier for more people to become nurses.

14will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"By dropping the requirement it makes it easier for more people to become nurses."

oh man that bites.. but not unexpected I guess.

15will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

From the U of M site:
"qualifies the graduate to write national registration examinations and
become a member of the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba,
entitled to the designation Registered Nurse (RN)."

That means RN is a nationally recognized qualification.

16will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:12 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

So you can fail the chemistry part of the exam and still pass?

17will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

FlyingRat wrote:So you can fail the chemistry part of the exam and still pass?

No clue. I'm just pointing out that nurses and I'm sure most other professions, are qualified to national standards.

18will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:36 pm

libermom

libermom

Time Lord wrote:From the U of M site:
"qualifies the graduate to write national registration examinations and
become a member of the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba,
entitled to the designation Registered Nurse (RN)."

That means RN is a nationally recognized qualification.

I would think the more important part of that would a member of the College of Reigistered Nurses of MANITOBA. I don't think it qualifies them to be members in other provinces. They would then have to write an exam to be qualified in other provinces. If other provinces havn't dropped the chemistry requirement then new nurses may run into a few problems. My aunt is a nurse and she still has to take refresher courses to keep her skills current.

19will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:35 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Having a collective agreement which ties a rate of pay into someone else's rate of pay is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. (If they get it, why can't we?) Doer has to pay back the nurses for helping him get elected, its that simple. The standard rate of pay for a nurse is about $35 per hour....$35 per hour? Say that to yourself a few times.

20will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:19 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Say that to yourself a few times."

I'd rather not be sick this morning... thanks

21will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:31 am

Anonymous

What about overtime? That should be good for $25K a year eh? (sorry Dean).

22will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:40 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

When you're dealing with a company as large as the government...you HAVE to tie-in rates of pay with others around the country, or you'd never get people to work in certain fields or locations.

The RCMP does the same thing...their payscale is valued against other Police Forces throughout Canada, and a scale is used to keep them within the top 5 pay rates nationwide.

By default, all the support staff workers are scaled against the Officer's rates of pay as well.

http://www.photage.ca

23will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Are the criminals in jail (they are sharing the same premissis) entitled to the same pay?

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

24will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:14 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I would HOPE, the prisoners aren't getting ANY pay Smile).

http://www.photage.ca

25will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Empty Re: will nurses be the Death of the NDP? Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:56 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think it is very easy to pick on the nurses here. But what about the Doctors? How much to they make? Are they "overpaid" too? Maybe we should be having this discussion as well.

What about lawyers? pharmacists? politicians? Are all these people overpaid? Should we consider cutting their pay aswell because it's too high?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum