the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

U of W in budget crunch.. asks profs to take a pay cut.

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/u-of-w-seeks-employee-concessions-42726922.html

I wonder if maybe the UofW should stop this spending spree of expansion if it cant meet its current obligations.. I wonder if maybe some thought should be put into what they are doing?

Anonymous

Lloyd Axworthy.

'Nuf said?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Pink Lloyd.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL the best part?
"
But the greatest problem, by far, is an adverse court ruling on the withdrawal of surplus pension funds back in 2001. It may be necessary to find $6 million immediately to pay into the pension fund, he said.
But U of W may also be able to borrow that money and repay the loan's principal and interest over time, reducing how much it needs from employees now, Axworthy said"

in other words.... the pension fund was "raided" for the university and now to pay back the "raid" the uni wants the employees to take a pay cut....LOL nice.. talk about stabbing employees in the front eh?

anny

contributor
contributor

The administration actually already took a pay cut, which I thought was a great move on their part. Axworthy took the largest % cut to his paycheque.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

Anonymous

Heh...enrollment is down and he's expanding like a drunken sailor.

Somebody's got to pay for Lloyd's dreaming.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

anny wrote:The administration actually already took a pay cut, which I thought was a great move on their part. Axworthy took the largest % cut to his paycheque.

yup.. still not nice to be a professor there right now. One of my friends just recently took on more work because someone is away on leave...now this? yeah thats gonna make him happy.

anny

contributor
contributor

They're asking profs to take a paycut or just telling? If they're asking and profs are unwilling, then it won't go through.

UW doesn't have very competitive rates with other universities as it is, so I doubt this will happen.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

asking all employees it seems. i will find out more tonight

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The thinking isn't smart enough as yet for Universities.
They have professors teaching 6-9 hours per week. Dumb ass commie bastards. have the professors double up on their teaching hours and all of a sudden you need 1/2 the professors.
Pretty simple solution. The profs fill in their day with research. Let them teach more, and screw the research into arts and science stuff that no sane commie bastard would care about!
We need cheaper education for all!
My daughter is a prof and I believe she teaches 5 hours per day, but she is the exception because of her ongoing research which is desperately needed! Trying to save and record the Michif langueage.
The North American continent is in dire need of preserving this language that has not been written down!

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

They are required to teach 3 courses per term at UofW. More courses then that and they get paid more. On top of their salary many also get grants for research that they can use the money to pay themselves as well as pay assistants and to pay for any materials they may need.

anny

contributor
contributor

I think people are unaware how important research is to universities. That's a large part of why profs even get hired in the first place or even why they apply to specific universities. Teaching often is second to research.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Agreed. And kudos to those taking pay cuts. We are facing tough times and I expect most people would rather take a pay cut than lose their job...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I know a U of M prof who came from Russia, but was only going to be allowed to work at one specific hospital and under very close supervision in his field of work. Instead he went to the U of M and is doing some very worthwhile and advanced research whilst teaching.

Anonymous

anny wrote:I think people are unaware how important research is to universities. That's a large part of why profs even get hired in the first place or even why they apply to specific universities. Teaching often is second to research.
If so, what has the U of W been doing in terms of research?

I've always thought of this university as a second rate place for teaching...kindava' 'better than nothing' place to get a cheque.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

top recognition has been given up to some profs

Anonymous

Best kept secret in town then.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah our universities dont seem to toot their own horn when it comes to research by the profs..

Anonymous

I'm sorry, but I almost have to chuckle when I see U of W and cutting-edge research in the the sentence.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah me too... Little did I know until I started talking to this oen prof

Anonymous

oen ???

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ummm artisitic way to spell one?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

speaking of which time to pop over to Tom's blog and see if the fun is still going on.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So 3 courses x 3 hours per weak= 9 hours of classes per weak.
Get the commie bastards teaching another 1 course= 3 additional hours = 25% reduction in professors.

get the commie bastards to teach 2 extra courses= 6 hrs extra per weak = 15 hours of classes = 40% reduction of teachers.

get the professors to teach 6 classes=18 hours of classes and a 50% reduction in professors teaching, and that is based on 3 classes per weak, if that is still the standard?
Have I solved all the funding promblems?
The only flaw , is I don't know if we have enough commie bastards teaching?

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no no.. its twice a week at least

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum