the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

BUFA On Strike?

+4
Freeman
LivingDead
SMW
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1BUFA On Strike? Empty BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:11 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Seems the faculty at Brandon University will be manning the picket lines tomorrow. I say these people should NEVER be allowed to screw around with student's lives like this. Another perfect example of unions outgrowing their usefulness.

2BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Anonymous

Yes the union should have to pay for the days the kids are not getting what they paid for shame on them don't feel sorry for the workers at all . You have a job so be glad of that take these jobs and make them essential

3BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:20 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Yes the union should have to pay for the days the kids are not getting what they paid for

I couldn't agree more! Bravo!

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

4BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:05 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Airt Mattrèssor wrote:
Pavolo wrote:Yes the union should have to pay for the days the kids are not getting what they paid for

We need some pro-union guys here to argue their side.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

5BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:06 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

BusDriver and grumpyRom will do the trick...

6BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just coughed up some substantial coin for my daughter and #2 son to go to BU. I wonder if they're going to consider a rebate on tuition for the time that is missed because of this bone head stunt.
#2 son lives in residence, so I wonder if the cafeteria and maintenance staff will cross the picket line or not. If they go out, I guess he'll be on his way home. Wait a minute, I paid for him to live there as well!!

7BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:21 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I thought of your kids when I read that story. This is what I mean. The money spent is one thing. Time lost, especially if a full year, is unforgivable.

8BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You got to wonder about the timing as well. Wait until classes start, then decide you need to strike. Are these guys considered "professionals"?

9BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

If they've been negotiating since April it seems to me that they've tried everything in their power NOT to strike. How long do you expect them to keep negotiating if it's clear progress is not being made? Should they just be content to keep working under the old contract for 1 year, 2 years, 5 years?

If progress is being made I'm all for continuing negotiations past contract expiration dates, but to continue working once no further progress is being made seems illogical to me. To continue working at that point removes any bargaining leverage the union would have as the employer (in this case BU) could just continue stonewalling as long as the employees (in this case proff's etc.) keep working.

Working towards a contract for 5 months past the previous contract expiry seems more than fair. While it may disrupt the students education it seems at first glance that every effort was made to not reach this point, and that perhaps some of the blame lies on BU administration just as much as the evil union. Negotiations take place between two parties, not one.

10BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Only one party decided to strike in this case. Did the negotiations bog down in the last 3 weeks or is it just coincidence that school started at the same time?

11BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:40 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"To continue working at that point removes any bargaining leverage the union would have "

and this is bad.. why?

12BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:"To continue working at that point removes any bargaining leverage the union would have "

and this is bad.. why?

Read my point above, you keep working once negotiations have stalled and your basically saying "I'll take whatever your willing to give". At that point your no longer negotiating, your accepting the current offer. Unless your willing to remove your labour you have no leverage in negotiations.

Conversely why is it bad for the union to excersise their right to withhold their labour untill a satisfactory settlement is reached?

You would argue that it would be unfair and they would be holding the employer hostage. I would argue that it's unfair to keep working without a contract once negotiations have stalled as it holds the employees hostage.

13BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Conversely why is it bad for the union to excersise their right to withhold their labour untill a satisfactory settlement is reached?
"
because there should not be a union. Each person should have to negotiate his or her own wage on their own based on thier qualification and thier performance.

14BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:55 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:Only one party decided to strike in this case. Did the negotiations bog down in the last 3 weeks or is it just coincidence that school started at the same time?

I have no inside knowledge of this matter, but it seems entirely possible that they may have bogged down recently. Who knows except for the parties at the table.
Personally, I think if the union was looking to strike and had no intentions of negotiating in good faith it would have made more sense to strike in the week BEFORE schoold started. This would have put a lot more of the burden on the BU admin to reach a settlement before students started arriving. In my opinion only, holding out for 3 weeks beyond the start date indicates a willingness to try and negotiate a settlement without disrupting classes.
Like I said, only the parties at the table know what the truth is and who (if anyone) is negotiating in bad faith. It's a crappy situation for sure, but it's not fair to lay the blame entirely on one side or the other.
I just find it a little one sided to always blame the "unions" in these matters.

15BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:58 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:"Conversely why is it bad for the union to excersise their right to withhold their labour untill a satisfactory settlement is reached?
"
because there should not be a union. Each person should have to negotiate his or her own wage on their own based on thier qualification and thier performance.

In your opinion.
In my opinion unions serve a very real, and very important purpose in ensuring that employees are treated fairly and equitably by their employer. It holds the employer accountable just as much as the employee. Without a union the balance of power in any type of negotiation will always lie in the hands of the employer.
And please before you go on about the Labour Board and Labour Laws, firstly neither would exist without unions. Secondly, the Labour Board is about as impotent a tool for ensuring fairness in the workplace as I've ever seen.

16BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:01 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I'll agree that Unions have their place in SOME industries.

Primarily those which are "specialized" and non-transferable.

If you're a welder, and you lose your job, it's not that simple to switch over to become a mechanic, or a chef.

It also helps prevent people with little-to-no training to come in and start working for 1/2 the rate...and triple the risk.

But unions for supermarket employees? Maybe the butcher or the baker...but not not for the cashier, shelving, etc. Jobs which are NOT specialized having a union only increases prices for everyone...and as a union demands more, the public has to pay for it.

I don't necessarily agree with companies like WalMart which have "bottom-rate" payscales...but I DO understand their position.

You hire someone, train them, give them their smock, and some education...they work for a week, or a month, and then move on. Do you really think more pay would be an incentive to actually stick around? Not usually.

There are industries where transition-workers are expected. Those which offer college students a "start", or that hire retired people who just want something to do. Putting a union in those environments just raises prices, and does little to retain new workers. What it also does, is forces businesses to keep useless workers, at high pay-scales...because they know the union keeps them from getting fired.

A prime example of this is a Teacher's union. yes...they should have one...but the union demands more FOR teachers and less FROM them. Teachers, by their very job title, should be forced to add to their knowledge consistently. Required to attend additional courses, and test their knowledge based on current information and educational resources. Of course that education should be provided (paid for), but it should be mandatory...and it's not. A high number of teachers who have achieved their "tenure" rest on the information they have, and regurgitate it year after year, even after some of the information has become outdated or even erroneous.

But they can't be fired, because of the union...and if someone tries to challenge it...the union steps up and holds OUR CHILDREN hostage...by implying THEIR union is more important than OUR CHILDREN.

http://www.photage.ca

17BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" the Labour Board is about as impotent a tool for ensuring fairness in the workplace as I've ever seen"

agreed

18BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:36 am

egomaniac

egomaniac

LivingDead wrote:
Airt Mattrèssor wrote:

We need some pro-union guys here to argue their side.

Well, I am *usually* a pro-union supporter. I think unions are a good idea when the work is dangerous or heavy or somethng like that... somebody's gotta protect these people from those that would like to make as much profit as possible without caring about what happens to their employees.
However, in this case, i have to agree with the anti-union guys. These professors are being TREATED to a VERY good/easy job. And the pay is pretty damn good.. i used to know one professor at the university of winnipeg making 90k a year. Comparable to many jobs out there.
I can't understand a professors union.. there doesn't seem to be any reason for it...its a profession that you KNOW is not going to make you wealthy.. but they make up by giving them such good job.
Oh welll... my 2 cents.

http://www.chrisgauthier.com

19BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:49 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" i used to know one professor at the university of winnipeg making 90k a year. "

yeah and they need only teach 3 courses a term and get paid extra for every course over 3 that they teach.
Each course is held what... twice/thrice a week? Last just around an hour?

20BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:54 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:" i used to know one professor at the university of winnipeg making 90k a year. "

yeah and they need only teach 3 courses a term and get paid extra for every course over 3 that they teach.

I will give some credit where it's due.

Professor's may only teach a course that much...but they also have to maintain their curriculum, grade papers/exams, etc. Not as much as they did 30 years ago due to computers...but they still work an extra 10+ hours/week outside the actual classroom setting.

If they are involved in extracurricular activities (ie. faculty advisor for a program) they will have extra duties (and a little extra pay).

Professor's and teachers fall into that "specialized" training I mentioned earlier. I DO think they need a union or association to help speak for them "at large"...but I also still believe there should be more required of them to maintain their education, and should NOT be allowed to hold the students "hostage" to meet demands.

Teachers today should be deemed an "essential service" like police, ambulance, fire...and not allowed to strike.

21BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I know some U of W profs.. the particular courses they teach rarely change. Preparing for a course is sending the same papers down to the photocopy department again. Grading is something they do on the bus on the way into work.

22BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:43 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:I know some U of W profs.. the particular courses they teach rarely change. Preparing for a course is sending the same papers down to the photocopy department again. Grading is something they do on the bus on the way into work.

Actually...grading is probably something they have one of their teaching assistants do Smile.

I'd be more referring to HS Teachers than College...but I was a teaching assistant when I was in college...and I have seen SOME Professors who actually work...unfortunately, they usually aren't the ones who cause problems and demand more.

23BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:14 pm

egomaniac

egomaniac

Deank wrote:" i used to know one professor at
AND lets not forget the fact that they get a paid Teaching / Research assistant (sometimes more than one) that get's paid 10-12/hour.
They are in no way endangered Laughing

http://www.chrisgauthier.com

24BUFA On Strike? Empty Re: BUFA On Strike? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Strike is over. Classes resume Friday AM. Returning daughter to Brandon tomorrow. #2 son returning on Sunday. House will now return to usual abnormal state.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum