the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

CBC wants more In hard economic times others cut, the public broadcaster b

+7
rosencrentz
Deank
FlyingRat
Freeman
Triniman
EdWin
grumpy old man
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

its SMART but is it smart?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

FYI... your liver dont like you very much the next day when you do the above....

Anonymous

Well it would be fun debating it .

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Too bad the CBC has announced it is cuttting 800 jobs- That is a shame that we cannot support that institution properly!
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/608109

http://www.elansofas.com

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wow, $171 million deficit and they cut 800 jobs, so thats $213,750 per job. No wonder they're crying the blues. I'd be pissed if I was about to lose my $213,750 a year cushy, laid back, don't got to work hard job.

Anonymous

I noticed Krista Erickson is back on the news again. They could save a small fortune if they cut-back on her make-up budget....gawd, she looked like a hooker.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

why do we need CBC newsworld? yeah yeah I know some of you will say why do we need CBC anything... but seriously the only people who get newsworld.. get cable or some other high end TV delivery subscription. do we really need CBC newsworld? I cant imagine it saving much.. but its a start.

Anonymous

It's the same news being said over and over, with a few talking heads changing now and then.

Perhaps they should keep Newsworld and dump the regular stuff? Smile

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd keep newsworld and dump everything else. The benefit of repeating the news is you see it when it is convenient to you...

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:I noticed Krista Erickson is back on the news again. They could save a small fortune if they cut-back on her make-up budget....gawd, she looked like a hooker.

Might be a way to generate extra revenue!

Anonymous

I was wondering what she's been up to for the past year...Smile

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Waiting for the damage to her journalistic integrity to recover a little bit before showing her face again in Ottawa.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think I last saw her under Iggy's desk.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

From the darkside...
Re: CBC WANTS BAILOUT... HARPER SAYS NO!

Post by Northender on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:58 pm
Over 800 jobs will be lost and some assets sold. Why is it ok to bail out the autoworkers but not the CBC. I don't get it.
Apparently not! We already bail them out. WTF??? What part of $1.1 billion annual cost paid by taxpayers don't you understand? Give your friggen head a shake n.

Anonymous

Yes wonder who he thinks pays the bill now and for the last 6o yrs .

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The sad part is that the CBC asked for a loan, repayable to offset the downturn in advertising revenues, and our cheap, anti-arts Conservative government said no. Very stupid reaction, as I believe that the CBC should sell no advertising, and produce nothing but made in Canada products, similarly to the BBC.
A repayable loan, and 800 jobs. Too bad we don't have Obama as head of the government!

http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:The sad part is that the CBC asked for a loan, repayable to offset the downturn in advertising revenues, and our cheap, anti-arts Conservative government said no. Very stupid reaction, as I believe that the CBC should sell no advertising, and produce nothing but made in Canada products, similarly to the BBC.
A repayable loan, and 800 jobs. Too bad we don't have Obama as head of the government!

I understand CBC gets about 40 % of their revenue from somewhere besides the government (read taxpayers).
How would they repay a loan if they are already getting 60% of revenue from the taxpayers. It would just become another grant.
Better to cut them off at the pass.

And why shouldn't the CBC sell advertising.
Its a true test of whether people want to buy (see) their products.
If they can't sell advertising on what they are currently broadcasting then its time time broadcast shows which will attract advertisers..

Last edited by Outsider on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

My understanding is the CBS has a $1.8 billion budget. $1.1 billion comes from us, the taxpayer. That means $700m is generated by advertising and other sources. So about 39%.

I found the comparison to the BBC interesting. I'm not sure it is the right benchmark. As I've said ad nauseam in this space I believe the better standard is the PBS in the States.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The request for a loan just shows how arrogant the CBC really is. A loan with what kind of security. They only "earn" 40% of their revenue and the rest is given to them.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/annualreports/2007-2008/index.shtml

scroll down to the financials PDF and some of your questions will be answered

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

CBC decides to cut the popular shows from its line up in an effort to save money.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/090327/entertainment/centertainment_us_canada

bye bye Simpsons, and martha Stewart..

Okay well that actually makes sense.. they are not Canadian shows so it makes little sense that the CBC is showing them... but really.. cutting the shows that people watch and that advertisers pay money for is the way to cut costs????? yeah thats smart.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This is the CBC Deank. Smart is not their strong suit.

When managing my departmental budget in my last career I often cut popular programs when budget cuts were asked. The notion being that if enough people bitched about the cut programs they'd put the money back into my budget. It worked quite well actually.

Perhaps this is what the senior CBC leeches are up to.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

neat theory

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:This is the CBC Deank. Smart is not their strong suit.

When managing my departmental budget in my last career I often cut popular programs when budget cuts were asked. The notion being that if enough people bitched about the cut programs they'd put the money back into my budget. It worked quite well actually.

Perhaps this is what the senior CBC leeches are up to.

I just cant see the CBC execs being that smart.. especially considering that simpsons and Martha plays on other channels in Cable land.. and all the new simpsons are on a completely other channel.

Will I miss the 5 oclock simpsons? yeah for 30 minutes until I watch teh 530 simpsons on Fox. Then again, maybe just maybe the CBC will put on some quality Canadian programming at 5 that I will watch instead... ( also time for CBC to get rid of jeopardy and wheel of fortune )

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Maybe re-runs of The Beachcombers!! Sleep

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum