the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

60 year old lady gives birth in Calgary

+2
Deank
St Norberter
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

160 year old lady gives birth in Calgary Empty 60 year old lady gives birth in Calgary Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

The story came out yesterday about a 60 year old aldy who gave birth in Calgary. She had wanted to get pregnant, but none of the doctors in Canada would do the artificial insemination procedure for her. She then went to India to get the procedure done, and came back here to have the child.

There has been some debate about the ethics of a sixty year old having children, but there is one question that hasn't been raised. I'm not 100% sure how I sit on this, but thought is should be open for debate:

If this person went against all the Doctor's advice and went to India to get the procedure done, should she bear some of the costs for the care she received in Canada during the pregnancy and the delivery? Is the Canadian health care system designed to offer free health care regardless, or is there, inherent in the system, a requirement for the patient to consult and abide with the recommendations and directives of the system? I'm tempted to say that if this person wanted children at her age, but no Dr. in the country would perform the procedure, and then goes to India to get the procedure done, why should the taxpayer have to foot the bill for her medical care related to this in Canada?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thats a heck of a good question

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

But does it then become a slippery slope?

What about smokers? Should they pay for their care when they get lung cancer? Or the morbidly obese (overeating)?

Where do you draw the line? Granted this is a little different than smoking or eating ( not an addiction).

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

I will have to ponder this for a bit...

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

St Norberter wrote:But does it then become a slippery slope?

What about smokers? Should they pay for their care when they get lung cancer? Or the morbidly obese (overeating)?

Where do you draw the line? Granted this is a little different than smoking or eating ( not an addiction).

well the thing about smokers is... with the amount the goverment make off that, they are already paying for their health care. lol!

just kidding... *side note* today is 5 months since i quit Very Happy

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

IG Guy wrote:
St Norberter wrote:But does it then become a slippery slope?

well the thing about smokers is... with the amount the goverment make off that, they are already paying for their health care. lol!

just kidding... *side note* today is 5 months since i quit Very Happy

Well.....you pay taxes on cigarettes, so in effect you are paying for any additional health care you require as a result of smoking.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

yep I did my part...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what about the people that go to other countries and have body parts surgically removed even though they are healthy... should we give them 100% when they come back to Canada?

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:what about the people that go to other countries and have body parts surgically removed even though they are healthy... should we give them 100% when they come back to Canada?

a part of me wants to say no, but another part says they are still canadian...

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:what about the people that go to other countries and have body parts surgically removed even though they are healthy... should we give them 100% when they come back to Canada?

I'm not sure I follow on this. What's the recommendation of the Canadian Health care provider? Is it a failure of the health care system? Or is this an elective procedure not deemed necessary by the health care provider? If is is the latter, I believe they should be paying for the out of country procedure.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

IG Guy wrote:

a part of me wants to say no, but another part says they are still canadian...

Is that part that says no still in Canada?? Suspect

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can I apply for the job of "the decider", so everyone's ethical, moral, and spiritual concerns can be looked after?
Health care for all is the rule of law!

http://www.elansofas.com

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

All my part that have been removed here in canada and cause appartantly they stopped functioning.. But who knows if those parts are still in canada Suspect

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Can I apply for the job of "the decider", so everyone's ethical, moral, and spiritual concerns can be looked after?"

you can apply, I dont have to accept your application though pirat

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

IC Guy- not sure what you are trying to say?

This lady had twins- and I would like to tell her Congratulations! For 40 years they had been trying to have kids!
This has nothing to do with any of us!
This was done by "God", according to the husband!
"God is Great", another proof that "HE" exists!!

http://www.elansofas.com

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:IC Guy- not sure what you are trying to say?

This lady had twins- and I would like to tell her Congratulations! For 40 years they had been trying to have kids!
This has nothing to do with any of us!
This was done by "God", according to the husband!
"God is Great", another proof that "HE" exists!!

What?!??!?!?

It was artificial insemination. It has nothing to do with God!

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Can I apply for the job of "the decider", so everyone's ethical, moral, and spiritual concerns can be looked after?

But where is the line? If health care for all is the rule of law, why can't I get laser eye surgery or any type of cosmetic surgery for free? These have to be done under the supervision of a medical doctor, so isn't that health care?

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

St Norberter wrote:
rosencrentz wrote:Can I apply for the job of "the decider", so everyone's ethical, moral, and spiritual concerns can be looked after?

But where is the line? If health care for all is the rule of law, why can't I get laser eye surgery or any type of cosmetic surgery for free? These have to be done under the supervision of a medical doctor, so isn't that health care?

I dont count new boobies some thing that should be covered by the health care system. But if Laser treatment could inprove your life (you are able to advance your career or even get a job) then yes. but if it is just because you do not want to wear your glasses anymore, then no...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

as sad as it is new boobies have definately been proven to work to get better jobs and advance careers

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:as sad as it is new boobies have definately been proven to work to get better jobs and advance careers

I would rather hire some one that wasn't blind. wait, that sounds as bad as hiring some cause they have bigger boobies...

Anonymous

This women is being selfish , the kid will be graduating with a 78 yr old mother maybe there. Hell she could die tommorow.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

IG Guy wrote:
Deank wrote:as sad as it is new boobies have definately been proven to work to get better jobs and advance careers

I would rather hire some one that wasn't blind. wait, that sounds as bad as hiring some cause they have bigger boobies...

LOL in my case I would have more chances if I hired the blind person

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

lol and here I am trying to be PC...

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Pavolo wrote:Hell she could die tommorow.
So could anyone!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

FlyingRat wrote:
Pavolo wrote:Hell she could die tommorow.
So could anyone!
that is not true at all.
Ronald Regan for instance.. he could not die tommorow...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum