the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Decrepit reserve housing blamed for fire that killed nine-year-old girl

+4
holly golightly
IG Guy
Deank
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Band chief Russell Beaulieu said yesterday that that legal action
against the federal government might be the only solution to the
situation.

The blame game. It seems whenever something goes wrong in this world someone else is blamed. When will responsibility and personal accountability be the determining factors?

In this case apparently a wood stove in a porch was the cause. Then there were more than a dozen people living in that house. Many questions come to mind.

Like why were 15 people living in one house?

Why was a wood stove being used on a porch?

Why aren't the existing houses well maintained?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Why was a wood stove being used on a porch?"
well.... I can answer that one.. Many of us rural people put the wood stove in the porch so that we dont have to carry the messy wood into the house. We then have fans blowing the heat from the porch into the house. Its really, really common. Especially chances are higher then the porch was an add on to the house and its easier to put the wood stove into the add on then it is to put it in the middle of the house. And in the middle of the house it takes up precious room and is a burning hazard.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

its all about the liablity... as long as you have some one else to blame, then you are fine... just dont be the last guy in the chain or you take all the shots. hehe

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Regardless of why the wood stove was where it was or the reasons for having it there, there is still the responsibility of looking after a dangerous piece of equipment. Most responsible people would have made sure that this wood burning stove was properly extinguished before going to bed for the night. We had a wood burning stove many years ago and my grandfather always made sure it was extinguished before bed so that this wouldn't happen. IG Guy said it right, as long as they can blame someone else, why bother being a responsible adult.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Are you kidding me? when you live in a house where the wood burning stove is the only source of heat you kind of get a little freakin cold if you put the fire out.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think of porches being "outdoors". Why would you heat a house from outdoors? Are you saying this is an "indoor" porch?

None-the-less, what about a wood burning stove is dangerous when unattended? Should not that element be carefully managed?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

there is nothing about a wood burning stove that is dangerous when unattended, if used properly.

Accidents happen

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

okay.. so what do you mean by porch and outdoors???? A porch is simply another room in the house. Often its an addition after the fact

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

I have seen wood stoves installed outside to heat boilers and such units. i found it wierd that some one would extinguish a fire all night. you must have expreinced many cold nights! the wood stove in my garage burns all winter. as long as you follow the basic guidelines like elevate the stove min. of 10 inches off the ground, have it atleas 12 inch out from the wall, keep cunbustalbes a safe distance away from or in a differant room altogether and make sure you have enough circulation for the amoung of heat coming of the wood stove then you should be good to go.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.. we used the 12inches behind our cookstove to store a couple of armloads of wood Smile

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Place a hard surface on the ground around your door and its a patio.
Raise it up, and its a deck.
Build rafters over it, and its a pergola.
Put a roof on it, and its a porch.
Screen it in, and its a gazebo.
Glass it in, and its a solarium.
Insulate it, and its an addition.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and.. all the safety precautions in the world can be around it... and accidents still happen. My cousins trailer burnt down becuase he was 7, got up Ukrainian Christmas morning very cold and tried to stoke the fire himself before starting to get ready for school. They were all only saved because my uncle jumped through the triple pane living room window ran around to the back and pulled them all out to safety.

Accidents Happen.

Anyone involved in this situation trying to blame the government or not involved in the situation, trying to blame the residents themselves really needs to give thier collective heads a shake.

Anonymous

Good Post!

It's one thing to look at a situation to prevent it from happening again, but quite another to blame anyone or anything at this time.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

And in preventing the situation from occurring again, it's going to take money. Where to get the money? Sue the government!

It's not about blame, its about getting what you need.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

There were ZERO instances of wood burning metal stoves in Canada causing house fires before the Europeans came here.

Anonymous

I think you're jumping to conclusions there a bit eh.

Stuff does happen.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yes accidents happen but they are preventable.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup... and freezing to death in a Manitoba winter is also preventable... usually by having a heat source nearby.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

holly golightly wrote:Regardless of why the wood stove was where it was or the reasons for having it there, there is still the responsibility of looking after a dangerous piece of equipment. Most responsible people would have made sure that this wood burning stove was properly extinguished before going to bed for the night. We had a wood burning stove many years ago and my grandfather always made sure it was extinguished before bed so that this wouldn't happen. IG Guy said it right, as long as they can blame someone else, why bother being a responsible adult.
So I will make my statement that until the full "story" has been provided as to whether this was their only source of heat or secondary source, and all other relative info I won't be making any judgements as to who is at "fault" for a preventable accident. I was just trying to make the point that there has to be some accountability to being an adult and taking responsibility for the actions that occur, regardless of whether it is an accident or not. At least that is what I was taught when I was raised, you are responsible for everything that you do regardless of whether it is right or wrong.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the freep article seems to alude to the fact it was primary heat source...sorry cant find the electronic link I just read the paper, just now

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

and suing the government will help prevent this from happening again in the future how?

Anonymous

Cause you will buy a electric furnace maybe . just a thought Smile

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Maybe the Chiefs should be held accountable...maybe we as taxpayers should demand to see where our tax dollars are going? I have a feeling alot of it is going to new trucks, and fancy trips.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pavolo wrote:Cause you will buy a electric furnace maybe . just a thought Smile

good thought except.. and where is the money coming from to pay for the electricity?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I wonder if we will get a report on what actually happened?
Although without the report, we on this forum certainly can speculate with no worry about what actually happened.
In Winnipeg in the last 6 weeks we have had 2 auto companies have monster fires in their service area. I wonder if the wood stove burnt them down??

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum