the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Judge slams police conduct

+3
grumpy old man
Mantha
Deank
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Judge slams police conduct Empty Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:01 am

Anonymous

Ouch!!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/judge-slams-police-conduct-136363858.html

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Deborah McCawley said Winnipeg police violated Toban Schreyer's right to remain silent when they put him through a four-hour interrogation hours after they say he allegedly set fire to a couch in a Walnut Street home owned by his parents. The fire destroyed the house.

During that interrogation, Toban Schreyer demonstrated tell-tale signs of psychotic episodes, but his comments -- one being that he got a match "off the computer" -- were not taken seriously by police and they pressed on with their questioning, using a tactic in which they offered to get him medical help, but only if he ignored his lawyer's instruction to remain silent.

"The very clear message was that the only way Mr. Schreyer was going to be able to get help was if the officers arranged it, thereby implying that control of his medical condition and access to help was in the hands of police," McCawley said.

Here we go again.

Patrol Sgt. Alexander Whelan and Det. Sgt. Derrick Todoruk will probably get promoted rather than fired.

2Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:17 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

HOLY CRAP! If that does not jump headlong right into the definition of torture, it certainly stands on the precipice looking in.

3Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

I knew Toban in University. A very different character, outrageous personality, but was a harmless guy. Knowing now that he was diagnosed mentally ill, his behaviour makes a bit more sense. I hope he gets the help he needs.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

4Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:14 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And still many in the police service and the police apologists wonder why the reputation of the various police forces is degrading.

5Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

I won't lie. I've been a police apologist in the past. And being acquainted with the person at the center of this story has further opened my eyes.

6Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets pretend for a moment that we dont know him AND he is faking his stuff.

The COPS supposedly said.. we will get you medical treatment if you stop listening to your lawyer and talk..

W T F?!?!?!?!?!?!

even if he is faking it...and the cops know he is faking it... How is that even legal?

7Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Agree.

8Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:14 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Sounds like a couple of these guys were watching a few too many A&E - Homicide specials.

Any admission after the "we will get you medical treatment if you stop listening to your lawyer" should be inadmissible in court, and will probably mean the case will be tossed. Don't need a lawyer to know that one!

These cops need some serious time spent reviewing the books, after a serious review of their competencies.

9Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

The problem is that these bad cops are the ones that make people mistrust the police. I know a large number of police officers that are stand up guys and are there to make this city a better place.

I am far from a police apologist, however I do respect what they do and know that there are some that will generally give the entire WPS a bad name. Just like the RCMP, a number of bad eggs in that force have created an environment that is making it hard for the good cops to do their job.

10Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The problem being that other cops..good or bad.. stand behind the bad cops.

11Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

If you were in that situation Dean, I think you might find yourself doing the same thing. The criminal cases involving cops, are usually the end result of the collective ousting the bad ones.

I understand the mentality of the brotherhood, for the most part each member looks out for the other guy. It is very easy to get caught up in that collective, easy to turn a blind eye to buddy who's done something wrong. Unfortunately sometimes the brotherhood needs to be shaken up and the ones that fail to meet the standard of the collective need to be removed.

Of course I am guessing here, my thought is that generally the "bad" cops are barely tolerated within the force, and when they f*ck up they are on their own. I would like to think that the majority of the force is there for the right reason.

12Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Anonymous

It's very easy to get caught up in lies and also to have power go to your head.

These bastards were breaking the law and they knew it.

Please try to justify what was done here.

Oh, and your argument that these are just bad apples doesn't cut it one iota. These charges were looked into by brass and therefore these actions were condoned.

If not, our police department is out of control and should be disbanded and we should start all over.

13Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:23 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

This wasn't the police departments fault! They were faced with the fact that a previous Manitoba Premiere and a previous Governor General told them that he would bring his mentally ill son into the precinct tomorrow!

Why would you believe a politician?

They knew a chain smoker couldn't withstand a long interview without incriminating himself!

At least the Police managed to make life hell for Ed Schreyer.

What about others who don't know any better and don't have the guidance of one of Manitoba's most respected elder statesmen!

http://www.elansofas.com

14Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous

You and his son may share something in common.

15Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:46 am

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Disband the police force... That's a good one. And what would you put in it's place while we find a new police service? The RCMP?

Again you paint the entire force with a broad brush. Obviously you've never had a positive experience with the police. Whereas I have never had a negative one. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe you're unlucky. But I don't think that the police force is out of control...

16Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:17 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:You and his son may share something in common.
I believe many of us share something in common with his son...

17Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Stonekiller wrote:Disband the police force... That's a good one. And what would you put in it's place while we find a new police service? The RCMP?

Again you paint the entire force with a broad brush. Obviously you've never had a positive experience with the police. Whereas I have never had a negative one. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe you're unlucky. But I don't think that the police force is out of control...

I agree with this too. I've never had a bad experience with the police. And I'm a North End resident! lol!

18Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Anonymous

Mantha wrote:
Stonekiller wrote:Disband the police force... That's a good one. And what would you put in it's place while we find a new police service? The RCMP?

I agree with this too. I've never had a bad experience with the police. And I'm a North End resident! lol!

So you've never had a bad experience eh....and this means that the cops are fine and good???

Good luck with that.

19Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

No it means that I haven't had a negative experience with the police. Therefore I have a hard time relating to why you feel that disbanding the entire force is a positive solution to the problems that do exist.

I know enough cops, to make a very well educated guess that the large majority of WPS officers aren't the problem.

Of course nothing anyone says is going to change your opinion so whatever.

20Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

no bad experiences doesn't mean that the cops are 'fine and good'. But it informs me that not all police are bad.

21Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:02 am

Anonymous

By 'disbanding', I mean re-doing completely in any event. (I do believe we need a 'police department'.)

22Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:19 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

While I agree that we should not paint them all with the same brush, it is becoming increasingly difficult to have respect for WPS with the continued coverage of wrong doings, their lack of presence in areas that need an increased presence and the high visibility of the bac choices that they continue to make. Considering that the organization exists to uphold the laws of society, they, as an organization, are not presenting themselves well. Whenever an opinion is needed on some apect of policing, it seems to come from the union rather than the legitimate leadership and therein, I believe, is the problem.

Get rid of the bad apples. I still am disgusted at the testimony given at the Taman enquiry where one after another, members of the WPS testified with convenient memory lapses, and evasive answers about their conduct and that of others on the evening leading up to the fatal collision. These are the same people who have crystal clear recollection of every detail when testifying against anyone else. Keep in mind that it was a Sgt in the service who's house in East St Paul where they all ended up, and while he had the presence of mind to call his insurance company with concern about his personal liability after learning of the death of Crystal Taman, didn't have the moral courage to set the record straight. In my world, leaders are expected to lead by example, and with this type of leadership, who can expect anything more from the rank and file.

23Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:32 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No one , or group is perfect! The papers do not give a proportional representation of the 99.9% of the "good police" responses.

I would love to see in print an interview of the police that were involved , and find out what were they thinking!

3 years of hell and what cost to the Schreyers?

I had a very bad run in many, many years ago with an abusive Revenue Canada employee, who had absolutely no sense of humour! lol

It took a long time to solve. I had made a very bad error (before I had available "free", legal consultations) in not inviting him in to look at everything, (my old books), and as a result I was looking at 9 very serious charges!

http://www.elansofas.com

24Judge slams police conduct Empty Re: Judge slams police conduct Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:37 am

Anonymous

The Taman incidents clearly demonstrate that there is a serious lack of integrity within the police here in River City.

"Police corruption is the lack of police integrity. It also constitutes one of the most significant obstacles to positive police-public relations in today’s society." (http://205.193.86.86/pubs/ccaps-spcca/corrup-rev-eng.htm)

The corruption within the Winnipeg police goes all the way to the top...by definition. Sad but true imo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum