the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Umm...Rapid Transit (Would it be a Winnipeg forum without this thread?)

+19
eViL tRoLl
umcrouc0
Outsider
rosencrentz
jimj_wpg
holly golightly
Freeman
JT Estoban
IG Guy
AGEsAces
EdWin
Electrician
grumpy old man
egomaniac
FlyingRat
Deank
nickelback
LivingDead
Ex-Pat-Pegger
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 15]

AGEsAces

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

which is just stupid as anyting... hello!!! go for the non hybrid bus of the samre ariculatedness. Running one bus that carryies more people at a time is far more effecient then smaller buses more often.
Sure hybrid tech would be nice, but is not the be all and end all.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It is my understanding rosen was the first wagon driver and J2F hired him.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

it was my understanding that they actually started when they used boats pushed with long polls to cross lake Aggasiz

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

wooeee... 1894 and gets $175K for a business....thats some sweet money.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:it was my understanding that they actually started when they used boats pushed with long Poles to cross lake Agassiz

Heh, you remember seeing them too, huh?

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Anonymous

I would love to see at least 2 LRT lines built in Winnipeg. If we can get the funding needed to do this by the 3 levels of Government is another story though. I would favor an LRT that possibly links the Airport to Transcona, and another that would link the U of M with Downtown, possibly even eventually be expanded to run to RRC. I know there was talk of relocating the rail yards that border the North End with Weston, and dissect Point Douglas, but this idea seems to have fizzled as far as I know..

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I saw that thing this week also. I assumed it was Flyer giving her a test run. I also assumed the trailer was a generator used to power the bus as it was an electric trolley.

Only in Winnipeg.

BTW, Edmonton is getting rid of their trolleybuses.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What is "only in Winnipeg"? A bus manufacturer testing their buses on city streets in harsh winter conditions? Quite possibly. There are not many bus manufacturers in Canada so it is possible you will see that only in Winnipeg.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

jimj_wpg wrote:.
BTW, Edmonton is getting rid of their trolleybuses.

Yes. The city voted to remove all trolleybuses and their associated infrastructure by sometime in 2010. However, trolleybuses only consist of a bus and electric pole. They essentially are only buses and nothing more.

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

jimj_wpg

jimj_wpg
contributor
contributor

Professor Leo has just raised some valid issues regarding the proposed Morley Station:

http://blog.uwinnipeg.ca/ChristopherLeo/archives/2009/02/whats_your_pref.html#more

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Can't speak for Florida planners but Winnipeg planners and traffic managers are magicians. They never make mistakes. Not sure how one disastrous rapid transit disaster in one jurisdiction applies in Winnipeg... Very Happy

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

For my 1st post on this useless, money wasting plan!
Winnipeg does not need this ! What is the plan costing to run from the Bay to the U of manitoba? $57,000,000? or $185,000,000? And that would save 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Bull sh1t I say! And how many people use that route every day? I did not catch the number? It would be cheaper, and more comfortable to send those people in taxis!
If you caught the CBC's documentary called "living city", there was one person who has lived in Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary Toronto , Montreal, and Winnipeg, and that person rates Montreal and Winnipeg as having the best bus system! So we are the best, and therefore do not need to spend 2 trillion dollars on those that take the bus.
No one takes the bus, except those that cannot afford parking costs, and those that have a lot of common sense!

http://www.elansofas.com

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:For my 1st post on this useless, money wasting plan!
Winnipeg does not need this ! What is the plan costing to run from the Bay to the U of manitoba? $57,000,000? or $185,000,000? And that would save 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Bull sh1t I say! And how many people use that route every day? I did not catch the number? It would be cheaper, and more comfortable to send those people in taxis!
If you caught the CBC's documentary called "living city", there was one person who has lived in Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary Toronto , Montreal, and Winnipeg, and that person rates Montreal and Winnipeg as having the best bus system! So we are the best, and therefore do not need to spend 2 trillion dollars on those that take the bus.
No one takes the bus, except those that cannot afford parking costs, and those that have a lot of common sense!

Thank goodness the younger generation doesn't think this old fashioned Laughing

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

BRT is no good.

But my question is if rapid transit options like LRT are so horrible and a waste of money, then why are such a large amount of cities implementing these systems, or have already implemented them? And then why are smaller cities like Victoria, Spokane and Kitchener-Waterloo planning to add them to their cities?

Something doesn't jive with the whole "LRT is evil and a waste of money" bs statements that are thrown at Winnipeggers. It sounds like a typical nay-saying Winnipeg scare tactic to discourage change and improvement for the long-term future.

Anonymous

Well young fella', it has been reported what the costs will run; where the line would go; and how much time would be saved.

That few minutes saved by so few people will cost too much money for what it's worth....at least that's what some old folks think. Smile

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Well young fella', it has been reported what the costs will run; where the line would go; and how much time would be saved.

That few minutes saved by so few people will cost too much money for what it's worth....at least that's what some old folks think. Smile

I think these studies are a complete crock of sh1t, because said studies would have found very similar results for Victoria, Spokane and Kitchener-Waterloo, much smaller cities than Winnipeg, and obviously they didn't as an LRT system was found to be economically feasible and plans to proceed with the project are being created. How can this be so much more of a waste in a larger city than in these smaller cities.

Again, something doesn't jive.

Anonymous

Ahhh. The times would not be the same in other cities kid. That's the big dif.

In rush hour here, you can get across town in 45 minutes at worst!. In some places, you can't get out of the downtown in that time.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Ahhh. The times would not be the same in other cities kid. That's the big dif.

In rush hour here, you can get across town in 45 minutes at worst!. In some places, you can't get out of the downtown in that time.

No, I've been to Victoria and Spokane, and sorry to say, their rush hours are no different, and actually I would say even less congested, than Winnipeg. Never been to K-W, so I can't comment there.

No, it has to do with being cheap and an improper planning strategy for transit for the LONG TERM. That, my dear WS counterpart JTF, is the real deal issue.

Anonymous

Naw. It's that they don't have a clue and we do. We do slurpees here and not kool-aid.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I still say, fit a LRT system into the existing rail lines. The commuters will adjust to the new routes and will cost alot less than starting from scratch and zig-zagging through trafficked streets...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Electrician wrote:I still say, fit a LRT system into the existing rail lines. The commuters will adjust to the new routes and will cost alot less than starting from scratch and zig-zagging through trafficked streets...

Don't believe those garbage studies; they are biased and only say what politicians want the general public to hear. LRT is a viable transit option and can be done. This isn't Dauphin. Winnipeg is a major city, and needs to start acting like one. And implementing a proper rapid transit system is a good place to start.

Last edited by EdWin on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Naw. It's that they don't have a clue and we do. We do slurpees here and not kool-aid.

Why does it have to be that way? We need to put aside the self-depreciating mocking attitude we have towards Winnipeg, start getting some true pride in our city, and moving forward into the future.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Difficult to compare other cities as other factors come into play. Surrounding municipalities for example may lead some to believe the city is smaller. Southern Ontario and West Ontario are hugely congested areas.

The Waterloo region (Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge) is about 500k As is metro Spokane.

Progressive cities will have a greater vision and better planning. That planning should include rapid transit. Smarter folk would have put such a plan in place in earlier times and would well have driven development much differently than Winnipeg has been.

But Winnipeg will continue to grow. If ever we get a smart provincial and municipal plan it could still help future generations. If the "old folk" 20 and 40 years ago could not grasp the notion of future planning maybe us current generation old folks better.

Maybe an RT will only save 5 minutes today. What might the presence of such a system do for our young folk today, tomorrow and years down the line?

I think I know now why nothing ever gets done. We won't think about the future.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Naw. It's that they don't have a clue and we do. We do slurpees here and not kool-aid.
You're dead wrong. We have not one fricken clue. Trouble is jimmy maybe we've been drinking YOUR cool-aid far too long.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum