the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

I solved Rapid Transit

+8
AGEsAces
Electrician
grumpy old man
TheMan
Sourpuss
RogerStrong
Deank
freepressreader
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1I solved Rapid Transit Empty I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 am

freepressreader

freepressreader
contributor
contributor

Let's build a subway.

2I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

snicker.

There is a website devoted to that already Smile

3I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am

freepressreader

freepressreader
contributor
contributor

that sucks... it's hanging on to a really old plan.

i mean a new study for today's winnipeg.

wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run?

4I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:42 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

underground tunnelling costs a fair bit and as we seen with the new MB Hydro building there are natural obstacles to digging to deep.

While I would love to have a subway in Winnipeg, its just not that feasible

5I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 am

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

For the original Bloor line in Toronto in the 1950s, they had to expropriate more than 80 properties. Imagine doing that at today's costs in downtown Winnipeg.

And that's with the Bloor line being in a nice straight line. A line through downtown Winnipeg would likely have a few turns, say from Main Street to Portage Avenue. Trains don't turn on a dime, so you'll be expropriating a bunch of properties at the turn. And some of the older buildings downtown have basements and sub-basements that extend out under the street.

6I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Underground tunnelling is a supreme pain in the ass, and costs more than at-grade or elevated guideways. Ask Vancouver, who spent several years prior to the Olympics, tunnelling between D/T core and Cambie Street. Was also a death knell for businesses located on the route, who lost patronage during the construction process.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

7I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:48 pm

freepressreader

freepressreader
contributor
contributor

stop raining on my subway parade.

either rapid transit system is a pain and expensive.

a subway that takes a long time to build is still better then an at grade system that is built faster.

8I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:51 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

dont build at grade. build on the median lanes above grade

9I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 pm

TheMan

TheMan

Look what the floodway expansion, HRM and the airport contruction is doing for our economy? We could employ 1000's of skilled workers for a decade! And get a subway too.

I like this idea. Becuase it would inginte our economy HUGE. And the rest of Canada can pay for it.

10I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:04 pm

freepressreader

freepressreader
contributor
contributor

that's extremely dangerous.... lrt and cars don't mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4JYc

11I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

freepressreader wrote:that's extremely dangerous.... lrt and cars don't mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4JYc

above grade....not at grade... ie... monorail type thing

12I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Any historical/decommissioned rail lines through the city that could be reclaimed for LRT?

13I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hehehehehe....

WELLLLLLLL

the CITY got first crack at them in 2006... said no to some of them... yes to others.

Was going to go after all of them, but a certain mayor killed that idea when he came into power.

14I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:19 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

We've even lost some of the old railway right-of-ways... Apparently there are no lots available for new condos in River Heights.

15I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

What a pain...
Use the railway lines for LRT.
Why do you think it's called LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT?
You don't need the heavy infrastructure to build LRT lines, just common sense doing the project and getting the population ready to use it by adapting the bus lines to coincide with the LRT routes.
Have some express bus routes become permanent during the daytime, not only during rush hour.
Start the first route in East Kildonan, where there's plenty of room for construction.
Make a survey asking people where they'd travel most, for work, leisure, school, whatever.
Study the entire railway grid in Winnipeg.
Check for the possibility to build a inner perimeter LRT. I know there's already a few stupid bus routes that go in and out of backlanes on the outskirts, and they take forever to do just one trip...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

16I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:59 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Look...it's IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of all bus lines...it's just not reasonable, cost effective, or even possible physically.

But...MAJOR routes, and MAJOR lines...which can be determined pretty easily based upon current bus & traffic volumes entering the city, can be converted to an elevated LRT which will alleviate traffic, reduce bus demands (or allow those buses to move to other routes), and NOT require major demands of expropriation or even land claims.

The beauty of elevated rail, is that it can run basically anywhere, and only requires major land area at stations...which should be located at high-volume and convenient stops around Winnipeg. Some of these could be a few downtown locations, a few perimeter stations, one at each University, one at RRC, one at the Airport, maybe a few others strategically located...but they DON'T have to be every few blocks like the buses run.

The idea is to get people OUT of their vehicles, and willing to take a transit option to get IN the city quickly, and then get them close enough to work/downtown so they can either walk the rest of the way, or take another transit option to their destination.

Heck...designed correctly, the rail cars could even have bicycle locks on the floors so when someone gets off they could ride their bike the rest of the way. Or have bicycle locking stations at each platform, they can store their bike there overnight.

And it doesn't have to ALL be built overnight. We're talking a 20-year plan here...not a "bid and build" for next year. Look at "Duff's Ditch"...how long did that take to build? How many people argue that it was bad for the city?

http://www.photage.ca

17I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

duffs ditch to 6 years to complete once started.

18I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:13 pm

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

OK, so here's the plan. It solves our transit woes. It gives us more parkland. It generates more revenue for the city, without raising taxes. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Step 1: Expand the Winnipeg Floodway. Done.

Step 2: Redirect the entire Red River through the Winnipeg floodway. Do the same with the Seine. Redirect the Assiniboine River up the Portage Diversion. This will leave the city with lots of valuable new land, with a scenic little creek - from any creeks that emptied into the Assiniboine River east of the Portage Diversion.

Step 3: Create rapid mass transit routes north, south, west, and southeast from downtown, along the newly reclaimed land. Bicycle paths too. The routes will meander a bit, but that'll allow them to cover more of the city. The main roads will already have bridges over the new routes, so a BRT or LRT - and bicycle paths - are kept separate from automobile traffic.

Step 4: Create parks along residential areas. Where needed, create water retention ponds to prevent flooding in rainstorms. Homes that had high taxes for being riverfront property will instead have high taxes for being beside parks, ponds and decent transit routes.

Step 5: Create a green space at The Forks. There *was* a green space at The Forks for a few years - it's been paved over in recent years. Maybe this one will stay.

Step 6: Sell the remaining land for commercial use. We'll get a lot of money for it when we sell it, especially downtown. We'll get continuing revenue when we tax it.

Step 7: Allow development along the floodway/river diversion. Plant lots of trees. It's now river-front property; it's valuable. Again, we'll get a lot of money for it when we sell it and continuing revenue when we tax it.

Step 8: Allow the riverboats to cruise the floodway/river diversion. Or, they can be kept in place downtown when the river is drained, and turned in semi-classy restaurants.

Step 9: Stop spending a fortune on new bridges.

Step 10: Have the person who wrote this locked up for his own good.

19I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:18 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:duffs ditch to 6 years to complete once started.

Thanks for that info (didn't feel like looking it up)

But in 6-years there could EASILY be 1/2 a dozen stations and say 50km of rail erected. And it can be expanded over the next 10-15 years as required/demand comes forward.

Instead of people searching for things about Winnipeg and finding information about crime, potholes and mosquitoes, they should be hearing about the expansion and growth, and FORWARD-thinking of the legislation at trying to make Winnipeg a GO-TO place.

But it could also offset costs for building/expansion by making new business which may want a station nearby, to help pay for the building of that station...like IKEA coming...is helping with costs of infrastructure...they could pay to have a station in that area, or the business park nearby could do the same.

http://www.photage.ca

20I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:53 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
Instead of people searching for things about Winnipeg and finding information about crime, potholes and mosquitoes, they should be hearing about the expansion and growth, and FORWARD-thinking of the legislation at trying to make Winnipeg a GO-TO place.

Fully agreed. However, if you want out-of-towners to start thinking differently of the city, the change must come from within Winnipeggers first and foremost, because if they don't believe in their city and see it in a progressive light, then no one will.

There is still very strong mentality with Winnipeggers of the lines of "we are too small, too poor, not good/strong enough, blah blah blah, etc." that really holds the city back from developing into a true, larger city. For years, IMO, civic and provincial politicians have been brainwashing Winnipeggers with this nonsense, and somehow too many of them fell for it. So several generations grew up with this notion and had relatively low expectations for the city, which is why you have the city you have today and have so many people with such a cynical and self-loathing humorous attitude towards the city (this thread is an example of that attitude). I know of no other city that has such low expectations of itself, and it's quite frustrating to deal with. When people start to see the true potential the city has, then things with change. Otherwise, the below-par status quo will continue to dominate.

21I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

EdWin wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:

Fully agreed. However, if you want out-of-towners to start thinking differently of the city, the change must come from within Winnipeggers first and foremost, because if they don't believe in their city and see it in a progressive light, then no one will.

There is still very strong mentality with Winnipeggers of the lines of "we are too small, too poor, not good/strong enough, blah blah blah, etc." that really holds the city back from developing into a true, larger city. For years, IMO, civic and provincial politicians have been brainwashing Winnipeggers with this nonsense, and somehow too many of them fell for it. So several generations grew up with this notion and had relatively low expectations for the city, which is why you have the city you have today and have so many people with such a cynical and self-loathing humorous attitude towards the city (this thread is an example of that attitude). I know of no other city that has such low expectations of itself, and it's quite frustrating to deal with. When people start to see the true potential the city has, then things with change. Otherwise, the below-par status quo will continue to dominate.

Amen.

You're bang on. After we agreed to move to Winnipeg in the spring, a large amount of the negativity we faced about the move to Winnipeg was from Winnipeggers themselves. Idiots from BC/ON come up with the same crap over and over again "Winnipeg? Who moves there? It's freezing cold and has giant mosquitos." They don't have any other information, input or information. That's all they cough up. Winnipegers, however come up with the most self defeating, brow beating, horrible reasons why Winnipeg sucks.

22I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but its only ever other year that its freezing cold and giant skeeters at the same time so its all good

23I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:44 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:but its only ever other year that its freezing cold and giant skeeters at the same time so its all good

But do you think that if this is what Winnipeg is mostly known for, and nothing more, that this is a good thing and are the only things that the city has to offer? Is that what you want to have this city mostly known for? I'm asking people like YOU because you are a citizen of that city, and I'm wondering what you want YOUR city to be known for. Is this YOUR highest expectation of the city?

24I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I have absolutely no problem having people know that we are the MOST awesome winter city on the planet and that our summers make us the most awesome festival city on the planet

But we need more. The HRM aint gonna cut it. We need to capitalize on our artists, we have some of the worlds best here. We need to make our exchange/ downtown into an entertainment disctrict. Not just meaning the stuff like bars open longer hours, but gallery after gallery of painting, sculpting, solo singers, bands, poetry areas, ALL connected in someway so that you could spend hours or DAYS wandering around and not see everything. We have the people, we have the area, we just need to make it happen.

25I solved Rapid Transit Empty Re: I solved Rapid Transit Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

While I realize that not everything in Winnipeg is going to be sunshine, sparkles and unicorn farts, I'm enchanted with so many great things that the city has to offer.
It is overflowing with culture, a thriving arts community, great cuisine, history every way you turn and friendly people. Vancouver might be a pretty city with a decent climate, but the people are a$$holes, the culture is nil, it's boring if you're not rich, and it doesn't cherish history at all. I'm looking forward to being a cheerleader for Winnipeg, not a detractor. If more of the home-grown folks were, the reputation would be a little bit more positive.

That said, I know a good many arts/t.v/journalism people here in BC that are starting to migrate to Winnipeg because the secret is out: Winnipeg fosters incredible talent, has a decent cost of living, and is a very scalable place. There are three other families that I'm knit in with out here that are considering making the mecca in the next year or so.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum