the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

why do you need money to run a free site?

+4
LivingDead
grumpy old man
Freeman
nickelback
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

nickelback

the contributions button says this:

If you wish, you can support this forum by donating.
Your donations will support the quality of this forum.

Your administrator, gom

With your contribution for kwdc.forumotion.com, you accept to credit points to the account of this forum and you allow its administrator to use them as he wish.

first of all why do you need money to run a free site. do we get some of this money for contributing to this site? second of all what are these points you get if you give money?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Hey NB, I'll solve your problem. Don't give anything!

nickelback

seems weird youre asking for money to run a free site.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It is indeed a free site. I'm not asking for money. It has been offered, by more than one member, who are interested in developing this place. As Freethinker says don't want to donate? Don't. I won't lose a moments sleep over it.

nickelback

ok but what does this mean?

you accept to credit points to the account of this forum and you allow its administrator to use them as he wish.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

nickelback wrote:ok but what does this mean?

you accept to credit points to the account of this forum and you allow its administrator to use them as he wish.
Money makes the world go round. If I had to guess, the place that offers this free forum also has upgrades for it for a nominal fee. By allowing people to donate money to it, they let the Admin pick and choose what upgrades/services he/she would like.

What do you think? does this sound plausible?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

nickelback

we should vote on what upgrades/services we want.

KellyH

KellyH

LivingDead, I don't see why the administrator should have the sole privilege of choosing what they want.

If people are going to donate money they should have a say.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is like a stock/shareholder scenario.

nickelback

YEAH!!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Where has it been suggested that anyone has exclusive domain over what is implemented? Please read all the posts on this subject. You just might get surprised. There are threads advising members to ask for improvements to the site. Why not go have a read through those and other related posts here.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

KellyH

KellyH

I'm sorry, I want to add something.

I would gladly donate money. However, I would want this forum to be a bit more inviting to do so.

I feel out of place and afraid of stepping on toes, with the amount of talking about whatever this other forum is. A lot of people here don't seem to trust others, or have much faith in each other.

If the general environment were to be more welcoming and inclusive, and we had a say in what upgrades were done, I would GLADLY donate money.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

KellyH wrote:LivingDead, I don't see why the administrator should have the sole privilege of choosing what they want.

Kelly, Nickleback.

I was just guessing. I don't know what it is for, I just made an educated guess based on MMORPG games that I have played. They provide the base game free but offer premiums for a small fee. I think that is the way the people who run the hosting company, for this forum, do it.

KellyH

KellyH

grumpy old man wrote:Where has it been suggested that anyone has exclusive domain over what is implemented? Please read all the posts on this subject. You just might get surprised. There are threads advising members to ask for improvements to the site. Why not go have a read through those and other related posts here.

I gathered from the quote from the contribution button that the original poster stated

"With your contribution for kwdc.forumotion.com, you accept to credit points to the account of this forum and you allow its administrator to use them as he wish."

I would like to read whatever else has been said on the topic, unfortunately these posts on this thread are all I can find. Threads are all over the place....

Also, with all respect Grumpy Old Man, but as the administrator who is accepting of all money donated, If I have a question, don't I have a right for it to be answered without simply being told to look elsewhere?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

KellyH wrote:I'm sorry, I want to add something.

I would gladly donate money. However, I would want this forum to be a bit more inviting to do so.

I feel out of place and afraid of stepping on toes, with the amount of talking about whatever this other forum is. A lot of people here don't seem to trust others, or have much faith in each other.

If the general environment were to be more welcoming and inclusive, and we had a say in what upgrades were done, I would GLADLY donate money.

Not sure what you are talking about. Read some threads. Feel free to participate and contribute. As for trust and faith...this is the internet, we are here to debate and discuss topics relevant to Winnipeg...not form lifetime bonds. If some on here want to get to know each other outside this forum then great.

nickelback

grumpy old man wrote:Where has it been suggested that anyone has exclusive domain over what is implemented?
uhh on NW. thats why we came here to run the forums like a democracy. i just want a vote and i will totally give a dollar . Smile

KellyH

KellyH

LivingDead wrote:
KellyH wrote:LivingDead, I don't see why the administrator should have the sole privilege of choosing what they want.

Kelly, Nickleback.

I was just guessing. I don't know what it is for, I just made an educated guess based on MMORPG games that I have played. They provide the base game free but offer premiums for a small fee. I think that is the way the people who run the hosting company, for this forum, do it.

Ok, thank you for your response Smile

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

KellyH wrote:
LivingDead wrote:

Kelly, Nickleback.

Ok, thank you for your response Smile
If you are interested in doing more, send GoM a PM and have a chat with him. Maybe we all can make this place the best darn forum in North America.

KellyH

KellyH

Goth_chic wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about. Read some threads. Feel free to participate and contribute. As for trust and faith...this is the internet, we are here to debate and discuss topics relevant to Winnipeg...not form lifetime bonds. If some on here want to get to know each other outside this forum then great.

I wasn't really referring to anything outside of the forum.

It just seems that some people here think other people are not who they say they are, and that is a bit distressing.

That was really all I was getting at...sometimes this board doesn't seem the most friendly.

After seeing what some people have to say about others, I NEVER want to get on anyone's bad side here! I just feel like I have to speak my mind.

I really appreciate your response. Smile

nickelback

just so you know i dont want to be a moderator i just want to be part of a forum that doesnt ban people and delete posts.

nickelback

oops i did join the moderators. thats cool.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

KellyH wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:

I wasn't really referring to anything outside of the forum.

It just seems that some people here think other people are not who they say they are, and that is a bit distressing.

That was really all I was getting at...sometimes this board doesn't seem the most friendly.

After seeing what some people have to say about others, I NEVER want to get on anyone's bad side here! I just feel like I have to speak my mind.

I really appreciate your response. Smile
I feel bad we have given you such an uneasy feeling. It is not our intention. Even if you and I never agree or you hate me what ever, I will never ever be unfair.

KellyH

KellyH

LivingDead, I don't expect this forum to be a utopia. No one does. As so many people have said, it should be a platform for debate and discussion.

I just think that whoever those people are who have caused grief - who cares. There are enough people here to forget about them.

Ok, I'm done now. Smile

So what exactly are the parameters with donating money? I don't know what other threads Grumpy Old Man was referring to, this is the only one I can find...

I still have a few questions, like what exactly is it for, who decides how to use it, and what does a donation allow the people who donate, etc.

Is there a thread that addresses all this?

paper

paper

I agree Kelly, let it go people. You hate NW. We get it.

http://www.stoplying.ca/

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

paper wrote:I agree Kelly, let it go people. You hate NW. We get it.

Hmmmm you sound familiar. Who said Hate...besides you? Does that sound familiar?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sheesh... a couple people suggested that we get out own domain name so that it was easier to reference...
Someone suggested $20 for domain name registration... given that I am one of the people who suggested our own domain name.. I said I would put out $20..
Also someone else suggested we get our own host. That costs money. other people said they would give money for that.
As to the contribution button at the bottom.. its a standardish feature...grow up, get out in the world, learn some things... one of them.. being how to read and follow multiple conversations at the same time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum