the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wii or xBox or ???

+11
EdWin
rosencrentz
AGEsAces
Electrician
LivingDead
Goth_chic
holly golightly
SMW
grumpyrom
Deank
grumpy old man
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:34 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

I've heard that before... I too do not believe that a coach must have actually played the game to be a uber-successful coach. It is an old wives tail in my view.

If one truly understands the nuances of the game; understands how the players think; how the opposition plays... Those peeps can be very successful. I believe to think otherwise is a little uppity, snobbish...

Chill peeps. It sounds like you're both good parents. This pissing contest you have sounds like each of you feel you're the bestest parent of all times.

You just go about it in your own way and you've been successful. Hmmm. Did either of you have children before? No. And yet you succeeded. Heh heh.

==============================================

off topic Now get back on topic or start a new thread...

Last edited by grumpy old man on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed grammar and punctuation...)

27Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:57 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Nintento, circa 1988. Its the only gaming system I've ever had.

28Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:06 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Actually, me too. Mario Brothers was a marvelous time killer. I spent HOURS working my way through the levels. And, btw, no blood, car accidents, shootings, prostitutes...

29Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:20 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Wow, I never realised that the be all and end all to good parenting is getting your children involved in sports "at the highest level". I must have missed that in parenting 101. Looks like I've failed miserably as a parent, and "coach" lol.

I think Dean is way more on the right page with this one than Holly. No offense Holly but you seem to put way to much importance on team sports involvement. What about kids who have no interest in these activities, but prefer reading, arts, drama, music etc.? Should they be forced into sports because it's the only way to be a "good" parent? What if team sports makes them miserable?

I echo Dean's sentiments that the key to good parenting is being there for your kids, and supporting them no matter what it is that they CHOOSE to want to be involved in. Spending time doing activities that your kids actually want to be involved in, and having fun with them on a daily basis is much more important than making sure your kids compete.

My daughter loves riding her bike, swimming, kicking around a ball with dad etc., but isn't much for team sports. She tends to love reading, watching her favorite movies, and playing on her Wii with mom and dad. I don't think it makes me a bad parent that I don't force her to do something physical every day, nor does it make me a bad parent because I let her play on the Wii after supper if her homework and chores are done.

You seem to be placing too much importance on sports being the most important part of a child's life. I'd rather have a straight A student with no athletic ability, than a varsity all-star who can barely read.

30Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:Wow, I never realised that the be all and end all to good parenting is getting your children involved in sports "at the highest level". I must have missed that in parenting 101. Looks like I've failed miserably as a parent, and "coach" lol.

I think Dean is way more on the right page with this one than Holly. No offense Holly but you seem to put way to much importance on team sports involvement. What about kids who have no interest in these activities, but prefer reading, arts, drama, music etc.? Should they be forced into sports because it's the only way to be a "good" parent? What if team sports makes them miserable?

I echo Dean's sentiments that the key to good parenting is being there for your kids, and supporting them no matter what it is that they CHOOSE to want to be involved in. Spending time doing activities that your kids actually want to be involved in, and having fun with them on a daily basis is much more important than making sure your kids compete.

My daughter loves riding her bike, swimming, kicking around a ball with dad etc., but isn't much for team sports. She tends to love reading, watching her favorite movies, and playing on her Wii with mom and dad. I don't think it makes me a bad parent that I don't force her to do something physical every day, nor does it make me a bad parent because I let her play on the Wii after supper if her homework and chores are done.

You seem to be placing too much importance on sports being the most important part of a child's life. I'd rather have a straight A student with no athletic ability, than a varsity all-star who can barely read.
Thankful People: Electrician

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

31Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ewww... thats a newwinnipeg.com reference...

32Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Wow, you folks are really reading and twisting..............
I have never said that to be a good parent your children need to be involved in organized sports at any level, be it rec or pro. My original point was to have GOM think about why and who he was buying a video game for and to make a good choice if it was for a child under 16 and maybe the choice to pay for a sport activity was a more appropriate choice. I choose to put hockey or soccer as an example as that are the sports that 2 of my 3 kids are involved in (notice I said 2 of 3) I do advocate daily physical activity, over and above the pitance they receive at school so if it means swimming, bike riding, running, playing tennis or another single activity great. If that child does not like organized sports fine as long as daily physical activity is being had. I have also never said that playing a video game is wrong either, just a choice that needs to be made wisely and by allowing your child to play after the homework and chores are done then yes you are doing a good job as a parent. And you know what, it is possible to have a straight A student who happens to be the captain of the "insert team or individual sport here" team.
And as an aside my third child hates sports, actually despises it but she knows that to be a healthy person she must participate in physical activity on a daily basis so she goes to the gym and rides the exercise bike and swims. So please do your best, I have done mine and we should all be able to raise happy, healthy productive children.

Happy Holidays to all.

33Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

holly I think you might still be missing my point. What I am saying is that ANY coach (not just me) does not actually have to play the game to be a great coach respected by his players. As long as he can actually relate to them.. and they to him thats what counts. Actually playing the game in your spare time is secondary.

Take track and field for instance. I see many different clubs at the U of M when my kid is there. I see some of the coaches who are coaching as well as "playing" themselves.... and I see other coaches who have devoted themselves to the kids and only focus on ensuring the kids are having fun, learning and trying hard.

Which kids are performing better at the track meets?

34Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:umm wait.. I cant let them watch Family guy now???

NOBODY SHOULD EVER WATCH FAMILY GUY!!!

http://www.photage.ca

35Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

What's funny, is how the threads turn...because, unless I'm misunderstanding something...I think GOM is buying a game system for...GOM Very Happy.

So it's kind of a mute point...because I doubt he's going to go out and join a hockey team to get some exercise Smile

By the way GOM...if you were a Mario fan...then get the Wii...they have all the Mario games, and you can relive the old days Wink.

36Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty How the thread turns... Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You guessed correctly Grasshopper. But I've been convinced PS3 is the way to go.

Now, what accessories are a MUST???

Oh, please leave the parenting lessons outta this discussion. My kids are all four-legged and I have raised them just fine thanks. Very Happy

By the way the correct expression is "the point is MOOT". Unless of course you were hoping to silence us all by muting us?

37Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:51 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:By the way the correct expression is "the point is MOOT". Unless of course you were hoping to silence us all by muting us?

Sometimes the old are soooo wise Smile.

For a PS3...accessories really come down to what games you plan on playing...and whether you're going to be playing with yourself, or with someone.

I will say, if you're going to get shooting games...get a gun (PS3 version...don't go shooting your screen with a 30/30).

And...if you're going to play online...get a headset. Makes the game sooo much more fun when you can talk to others.

38Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:03 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

get at least one more controller for cool friends like Deank that you invite over for some gamin action.

Also .. might as well get the remote so you can take proper advantage of the blue ray,,

any buy me a kick ass TV for better use of the blueray

39Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:06 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Got the kick ass TV already. Plus Bose 3-2-1 DVD/CD sound. Toys for boys eh?

40Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:07 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I guess.. but to proove you are not lieing... party at GOMs house?

41Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:11 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't much care if anyone thinks I am lieing. Laughing But sure, let's party dude.

42Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Is there a McDonalds near your place GOM?
Dean can't wander off more than 500 metres from the nearest McDonalds... Cool

43Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There is a McDonalds near everybody's place...

44Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There are 3 McDonalds close to my house...YIKES!

45Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:37 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Goth_chic wrote:There are 3 McDonalds close to my house...YIKES!

shhh....DeanK will come visit and will never leave Wink

46Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am so close right now I can hear JTFs screams from the dungeon.. open up GC ITS ME!!!

47Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Where's the third one?

48Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

walmart on mcphilips
stand alone on mcphilips ( near home depot )
stand alone on mcphilips ( near inkster )
???
maybe even one on keewatin?

49Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:17 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Stand alone at McPhillips & Notre Dame
Stand alone on Century
Stand alone at Portage & Sherbrook
Stand alone at Portage & Wall
in Walmart on Empress

50Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I guess it all depends what GC considers close Smile

51Wii or xBox or ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wii or xBox or ??? Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

So what was this thread about?
Oh yeah, the new Mario Bros Big Mac Adventure.
Or should I say DeanK, LORD OF THE ONION RINGS?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum