the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Deal Part II

+4
Freeman
Deank
grumpy old man
Outsider
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1New Deal Part II Empty New Deal Part II Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/columnists/tom_brodbeck/2011/03/19/17687031.html#/news/columnists/tom_brodbeck/2011/03/19/pf-17687031.html

When I first read this I thought it was another of the Suns April Fools jokes.
Then I realized its more than a week until April.

2New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:51 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

How about posting some ideas about raising revenue to attack the infrastructure deficit? This city has been run by vision-less fools for 50 years. Those same fools have let the city grow well beyond reasonable (sprawl) and they've not kept the roads and bridges up to par. Well guess what? The piper wants to be paid. And we don't have the money.

Everybody and their dog whines and bitches about tax/levy increases all the while whining and bitching about the state of our 1) roads & bridges; b) community centres; iii) police force; 4) b1tch de jour...

brodschuck thinks if only we cut the bloated city bureaucracy the city will be saved. The problem with that idiots' position is our bureaucracy can only be a small part of the problem.

So there needs to be some innovative and creative ideas put forward. That committee is at least doing something. What are the whiners and bitchers doing about matters? What does brodschmuck do? b1tch. He seems to have all the answers. Why not contribute?

A 1% surtax on gas is a good way to make users help pay for the roads they drive on. License fees for cyclists will do the same. Make developers pay for full development where today none exists. Impose a 1% city tax to help pay for the services we all demand such as police and fire.

Do this until the city catches up. And then, one by one, eliminate them.

Or let's continue to whine and b1tch. How has that served us so far?

3New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:04 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

raising taxes inside the city without legislated corresponding taxes outside the city is idiotic.

4New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:17 am

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:raising taxes inside the city without legislated corresponding taxes outside the city is idiotic.
Why should taxes be legislated to be raised outside the city just because the city can't contain their own spending habits? Question
This would be like your brother forcing you to buy a new car just because he bought a new car even though you have 6 kids to feed and he has none.
Perhaps a better idea would be for the 3 levels of government to get together and decide which services they would fund and provide.
And stop duplicating any services if there are any.

5New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:45 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The problem faced is people moving outside the city to avoid paying city taxes yet using the city services, roads, infrastructure.

So Deank is right. There needs to be a way to manage taxes that the municipalities need. Perhaps the province must be more properly engaged...

6New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 am

Anonymous

Sorry GOM, but I have to agree with your buddy Tom.

Before we look at ways of raising new revenue streams, we must look at reducing the size of government...the bureaucracy.

Without doing so, the bureacracy will continue to expand and there will never be enough revenue to meet those expanded requirements.

Look at the bloody authors of the report....my good friend Reg Alcock...who never saw an idea he wouldn't spend money on.....and Chris the Construction Guy....guess where his interests are? Smile

7New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

First, got to agree with the point that I'm also not sure if we're even getting what we're paying for now.

But, I do see merit in these types of levies. Get this sh1t off property taxes. Not sure what the value of your house has to do with infrastructure renewal? Not sure how you can charge a gas tax in Winnipeg, when all you got to do is drive 5 minutes to save the money. Time for the province to step in, as distasteful as that may be for them having to talk to anyone who is not anti-business.

I think Sam still has some cleaning up to do within the civic bureaucracy.

8New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Outsider wrote:
Deank wrote:raising taxes inside the city without legislated corresponding taxes outside the city is idiotic.
Why should taxes be legislated to be raised outside the city just because the city can't contain their own spending habits? Question
This would be like your brother forcing you to buy a new car just because he bought a new car even though you have 6 kids to feed and he has none.
Perhaps a better idea would be for the 3 levels of government to get together and decide which services they would fund and provide.
And stop duplicating any services if there are any.

I totally agree. It is a shitty idea. But the only idea that will work if Winnipeg were to raise taxes.

A much better idea would be to slash the bloat at the civic, provincial and federal levels. Less spent on bloat, more to "trickle" down to where it is needed.

9New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Trouble is it would be a trickle.

By all means tackle the city bloat. Anyone have any idea as to what that would free up in terms of $$$'s?

What is the civic workforce? 5,000? Does that include police and fire/paramedic? Does that bring it down to about 3,000?

What percentage of that is bloat? 5%? 10? 25?

3000 employees; average salary: $50,000
5% 150 $7,500,000
10% 300 $15,000,000
25% 750 $37,500,000

I could accept 5-10% being a reasonable bloat number. Lets lop 10% off our civic workforce. Take the resultant $15 million annual savings and spend it properly.

$15 million won't even put a dent in our needs. Where do we get the remaining billions to cut our infrastructure deficit?

Creative assessments such as gas taxes, city taxes... Have the province manage those taxes province wide and dole the monies out on a population percentage. Easy as pie...

10New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Trouble is it would be a trickle.

By all means tackle the city bloat. Anyone have any idea as to what that would free up in terms of $$$'s?"

"A much better idea would be to slash the bloat at the civic, provincial and federal levels."

Best estimate? 80 billion country wide.

The level of bloat and the federal and provincial levels is quite tremendous.

11New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:19 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Perhaps we start with something we might have control over. Then expand it. In the meantime while we wait what happens to the infrastructure deficit?

12New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

They are all our government. We control it all right?

13New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Heh heh. Yeah. Sure.

We can't even get selinger and his ndp bozos to run the hydro line down the right side of the province saving hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars. Billions maybe.

14New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL WHOOPS!!!!

on hot103 right now. Join us on Global news tonight for yada yada. (prepare for weather) AND join us tonight to see why TOWNS and CITIES in WINNIPEG are asking for a new tax to help with infrastructure.

15New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

russ wyatt was interviewed a few minutes ago on citi fm. Shadoe soft-balled him left, right and centre. Why do "reporters" even bother if they won't ask the tough questions?

16New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous

The pussies are afraid that they won't ever get another interview.

It really shows how hicksville they are....RRCC sucks eh. Smile

17New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

As annoying as marty gold was he was not afraid to ask the questions I wanted asked....

18New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Speaking of marty gold: http://tgcts.blogspot.com/2011/03/cathy-rushton-mocked-kick-fm-listeners.html

Dude needs to let it go now. Either sue the bastidges or move on...

19New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 am

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

I agree that something needs to be done. It seems every bridge, road etc that requires work is a political decision.
Cutting out the waste in government is a good start, however how is that done? The savings would barely make a dent in the massive infrastructure deficit.
I don't know what the answers are, however I would like to see all gas taxes collected in Manitoba stay in Manitoba with the largest amount left in Winnipeg to be used only for infrastructure repairs. I also have no problem paying additional gas taxes provided the money is used for road repairs and not shifter around to balance budgets etc

20New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Anonymous

New streams of revenues will forever be there...even after the roads are fixed. I don't believe that adding new taxes is the answer....they are the easy way out.

Also, this would be an admission that the other money being spent is being spent on legit projects, which isn't the case. (Ex: calming circles and bike paths off the top of my head)

It's hard to cut "programs" but that is what needs to happen. We must get back to fundamental mandates imo....and stay there.

21New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Ok, so how do you get back to the fundamental mandates?
It's near impossible for any politician to want something for the greater good if it hurts their chance for re-election.
So aside from a massive uprising, how can change be made?

22New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Let's start with the amount of money required annually. Pick a number:
* $100 million (if infrastructure deficit is $1 billion it will take more than 10 years at this rate).
* $250 million?
* $500 million?

If our total city budget is $800~ million where do we start cutting? And can we realistically keep cutting levels for a decade or more?

Another question I have is how much has the city budgeted this year and planned for the next 5 - 10 years?

23New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well lets stop paying tax dollars into building NEW infrastructure in new areas to begin with. That will save a few million.

24New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:16 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Agreed. So the city needs to grow a set of nads and tell developers that from this moment forward any new development will include all infrastructure needs to service it.

Anyone know how much this cost's the city annually?

What else?

25New Deal Part II Empty Re: New Deal Part II Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

adopt a plow budget and plan similar to Edmonton.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum