the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

$50 Million wish list!

+10
grumpyrom
St Norberter
Jondo
Bartron
JT Estoban
death128
Miz point
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
Deank
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

At this point in time a mil would still be pretty cool....like I said to a friend today there is no sense buying something and eroding the principal....better to rent/lease and try things out. I think having some money to play with is perfect for those of us who are somewhat ADD/ADHD? hahahahaha

The Winnipeg Foundation has been around for decades and it grows. Imagine all the good a twenty or thirty mil foundation start-up could do.

I hope whoever wins the big one is a visionary and reasonably intelligent.....some folks get consumed by instant wealth and wind up suffering from teh classic crash and burn.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

27$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:40 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:That's a lovely sentiment. Thanks for sharing.

If your going to dream, you may as well dream big.

With $25 million+ sitting in the bank I don't see why anyone would CHOOSE Winnipeg over dozens of other places on the planet with perfect climates, much better scenery, and the ability to never have to own long pants or shoes ever again. Winnipeg is not anywhere even near my short list of "dream" places to live.

28$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:53 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Then start a "I hate Winnipeg" thread and have at it. This is a thread about a lottery wish list...

Spoiler:

29$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:00 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpyrom wrote:

With $25 million+ sitting in the bank I don't see why anyone would CHOOSE Winnipeg over dozens of other places on the planet with perfect climates, much better scenery, and the ability to never have to own long pants or shoes ever again. Winnipeg is not anywhere even near my short list of "dream" places to live.

out of curiousity... then why are you still here? Its really not that hard to move. And BTW.. Hawaii CAN be one of the more dangerous places to be, because the Native peoples want the invader gone, and they have been known to kill people for going to the wrong place.

30$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:11 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Then start a "I hate Winnipeg" thread and have at it. This is a thread about a lottery wish list...

Spoiler:

I never stated "I hate Winnipeg", just that I'd be gone in a heartbeat IF I won the lottery. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Just because this city wouldn't be on my "dream" list doesn't mean I hate Winnipeg.

It just means I'd much rather live somewhere with a better year round climate, IF I HAD THE CHOICE. Winning the lottery would make the decision very easy for me.

Geez, just cause my dream is a bit bigger than some people's doesn't mean I hate Winnipeg.

31$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:18 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:

out of curiousity... then why are you still here? Its really not that hard to move. And BTW.. Hawaii CAN be one of the more dangerous places to be, because the Native peoples want the invader gone, and they have been known to kill people for going to the wrong place.

Really? It's not that hard to move? First of all, when one is not independantly wealthy and still employed there's the whole finding equivalent employment prior to moving problem. Then there is the costs involved with the move, loss in income during the transition, the actual moving costs, etc.

Moving to a different country adds a whole new lists of costs and/or problems. Immigration to the US is practically impossible unless your are a proffesional in certain fields, an athlete, actor OR incredibly wealthy.

So considering the obstacles involved with a potential move, it's just not worth the headaches involved if one has stable well paying employment imho. Once I retire and/or win (lol) then it makes it much easier to consider a move.

And no, I dont hate Winnipeg just cause I'd rather live on a tropical island if I had the opportunity.

32$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:22 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:

And BTW.. Hawaii CAN be one of the more dangerous places to be, because the Native peoples want the invader gone, and they have been known to kill people for going to the wrong place.

That sounds just like the North End on a Saturday night. Ever hang around the Merchant on Selkirk after dark?

33$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly! so why move when you got Hawaii right here?

34$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:26 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I won I won I won./.... a whole freakin $20. ahh well.. enough for a bottle I guess ( or gas to get to work )

nah... bottle..

35$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:41 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:
Deank wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:

Really? It's not that hard to move? First of all, when one is not independantly wealthy and still employed there's the whole finding equivalent employment prior to moving problem. Then there is the costs involved with the move, loss in income during the transition, the actual moving costs, etc.

Moving to a different country adds a whole new lists of costs and/or problems. Immigration to the US is practically impossible unless your are a proffesional in certain fields, an athlete, actor OR incredibly wealthy.

So considering the obstacles involved with a potential move, it's just not worth the headaches involved if one has stable well paying employment imho. Once I retire and/or win (lol) then it makes it much easier to consider a move.

And no, I dont hate Winnipeg just cause I'd rather live on a tropical island if I had the opportunity.

As someone who had .lived and worked in other countries for extended periods of time (well beyond six months at a time) I can attest to the difficulties that some may face when making changes that encompass more than just climate. This is why I tell folks when they get "beach fever" to rent a place in the tropics during rainy season when it is muggy, buggy and miserable. If they can hack it out then?

As to me, as long as the beer is cold, there is lots of ice and the power does not go out (need your fans) all is good.

36$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:07 am

Anonymous

Why would anyone stay in the tropics during the rainy season?

That's when you come and enjoy all the Manitoba mosquitoes.

37$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

For people who are wishing to permanently retire to points south it is a good thing to do your research first. That one or two week vacation in paradise is not the same as living day to day for years to come in same place. Many expat retirees wind up in terrible real estate deals that they cannot extricate themselves from all that easily. I say it is almost always better to rent, move around and explore.

Rainy seasons in say Costa Rica are nothing like the ones in Belize. Or Jamaica for that matter. I would say there are far more mosquitoes here than many parts of Belize which can be a swampy place in its own right. And looking right here there are less mosquitoes in the Whiteshell than Winnpeg, depending of course where one is.

It's all relative. I prefer summers here unless I am in the mountains of Central America or of course certain beaches.

38$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:18 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yah, you're right. You didn't say you hate Winnipeg. My bad. That's just how I read this:

grumpyrom wrote:Get the hell out of Winnipeg.

...and...

I would have ZERO urge to remain in Winnipeg.
This is a forum about Winnipeg. Not sure how one would expect peeps to respond to such gratuitous comments. Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

Sheesh.

39$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:19 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Miz point wrote:For people who are wishing to permanently retire to points south it is a good thing to do your research first. That one or two week vacation in paradise is not the same as living day to day for years to come in same place. Many expat retirees wind up in terrible real estate deals that they cannot extricate themselves from all that easily. I say it is almost always better to rent, move around and explore.

Rainy seasons in say Costa Rica are nothing like the ones in Belize. Or Jamaica for that matter. I would say there are far more mosquitoes here than many parts of Belize which can be a swampy place in its own right. And looking right here there are less mosquitoes in the Whiteshell than Winnpeg, depending of course where one is.

It's all relative. I prefer summers here unless I am in the mountains of Central America or of course certain beaches.
$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 114687

40$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:50 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

thank you GOM as I cannot emphasize enough, and I do it on many travel forums, the need to engage in research and just get around....I have been traveling to many exotic locales for my work for a good part of twenty years, mostly by private car may I add so I have seen a great deal of Mexico and Central America. As well, the retirement rules and residency rules are different and change constantly depending on whether or not there is more cash to part from the eager retirees.....as well, there are the little differences that for some may be amusing at first but after an extended period of time can become quite vexatious.

I built a place in Central America, sold it and now would have to think twice before buying/building again as I do love so many spots and because of the years spent booting around I have so many choices for places to hang out at....choice is a good thing.

As a pure fantasy, the island project would be cool but I would still want to get away and visit other locales and friends.....as to maintaining something permanent I would for sure build a fab remote place in the Whiteshell as that area is far enough away from the big city to be peaceful but also close enough to get provisions.

One thing I have been looking into is buying a boat but to commit to a live-aboard is not for everyone either and as we age taking also into consideration that some us may have to deal with dubious health matters, that too may not be feasible. I try to tell folks to explore a bit, even here if they can as there are many sweet spots.

There is nothing wrong with jetting around....that is cool and I for one am very grateful to have been able to live that sort of life for these past years as it gives me a fairly grounded perspective as to what I would not like to be doing....for some, retiring in the Okanagan (not for me) is cool and for others they are happy to remain where they are.

41$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:12 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have just retired and moved South!
from Wellington Crescent to charleswood!

http://www.elansofas.com

42$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So how is the climate there? Any seismic activity we should know about? Volcanoes? Angry mobs of the poor?

43$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:30 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I seem to be missing a few things in my retirement home!
1) A bathroom sink
2) a Kitchen
3) washer and dryer
4) a stove hooked up
5) a fridge in the house, not in the garage
6) A garburetor

This would be so depressing if it was not so funny!

44$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:32 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That is a conventional household in Charleswood. Someone should have warned you...

45$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The good part is that 2 little deer ate my wife's hostas!

46$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I certainly hope that hostas is not a euphemism for something

47$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dean!! Hostas are flowers, rather large flowers.....heheheh

48$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

A baby rabbit ate all of our pea sprouts. $50 Million wish list! - Page 2 190

49$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

To quote from the Holy Grail.....BUT It's only a rabbit!!!!!

50$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:49 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Get real folks, 50 million is meant to be blown!!!!!!!!!
1) http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9512067
2) Buy the other half the damn electric car she goes on about, nissan leaf I think.
3) Build a treehouse, not a skimpy tree house but a full on tree house.
4) Private Jet.
5) Take the other half on a round the world trip.
6) Macau with the buddies.
7) Enter every WSOP event possiable.
8 A garden/barn and staff gardeners/farm hands that would produce all our food/smoke chemical free.
9) Vintage Mini Cooper, Vintage Westfalia completely reno'd.
10) cryopreservation upon death.

cc

51$50 Million wish list! - Page 2 Empty Re: $50 Million wish list! Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:40 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Sorry all...you'll have to settle for $25M...if you live in Newfoundland or Saskatchewan.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100626/national/50_million_lottery

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum