the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones?

+10
JT Estoban
AGEsAces
Jondo
Northlands
EdWin
holly golightly
Deank
LivingDead
eViL tRoLl
grumpy old man
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones?

Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? Vote_lcap6%Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? Vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? Vote_lcap6%Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? Vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? Vote_lcap88%Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? Vote_rcap 88% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Is the buffer zone fine as it is? Does this buffer zone exclude too many people. Should the comfort and safety of one preclude the comfort and safety of many?

Anonymous

We should get rid of the zones completely.

....and btw, develope a mosquito that just goes after women with hairy legs and armpits....screw Wolseleyites!!!

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

We should get rid of fogging completely, or increase buffer zones to a size that beneficial insects and other creatures can not be harmed.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

eViL tRoLl wrote:We should get rid of fogging completely, or increase buffer zones to a size that beneficial insects and other creatures can not be harmed.

Bring back DDT, lets get rid of those damn bugs once and for all!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

poll is flawed.

It should be asking if the province should change the buffer zones.

Anonymous

True 'nuf.

It'd be a slice to see the city ask for the removal and the province saying no.

Would this be a ballot issue? Imo, damn right it would....and removing school taxes from property. Wink

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pretty easy for Sam to win this one eh?

Make the request to change to province. Province says no. Sam says... you will get more of this from a long time NDP supporter like Judy.

Province says yes.... TADA!!! Sam is doing a great job.

heh

Anonymous

If they don't change the zones, at least, post the names and addresses of the people that don't want spraying. heh heh....chicken sh1t bastards would complain I bet....

Have you noticed that those opposed to spraying don't want to be shown on TV? Says a lot imo.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Funny thing is as soon as a mosquito is detected with West Nile virus the buffer zones are immediately removed regardless of how many have put in requests. I am an organic person and don't agree with using pesticides if there is a proven alternative to the chemical but in this case I would rather close my windows in my home and not be outside for the day after spraying is done than to be bit by a mosquito infected with West Nile in my own back yard. For me the chemical treatment to cure West Nile is more damaging and prolonged than the 24-36 hours of staying away from my yard.
Remove the buffer zones all together and be done with it. Pretty soon the stock pile of the chemicals that the city is using will be gone and cannot be re-ordered as it is no longer made. So getting rid of the buffer zones will deplete the inventory that much faster (you would think the tree huggers with all their education would have come to that conclusion).

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pretty soon everyone will be immune to West Nile.

I dont think we should post buffer zone information. But I also think the buffer zone should be reduced to 20 feet from the property.

I ALMOST want to have a buffer zone myself because I really hate that all the other bugs are being killed off at the same time. But two of my kids are very allergic to mosquito bites and while I can handle the skeeters.. they really cant. DEET only works so well.. and quite frankly when it melts plastic and such one has to wonder what it is doing to our skin.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

holly golightly wrote: I would rather close my windows in my home and not be outside for the day after spraying is done than to be bit by a mosquito infected with West Nile in my own back yard. For me the chemical treatment to cure West Nile is more damaging and prolonged than the 24-36 hours of staying away from my yard.
Studies in places that were heavily affected by WNV, such as New York, have consistently shown that the adverse health affects of malathion (e.g. respiratory issues) far exceed the health risk from the virus. That's why no town is spraying because of health risks. Winnipeggers are weird.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Mosquito update: are they bad out there now after all that rain?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yup...

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Should the city change mosquito fogging buffer zones? 833605429_nuke

I can't go three feet out my door without having 15-20 of these infernal creatures chewing on me. ( I live in Woseley... for the moment. )

I'm at the point that I want these things defeated at any cost. I can't even reasonably play outside with my kid. It's probably like this in most areas in the city too.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I just ignore them.. until they mess with my whisky

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Why is it even deemed necessary in cities? I live rurally and there's no option - we just don't have this "spray" and we manage through it. I do wonder though how much more harmful the city spray could be over the can of repellant we use every other day here by the river - it can't be a good thing to be coating yourself with that stuff either.

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Jondo wrote:Why is it even deemed necessary in cities? I live rurally and there's no option - we just don't have this "spray" and we manage through it. I do wonder though how much more harmful the city spray could be over the can of repellant we use every other day here by the river - it can't be a good thing to be coating yourself with that stuff either.

We're wimps!

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

DDT helped North America virtually wipe out malaria on this continent.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Anonymous

Studies in places that were heavily affected by WNV, such as New York, have consistently shown that the adverse health affects of malathion

I'm afraid that you are merely spreading misinformation.

There is currently no reliable information on adverse health effects of chronic exposure to malathion.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

We (and hundreds of other cities) spray because of the nature of cities that causes them to be excellent mosquito breeding zones.

-more standing water
-slightly higher heat

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I think Winnipeg should invest in one of these:

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

okay WHAT THE HELL ALREADY!!!

my street has been fogged three f'n nights in a row. Hard to even think of keeping track of if you are going to be fogged so maybe close your windows when you were already fogged so why would you check?

http://winnipeg.ca/cms/bugline/mosquitoes/fogging.stm

grumble.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

The foggier the better.

Feel free to send them my way, especially since I talked to the hippie neighbor who, after hearing they were fogging again, just said to me yesterday "I didn't have time to request a buffer"

Yup, after that, sealed the deal....we're moving the hell out BEFORE next summer!

Jebus.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah but I bet more mosquitos would keep the damn lilly stealing thieves away.

Anonymous

Buy a fogger and fog the hell out of your property. There ain't much he can do if some blows over to his place.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum