the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Step N Out

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Step N Out Empty Step N Out Tue May 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The hubby and I are going to try Step N Out for our anniversary. Has anyone been there? The reviews I have read online are mixed so I am looking for some feedback. Thanks

2Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd never even heard of it until just now...

3Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

I had supper there once several years ago. Short review: kitschy, cute, and romantic setting with lots of shoe knick knacks and twinkle lights; surprisingly informal service and dress with a very chatty hostess/chef owner's wife; and good food but costs more than it looked and tasted.

Longer review:

Nic and I visited Step'n Out around 2004. He made a reservation ahead of time and asked for a romantic corner tucked out of the way, a request that they were happy to accomodate. When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by a very enthusiastic woman who turned out to be the chef's wife (husband and wife team) who sat us on the main floor in the corner by a little pond with koi. The table was tiny, but the slightly cramped seating kind of suits the place's faerie-like charm.

Before leaving, the hostess made a few cutesy comments and presented us with the menu, which is written on a blackboard and moved from table to table as people come in. (I'm assuming there are a few.) It might be a little hard to read as it is written in chalk. It's not a very extensive menu, but it is international and reflects influences from Asia, the Mediterranean, Canada, etc. There were a variety of meat-based dishes, one or two vegetarian mains, and something spicy, as well as a few appetizers.

Our server came by soon after and I was a little put off by the fact that she was wearing a fleece vest over a turtleneck. (It was a Step'n Out vest.) Sure, it was a little chilly, but it immediately brought down the formality of the evening and for a place voted most romantic restaurant for several years running, I guess I had expected something a little different.

We ordered a bowl of soup to start, two mains, and a dessert. The soup was delicious, though I can't recall what it was exactly. Nic had the duck over a bed of couscous. The duck was fantastic - moist, rendered well, and flavourful - but the couscous was a little dry and flavourless. I had the lobster ravioli in a lemon cream sauce, which at first seemed to be a small portion with for large ravioli, but I quickly found out they were stuffed full of fresh, meaty, shredded lobster (not much filler here!) and had to take some home. They were sweet enough to try to help Nic surprise me with a slice of dessert with a candle to blow out (I guess it was my birthday...?) but I ruined it by getting up to go to the washroom as they walked out of the kitchen! The cake, not made in-house at the time, was not good. Dry and lacking any richness.

Our meal came to around $100 for two people, but I only had tea to drink and Nic had water. I remember we enjoyed it enough that Nic tipped the kitchen, but we both thought it was too pricey for a more casual than expected atmosphere and good, not great food. I haven't been back, but I would go for lunch, where some of the same dishes are served for 2/3 of the price.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

4Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Unless I'm mistaken, the chef/owner is the guy who used to own the Christmas store in Osborne Village. Anyone remember that place?

http://www.stepnout.ca/

I've never been but the menu looks excellent.

5Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Wed May 26, 2010 10:42 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I was hoping the hubby would make reservations at Beaujena's, I LOVED it there! I have been reading mixed reviews about Step N Out and I keep reading how overpriced it is.

6Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have never been disappointed with Step N Out's food but I have not eaten there in over two years. I have heard nothing disparaging from any colleagues.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

7Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 am

Anonymous

Over-priced eh?

Yesterday the Muse and I paid $35.00 for a grilled chicken sandwich and a Reuben (both with fries) and a couple of bowls of soup (spinach/fetta) in Garson.

8Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:Over-priced eh?

Yesterday the Muse and I paid $35.00 for a grilled chicken sandwich and a Reuben (both with fries) and a couple of bowls of soup (spinach/fetta) in Garson.

I don't mind spending money if the food is good. I have heard mixed reviews about both the food and service at Step N Out. I guess I will find out for myself next Saturday.

What restaurant did you and the muse dine at?

9Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Fri May 28, 2010 12:31 am

anny

contributor
contributor

I'm guessing Harvest Moon? Then you're paying for organic, free range, sustainable farming...

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

10Step N Out Empty Re: Step N Out Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 am

Anonymous

Organic corned beef and sauerkraut?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum