the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Thu May 20, 2010 8:02 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

July just got a little more regal.

Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, are set to visit Winnipeg on July 3, Premier Greg Selinger announced Wednesday.

“On behalf of all Manitobans, I will be delighted to welcome the Queen back to our province,” said Selinger in a news release.

“Manitobans have a long, proud and very positive relationship with the Royal Family and we are very pleased that Her Majesty has decided to include Manitoba in her next visit to Canada.”

Organizers may want to break out the monarch-strength mosquito spray to protect the Queen to avoid a repeat of the sensationalized criticism they received from the British press the last time Her Majesty visited in 2002.

In October of that year, she and Prince Phillip became stranded on a water taxi at The Forks, prompting British media to dress down Canadian organizers for the mishap and for not properly helping the royals deal with “frigid” weather.

For their upcoming Canadian tour, the royal couple will arrive in Canada on June 28 and will also visit Ontario and Nova Scotia. They will spend Canada Day in Ottawa.

The summer visit will be the Queen’s 22nd official trip to Canada. Her first visit was in 1957.

The royal couple was last in the country in 2005, when they toured Alberta and Saskatchewan.

The visit comes at time when polls show Canadians split over continuation of our links to the British Monarchy.

A Leger Marketing poll conducted last fall found 45% of Canadians outside of Quebec favoured cutting ties to the Queen while 44% saw our links to the monarchy as a great tradition that should be maintained.

In Quebec, more than 80% surveyed were in favour of severing ties to the Crown.

2Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Any monarchists in the sandbox? Do peeps care about the monarchy any more? Should Canada maintain her regal traditions? Should we celebrate the monarchy and our history but abandon the more mundane traditions like Governor Generals and the like?

3Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 am

Anonymous

Yup.

4Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Fri May 21, 2010 12:51 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I've never quite understood the monarchy tribute Canada (and other countries) still offer.

As an American...I have respect for the monarchy as the head of a country (England in this case)...and would certainly feel honoured if given the chance to meet her.

I've thought Canada to not be an autonomous country, as long as the tribute to the Monarchy exists. I quite often hear about past wars where the "Canadian Military" was outstanding and did great things...yet weren't they "technically" British Military serving Canada?

I guess I would attribute it to the US as each US State is "autonomous", even have their own military (National Guard or Reserves), and their own governments, and then each State has Counties or Townships which again has their own defenses (Police/Sheriff) etc.

Canada would be a "state" of Britain, and each Province a County/Township within.

I guess the only exception would be the tax structure, as I believe the taxes paid to the Canadian Federal government do not go to Britain...or do they?

http://www.photage.ca

5Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Sat May 22, 2010 9:36 am

Anonymous

I say that we replace the Queen with a roof vent. The vent would serve the same purpose but be much less expensive to maintain.

People like AA could still be honoured to be in its presence and it wouldn't cost us much to have the roof vent be there.

Hell, we could feed a small country on the savings in security alone.

Just a thought....oh...the roof vent could be a grey colour...just to be politically neutral.

6Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Sat May 22, 2010 9:47 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Practicaly speaking - the Monarchy is a waste of time and money. We certainly don't need GG's in provinces or the federal head of state (who angered Harper over the last year while she trotted the world and introduced herself as the head of Canada). I like the Queen, who represents the stoic stability of Monarchy but when she's gone - most will have little respect for Harry as King. That would be a good time for that family to dismount their ghost-horse.

7Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

and who would be on our 20? cretien? no thanks!

8Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Empty Re: Queen to visit Winnipeg on July 3 Tue May 25, 2010 6:33 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:I say that we replace the Queen with a roof vent. The vent would serve the same purpose but be much less expensive to maintain.

People like AA could still be honoured to be in its presence and it wouldn't cost us much to have the roof vent be there.

Hell, we could feed a small country on the savings in security alone.

Just a thought....oh...the roof vent could be a grey colour...just to be politically neutral.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum