the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Western provinces sign economic deal

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 8:19 am

administrator

administrator
administrator
administrator

The premiers of B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan have signed a deal designed to help the three provinces remove barriers to economic development and function more as a single economic zone.

Under the New West Partnership agreement, which was signed Friday in Regina by B.C.'s Gordon Campbell, Alberta's Ed Stelmach and Saskatchewan's Brad Wall, professional qualifications and business licences obtained in one province will be recognized by each of the partners.

"We signed an agreement today that creates an amazing economic force: the New West, an economic region of 9 million people strong and $555 billion in GDP," Wall said. "It is an economic region that is home to a number of industries the world is very interested in right now."

The deal means, for example, a teacher who's certified in Saskatchewan will also gain certification in the other two provinces.

The provinces also agree to promote the region together. The three premiers will start doing that next month when they travel together on a trade mission to Japan and China.

They also say they'll try to use the provinces' joint purchasing power to get better deals from suppliers for things like prescription drugs.

That should save all of them money, Campbell said.

"If we jointly procure equipment for our schools or we jointly procure textbooks or pharmaceuticals, there are substantial savings for British Columbians, Albertans and people from Saskatchewan," Campbell said.

The deal includes an innovation agreement, which the provinces say will better co-ordinate efforts to attract investment and talent.

Alberta's Stelmach said with all three provinces shopping together, they will be able to reduce some of their public expenditures.

"When we do that, we can then keep our taxes low, and that's what's going to attract investment from other countries," he said.

"We've just gone through a huge global economic shift," he added. "There's going to be tremendous competition for labour, for investment, and investment will naturally navigate to those areas that have same regulations, [a] larger base of population."

The deal has been the subject of intense Opposition scrutiny in the Saskatchewan legislature in recent days, with NDP leader Dwain Lingenfelter asking how the government can sign a deal without telling the public what's in it.

Labour groups have also raised concerns that the deal will lead to a lowest common denominator of health, safety and environmental regulations.

However, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business hailed the agreement, saying it will reduce the red tape its members face and could help solve labour shortage problems.

Manitoba welcome

Manitoba's NDP government was noticeably absent from the media conference Friday.

That province's deputy premier said her province wasn't invited to be part of the partnership — but Rosann Wowchuk says "that's fine by her".

She said Manitoba already works with each of those provinces when common issues, such as energy, arise.

"When it comes to trade, we prefer a more national approach for Canada … rather than hiving off a certain part of the country,"
Wowchuk said in a phone interview.

Wall, Campbell and Stelmach said Manitoba and other provinces would be welcome to sign on, if they're interested.

(With files from The Canadian Press)

2Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 am

administrator

administrator
administrator
administrator

Imagine how Manitoba were to have fared under a government that understands business drives an economy, not government. The current government scares me. The people that keep voting this government into power frightens me more.

It might well be time for a new governing party. None of the current three stooges seem remotely fit to run this great province.

3Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

administrator wrote:Imagine how Manitoba were to have fared under a government that understands business drives an economy, not government. The current government scares me. The people that keep voting this government into power frightens me more.

It might well be time for a new governing party. None of the current three stooges seem remotely fit to run this great province.

Isn't this exactly what GOM wrote on Skyscraper forum; word for word???

4Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 3:03 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

...and your point is?

5Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 3:12 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

My point is.....I find it odd, and unorigional on someone's part. That's my point.

6Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Hey, lighten up eh? Just a joke right? Western provinces sign economic deal Icon_smile

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

7Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

EdWin wrote:My point is.....I find it odd, and unorigional on someone's part. That's my point.
Unless...

8Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Oh, it's a joke. Ok, I get it now. Haha.
There, it's settled now.

9Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 3:16 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
EdWin wrote:My point is.....I find it odd, and unorigional on someone's part. That's my point.
Unless...

I have no idea what you are referring to.

10Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Sun May 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
Unless...

Yea unless

11Western provinces sign economic deal Empty Re: Western provinces sign economic deal Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 am

Anonymous

To bad this is the only have not province in the west that we did not even get invite . Western provinces sign economic deal Icon_sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum