the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wal-Mart Supercentres

+13
JT Estoban
AGEsAces
rosencrentz
holly golightly
Deank
eViL tRoLl
grumpy old man
grumpyrom
toban71
anny
LivingDead
EdWin
trebor204
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

Isn't it worse, though, to compound problems by willfully adding that step of buying the food that has to be trucked if there is a reasonable alternative? Sure, you can argue against any kind of simple or conscious lifestyle by saying that there are all these negations, but we wouldn't get very far in the world without doing the little things, too.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

27Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not saying its better or worse.. just saying the sun dont shine as brightly out of the arses of the 100milers as they have people believe.

28Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Maybe some of the 100 milers as you call them may think their "shite" don't stink but for the most part the people I know who do their best to buy local are no better or worse than the rest, they are just doing their part to make their lives better. It is a conscience decision, just as yours is a conscience decision not to participate. And neither is better than the other, because in each, we are keeping a whole host of people employed, regardless of where on this earth they happen to live.

29Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 am

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

I guess if the WalMart stocks up on local food the 100milers will have another place to do their shopping then.

30Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:55 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I love the statement that Winnipeg has high prices on food, with no back up for the statement!
try this one- "Winnipeg has a most competitive food supply system"- Super Store , has great , low prices on everything. I think Sobeys and Safeway have the highest pricing on everything.
Walmart, I do not know too well, but when I complained that their butter pricing was way higher than Super Store, a week later , I noticed that their price was reduced to below the SuperStore price. Twice before, there was no adjustment .

http://www.elansofas.com

31Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

back to the WalMart issue Wink.

I'm surprised at this recent announcement.

WalMart has long said they would not implement SuperCentres into areas which don't allow 24/7 shopping.
Currently, they are not allowed this in Manitoba. The false-advertising on their stores that say "24 Hours" is actually 24/6 1/2 because of the stupid Sunday limitations.

I'm curious if some deal has been struck Provincially to get that law changed which hasn't been brought forward yet.

http://www.photage.ca

32Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:back to the WalMart issue Wink.

WalMart has long said they would not implement SuperCentres into areas which don't allow 24/7 shopping.
Currently, they are not allowed this in Manitoba. The false-advertising on their stores that say "24 Hours" is actually 24/6 1/2 because of the stupid Sunday limitations.

I'm curious if some deal has been struck Provincially to get that law changed which hasn't been brought forward yet.

Say it ain't so....I can just imagine the outrage... Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
It'll be about the same as the trash bin brouhaha...

33Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

100 milers or best said - LOCAVORES - are a minority. Unrealistic at best if one wants to eat more than rutabagas, spuds, mouldy onions and preserves.

I welcome a shopping concept whereby if I want something at two in the morning I can buy it and not have to go to a sev' in order to do it. As to food prices in this town they are far lower than Cowtown. Mind you, as a foodie, I believe this town has much catching up to do in terms of gourmet goodies but then again we have more choices now than we did just five years ago!

Any new shopping alternative is good for this town even if WalMart is a giant, evil corporation.....does not mean any of us are forced to shop there right?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

34Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:back to the WalMart issue Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Icon_wink.

Walmart has realized that 24/7 is not that much different then 24/6.5.

35Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

holly golightly wrote:Not impossible to do if you do your research. We buy all of our bread products from Tall Grass Prairie and they use primarily organic locally grown grains and state it on their web site. We use a local butcher who for the most part buys his meat from local farms, chicken and pork (we don't eat beef so not sure where he buys his beef from). When the opportunity presents itself we buy all of our produce from local farmers and farmers markets. Yes it may be more expensive in the beginning planning stage because we have to drive to more than one location but if you plan accordingly, it can be done very effeciently. I also appreciate the fact that sometimes people can't do the 100 mile challenge because of time constraints and for us here in Winnipeg, location, but you can do your best to try to do it as much as possible. Just by making the choice in the local Sobey's or Safeway to read the labels and find out where the item was produced, locally in Manitoba, Canada or if it was imported from outside of Canada can be one way to do your part to reduce the carbon footprint. As well if you look at the products that are imported from outside of Canada, were the imported using the fair trade policy (like the fair trade coffee being sold in most grocery stores). It only takes a few times to do the reading to know which products can become part of your "100 mile challenge". If we all were to do it as much as possible, especially in the summer months with the farmer's markets, maybe the scenario of Peak of the Market monopoly would not be such an issue. One of the other benefits of the 100 mile challenge can be the "road trips" you get to go on in the summer time. They can be fun as you get to see places that you wouldn't normally go to. And it also allows for some great family time.

Ask Tall Grass where they get their Yeast, molasses, sugar.

We for the most part buy Manitoba veggies, Manitoba chickens/hogs/cows/bison, I guess I could always start hunting again. I use to hunt deer/moose/elk/grouse/duck, and fish for pickerel/rainbow-brown-lake-speckled trout/jack/perch. One could convert their basement into a hydroponic lettuce and tomato factory. But that woul be too much like work. I'll just buy my BC/Florida/California fruit and veggies that don't grow here.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

36Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I've noticed a few places modifying their hours to stay open later....

Sobey's on Henderson is now open till Midnight, the one on Molson/Lagè is open till 11pm, Super Store seems to have changed it's hours in most locations to 11pm as well.

Wasn't that long ago where most were closed @ 9pm even on weeknights. Now that seems to have shifted by at least an extra 2 hours.

Which, if your like me and have very limited off time, you can certainly apreacitate some extra time to get your food shopping done!

37Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:54 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

[quote="LivingDead]
Ask Tall Grass where they get their Yeast, molasses, sugar.

[/quote]
Here is a quote taken right off the Tall Grass web site:
"We make every effort to source our food locally, within the province, where possible"
So yes they do state (between the lines as it may be) that not all of their products used may not be within the 100 mile radius, and I have also stated that in Manitoba it is impossible to be 100% a locavore because there are things that cannot be grown locally, even within Canada. BUT we do our best.

38Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Tall Grass is an amazing bakery. As for sugar we should have our sugar beet industry again....that was a sad day in Ag history when Manitoba Sugar closed down due to the huge American subsidized sugar industry. I grew up using that beautiful brown sugar and to this day still prefer brown sugar over white but of course will stock berry sugar for fancy pastries and cookies. One cannot be a locavore completely in this climate but at least in the meats and root crops categories one can.

Stores like Walmart and Stupid Store should consider supporting more local beef for example rather than having it trucked in from the slaughterhouses of Brookings, AB.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

39Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Sobey's near me did the midnight thing... after one month. closed deli counter at 11PM instead of 12 because of no customers... now deli counter closes at 10 I think. Rest of the store is still open though.. AND 6AM open time for Sobey's thats actually real nice because it still gives time to go get stuff before school/work,

40Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:50 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I love the fact that we can shop and buy everything from local, Mexican, African, Israeli, South American, Chinese especially cheap pricing, if we do our research and have enough money and gasoline to do that!.
Sunnertime vegetables from the local farmers markets are fantastic. At least then, we can actually eat a tomato that has some taste.
Those imports are just cheap, tasteless crapola!

http://www.elansofas.com

41Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Anonymous

Yed the goverment should have made it a requirment to stock a certain percentage of local product and suppliers . Wall Mart buys from all over and most of it out side Canada .

42Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:37 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Canadian protectionism? Wha???

Ahhh, never mind. Manitoba mentality.

43Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:48 pm

toban71

toban71

Pavolo wrote:Yed the goverment should have made it a requirment to stock a certain percentage of local product and suppliers . Wall Mart buys from all over and most of it out side Canada .

I respectfully disagree, sir.
Canada will not proper from protectionist policies. A free market economy is the way to go.

44Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets pretend for a moment that was a rule in place. what exactly would Walmart stock? Its not like Manitoba manufactures much in the way of clothing any more so would walmart have to set up a manufacturing outlet just to be able to meet its stocking requirements?

45Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:39 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:Lets pretend for a moment that was a rule in place. what exactly would Walmart stock? Its not like Manitoba manufactures much in the way of clothing any more so would walmart have to set up a manufacturing outlet just to be able to meet its stocking requirements?

Furniture. I happen to know of a guy who may or may not be Mossad but has a local furniture manufacturing business. He also likes blond bimboes who know there way around a BBQ, I'm told.

46Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Yed the goverment should have made it a requirment to stock a certain percentage of local product and suppliers . Wall Mart buys from all over and most of it out side Canada .

Sort of like CRTC Canadian content requirements. Hows that working?

But, thats a good idea Pav. When they enact that they'll have to triple lane highway 75 for all the traffic going to Grand Forks for shopping. Great thinking.

47Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:02 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Triniman wrote:
Deank wrote:Lets pretend for a moment that was a rule in place. what exactly would Walmart stock? Its not like Manitoba manufactures much in the way of clothing any more so would walmart have to set up a manufacturing outlet just to be able to meet its stocking requirements?

Furniture. I happen to know of a guy who may or may not be Mossad but has a local furniture manufacturing business. He also likes blond bimboes who know there way around a BBQ, I'm told.

too high end for the regular walmart shopper. Most things that MB still manufactures is too high end for walmart and that right there is the problem with the statement of requireing X amount of MB content

48Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

toban71 wrote:

Canada will not proper from protectionist policies. A free market economy is the way to go.

I respectfully disagree, some protectionism is a good thing. You can't have all our crap being made overseas just because the free market dictates that is the cheapest and most profitable method.

What happens when we import all our goods because that's what's cheapest, and we make nothing? You think this economy can survive on service and knowledge industries alone? Who will buy those services once all the people who actually make anything are out of business or unemployed?

49Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:
toban71 wrote:

I respectfully disagree, some protectionism is a good thing. You can't have all our crap being made overseas just because the free market dictates that is the cheapest and most profitable method.

What happens when we import all our goods because that's what's cheapest, and we make nothing? You think this economy can survive on service and knowledge industries alone? Who will buy those services once all the people who actually make anything are out of business or unemployed?

Maybe "we" would have to learn to compete.

50Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpyrom wrote:
toban71 wrote:

Its rather obvious the real solution is to enforce a global pay scale.

51Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart Supercentres Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:25 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Right, lets get the UN on that one right away.

Wal-Mart Supercentres - Page 2 970993

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum