the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do clocks spring forward saturday night or sunday night?

+3
Goth_chic
grumpy old man
casualchris
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

anyone know?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sunday morning at 2am I believe...

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I usually change mine before I go to bed.

trebor204

trebor204

It has always been Saturday Night/Sunday Morning (The same is true during the fall)
And it is Spring Forward (advance the clocks 1 hour)

I normally change mine around 10 in the evening. (I tend to lose an hour during the evening)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I've already started changing mine. I have 5 clocks in the kitchen alone fer gawds sake. Including phones, TVs and the PC there are TOO many clocks in the house... 11 I think.

trebor204

trebor204

Many electronic products (TVs, computers, etc) have an auto adjust feature for daylight savings time. However since North America change Daylight Saving Time to March (from April), some product might get updated in April.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

trebor204 wrote:Many electronic products (TVs, computers, etc) have an auto adjust feature for daylight savings time. However since North America change Daylight Saving Time to March (from April), some product might get updated in April.

Except Saskatchewan, its confuses the cows or soemthing. But then again, they don\t have many electronics there anyway. Do clocks spring forward saturday night or sunday night? Icon_smile

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think maybe we can dispense with the quaint notion of daylight savings time... Maybe Saskatchewan and their cows have it right.

Anonymous

I like to get that extra hour of daylight in the Fall though.

In the Spring I like to think that I get an extra hour of sleep without even knowing it. Howz that for half-full? Smile

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually JTF...you lose the hour of sleep in the Spring.

And...it's no longer "Spring Forward/Fall Back" now it's "Winter Forward/Fall Back", as technically IT'S STILL WINTER!!!

I was just getting used to heading to work with daylight...and now it's dark when I leave again!!!

http://www.photage.ca

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

The exercise of changing clocks and adjusting schedules is extremely expensive, and there are demonstrated health issues similar to jet-lag for travelers. And now there are only about 4 months of winter time, so what's the point. It was invented for energy savings because fewer lights would be turned on in businesses, but many years of study have shown that there are no changes in electricity consumption whatsoever, even without CFL bulbs! Saskatchewan has got it right not to join into this nonsense.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

eViL tRoLl wrote:It was invented for energy savings because fewer lights would be turned on in businesses, but many years of study have shown that there are no changes in electricity consumption whatsoever, even without CFL bulbs! Saskatchewan has got it right not to join into this nonsense.

Actually, this part is wrong.
It was proposed so someone could collect bugs, and someone else could play golf.
And energy savings have been proven to be true...but not hugely significant...yet.

Although not punctual in the modern sense, ancient civilizations adjusted daily schedules to the sun more flexibly than modern DST does, often dividing daylight into twelve equal hours regardless of day length, so that each daylight hour was longer during summer.
For example, Roman water clocks had different scales for different months of the year: at Rome's latitude the third hour from sunrise, hora tertia, started by modern standards at 09:02 solar time and lasted 44 minutes at the winter solstice, but at the summer solstice it started at 06:58 and lasted 75 minutes.[13]
After ancient times, equal-length civil hours eventually supplanted unequal, so civil time no longer varies by season. Unequal hours are still used in a few traditional settings, such as some Mount Athos monasteries and some Jewish ceremonies.

During his time as an American envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin, author of the proverb, "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise", anonymously published a letter suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight.
This 1784 satire proposed taxing shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise. Franklin did not propose DST; like ancient Rome, 18th-century Europe did not keep precise schedules. However, this soon changed as rail and communication networks came to require a standardization of time unknown in Franklin's day.
Modern DST was first proposed by the New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson, whose shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects, and made him aware of the value of after-hours daylight.
In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift, and after considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch, New Zealand he followed up in an 1898 paper.
Many publications incorrectly credit DST's invention to the prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett, who independently conceived DST in 1905 during a pre-breakfast ride, when he observed with dismay how many Londoners slept through a large part of a summer day.
An avid golfer, he also disliked cutting short his round at dusk. His solution was to advance the clock during the summer months, a proposal he published two years later.
As described in Politics below, Willett lobbied unsuccessfully for the proposal in the UK until his death in 1915. Starting on 30 April 1916, Germany, its World War I allies, and their occupied zones were the first European nations to use Willett's invention as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed suit. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year and the United States adopted it in 1918. Since then, the world has seen many enactments, adjustments, and repeals.
Willett's 1907 proposal argued that DST increases opportunities for outdoor leisure
activities during afternoon sunlight hours. The longer days nearer the summer solstice in high latitudes offer more room to shift daylight from morning to evening so that early morning daylight is not wasted.
DST is commonly not observed during most of winter, because its mornings are darker: workers may have no sunlit leisure time, and children may need to leave for school in the dark.
General agreement about the day's layout confers so many advantages that a standard DST schedule usually outranks ad hoc efforts to get up earlier, even for people who personally dislike the DST schedule.
The advantages of coordination are so great that many people ignore whether DST is in effect by altering their nominal work schedules to coordinate with television broadcasts or daylight.
Energy use
DST's potential to save energy comes primarily from its effects on residential lighting, which consumes about 3.5% of electricity in the U.S. and Canada.
Delaying the nominal time of sunset and sunrise reduces the use of artificial light in the evening and increases it in the morning. As Franklin's 1784 satire pointed out, lighting costs are reduced if the evening reduction outweighs the morning increase, as in high-latitude summer when most people wake up well after sunrise. An early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity.
Although energy conservation remains an important goal, energy usage patterns have greatly changed since then, and recent research is limited and reports contradictory results. Electricity use is greatly affected by geography, climate, and economics, making it hard to generalize from single studies.

http://www.photage.ca

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

The new trend is selective copy and paste from wikipedia:

• The U.S. Dept. of Transportation (DOT) concluded in 1975 that DST might reduce the country's electricity usage by 1% during March and April,but the National Bureau
    of Standards
    (NBS) reviewed the DOT study in 1976 and found no significant savings.
  • In 2000 when parts of Australia began DST in late winter, overall electricity consumption did not decrease, but the morning peak load and prices increased.
  • In Western Australia during summer 2006–07, DST increased electricity consumption during hotter days and decreased it during cooler days, with consumption rising 0.6% overall.
  • Although a 2007 study estimated that introducing DST to Japan would reduce household lighting energy consumption,a 2007 simulation estimated that DST would increase overall energy use in Osaka residences by 0.13%, with a 0.02% decrease due to less lighting more than outweighed by a 0.15% increase due to extra cooling; neither study examined non-residential energy use.
  • DST's effect on lighting energy use is noticeable mainly in residences.
  • A 2007 study found that the earlier start to DST that year had little or no effect on electricity consumption in California.
  • A 2007 study estimated that winter daylight saving would prevent a 2% increase in average daily electricity consumption in GreatBtitain.
  • A 2008 study examined billing data in Indiana before and after it adopted DST in 2006, and concluded that DST increased residential electricity consumption by 1% to 4%, primarily due to extra afternoon cooling.
  • The U.S. Dept. of Energy (DOE) concluded in a 2008 report that the 2007 U.S. extension of DST saved 0.5% of electricity usage during the extended period. This report analyzed only the extension, not the full eight months of
    daylight saving, and did not examine the use of heating fuels.

Several studies have suggested that DST increases motor fuel
consumption. The 2008 DOE report found no significant increase in motor gasoline consumption due to the 2007 U.S. extension of DST.[49]Changing clocks and DST rules has a direct economic cost, entailing extra work to support remote meetings, computer applications and the like. For example, a 2007 North American rule change cost an estimated $500 million to $1 billion.

Although it has been argued that clock shifts correlate with decreased economic efficiency, and that in 2000 the daylight-saving effect implied an estimated one-day loss of $31 billion
on U.S. stock exchanges,the estimated numbers depend on the methodology and the results have been disputed. Clock shifts disrupt sleep and reduce its efficiency.
Effects on seasonal adaptation of the circadian rhythm can be severe and last for weeks.
A 2008 study found that although male suicide rates rise in the weeks after the spring transition, the relationship weakened greatly after adjusting for season.
A 2008 Swedish study found that heart attacks were significantly more common the first three weekdays after the spring transition, and significantly less common the first weekday after the autumn transition.
The government of Kazakhstan cited health complications due to
clock shifts as a reason for abolishing DST in 2005.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum