the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Press cancels Sunday home delivery and announces new Sunday edition

+5
EdWin
eastsider
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
Triniman
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Free Press cancels Sunday home delivery and announces new Sunday edition Empty Free Press eyes end to Sunday edition Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I'm a seven-day subscriber and would not be happy about having to to go out to buy the Sunday replacement tabloid. Still, they haven't made any official announcement.
----------
Free Press eyes end to Sunday edition
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/10/09/mb-free-press-tabloid-winnipeg.html

The Winnipeg Free Press is considering cutting its Sunday edition.

CBC News has learned the independently owned newspaper is looking at replacing the Sunday paper with a tabloid that would not be delivered to homes.

The tab, which would be half the size of the regular newspaper and save the company money, would be sold in newspaper boxes and convenience stores. The change could take place as early as Nov. 1, sources close to the Free Press said.

A prototype has been worked on for a month, and a special press run was held Friday, sources said.

The 40-page tabloid is tentatively called On 7. The change is still awaiting approval from the Free Press owners, FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Funny, I was thinking about the Free Press turning into a tabloid format yesterday. This may well be the first step. And it may place a huge impact on the Sun were it to go tabloid everyday.

As for the notion of canceling Sunday delivery it might well be the final straw for me and my 7-day a week subscription also. I'd probably cancel delivery altogether and simply pick up a paper from time to time.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have been thinking of signing up for home delivery, as I have 1 friend saving me the 1st 2 sections of her daily paper, and I have been going into Sals on Saturday to get the "free" Free Press.
Very little to read except the odd very good letter to the editor! lol
I have the press online, but I havent been bothering to access it much lately, and haven't been keeping up with the Globe and mail, but trying to catch up on the weekends.

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

I haven't read a paper paper for years...only time now is when I get an oil change and they give you one while waiting.

On-line is the way to go imo.

With all the papers I read now on-line, it would take up two recycling carts every week if they were paper.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

For me its gotta be on paper, I'm still a tradionalist.Theres nothing like sitting down with your morning coffee and toast and have the paper spread out in front of you. Its just not the same reading it online.
BUT, I will admit though I've discovered newspapers through the net that I would never have read before, I love my NY Times Free Press cancels Sunday home delivery and announces new Sunday edition Icon_smile

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

So what exactly would define a "tabloid" type of paper? The Sun? If so, then wouldn't the FP be classified as a "sophisticated" paper, like the Calgary Herald or the Edmonton Journal?

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The word tabloid specifies a size format.....however the word has become synonymous with trash journalism.....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

With the Free Press it is all about making more money!
If they cancel Sunday, who thinks that they will refund part of the monthly costs?
They probably won't lose any income from ads, as they would move the Sunday Home Section to Saturday?

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Free Press will introduce a new Sunday tabloid edition starting next month to replace the broadsheet version it has produced for the last 24 years.

The new product, to be called "On7," will carry breaking news, sports and entertainment stories and will only be available in vending boxes for $1 or on newsstands and retail outlets for $1.25. It will not be delivered to subscribers’ homes.

FP Newspapers Income Fund, which owns the Free Press, announced the change this afternoon.

But fear not, fans of regular Sunday sections, such as Homes, Books or Perspective. They will be included -- along with Sunday’s puzzles, comics and other features -- in an expanded Saturday paper called the "Free Press Weekend Edition," which will be delivered to subscribers’ doors.

Bob Cox, publisher of the Free Press, said the move is being done to combat falling revenues during the economic downturn of the past year.

"The Free Press will continue to search for ways to improve efficiencies while at the same time preserving the quality of Winnipeg’s best-read daily newspaper," he said.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No surprises here.....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I canceled my subscription this evening after reading this.

I suspect the Free Press has underestimated the fall out and believe Sunday delivery will be returned, but as a tabloid.

How much longer after the Sunday tabloid paper is launched will the rest of the week “go tabloid”?

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Yep, they are trying something new. Goodbye Sunday edition. New thread.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:So what exactly would define a "tabloid" type of paper? The Sun? If so, then wouldn't the FP be classified as a "sophisticated" paper, like the Calgary Herald or the Edmonton Journal?

"Tabloid" type refers to the layout and the size of the newpaper. The FP is folded in half, then folded in half again. Tabloid type papers have one fold and are smaller.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I canceled my subscription this evening after reading this.

I suspect the Free Press has underestimated the fall out and believe Sunday delivery will be returned, but as a tabloid.

How much longer after the Sunday tabloid paper is launched will the rest of the week “go tabloid”?

Just read it online for free. I don't understand the resistance to the format change? They are reducing the size of the paper and eliminating one fold. the paper will be smaller, easier to handle, and will cost less to produce.

I don't read the free press anyhow. An other way to save money is to do a wage freeze or scale back on salaries. Ah but you cant. The unions would not allow it. They could always fold, like the tribune did. Then hire all the former employee's at a new newspaper. Kind of like how the Sun opened up with most of the former Tribune employee's. Minus the Union of course.

Anonymous

Some people may be worried that a tabloid version will be too small and won't be readable on a monitor screen.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'm not resisting the change to tabloid format (from broadsheet). I'm pissed they are cancelling Sunday home delivery.

Ahhh, I've been considering cancelling home delivery for a while anyway. This is sorta' the hair that broke the camel's back...

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I'm not resisting the change to tabloid format (from broadsheet). I'm pissed they are cancelling Sunday home delivery.

Ahhh, I've been considering cancelling home delivery for a while anyway. This is sorta' the hair that broke the camel's back...

Ok. its not the format.

I wish we could go back to afternoon delivery, let the local kids deliver the papers.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah but papers are already 24 hours behind TV and 30 hours behind the internet so for them to have any chance of surviving they MUST be available and ready to go for morning commutes, breakfast and such.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:Some people may be worried that a tabloid version will be too small and won't be readable on a monitor screen.

WHAT?!?!?!?

I know there are some dumb people out there...but that is just a ridiculous comment.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

You must have mistaken me with someone that is serious.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:You must have mistaken me with someone that is serious.

No JTF...we all know there's nothing serious about you Smile)

I didn't say you were ridiculous...I said the comment was.

What someone says is not always an indication of their character Smile

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

It's all good. Wink

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Today is the first Sunday without a paper delivery. I do go out daily on the weekends. But I doubt I'll PAY for their new Sunday rag. Maybe the Sal's will be handing them out for free..

For the last few months one could visit any Salisbury House and pick up a Saturday Free Press for free with any purchase. Yesterday they were still available for free but only with certain purchases.

I canceled my subscription two weeks ago when this all came to a head. I continue to receive daily home delivery. Hmmmmm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum