the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Tom Petty returns to the MTS Centre on June 19, 2010. Joe Cocker will open this show.

I'm not sure if I will go, but I did see him last time,with Steve Winwood opening, and it was excellent.

Tickets are on sale March 8 and the presale is March 3. I don't have a presale password at the moment. Last time, fan club members had unique presale passwords.
Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Tom-petty2

2Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Big Joe Cocker fan. I wonder if he can still put the same energy into his shows as he once did.

3Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Anonymous

Never have been a fan of Tom, Joe is okay saw him in his drunk days at the Convention Center sang the wrong song for the music . Then saw him later in TO was very good as he had sobered up

4Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 am

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Saw Cocker open for the Guess Who about 10 years ago. Good enough show, but wouldn't pay to see it again.

I'm regretting not going last time Petty was in town, as a) I'm a huge Petty fan, and b) Winwood>Cocker by a landslide!

Sad

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

5Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:13 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Another great Tom Petty show at the MTS Centre. Petty can do no wrong. Everything they played was excellent, even the new songs and cover tunes that I wasn't familiar with. Petty started at 9:20 and finished at 11:12. The MTS Centre appeared to be packed. Superlative lead guitar work by longtime Petty axe man Mike Campbell. Songs that he didn't play that I wanted to hear: American Girl and Don't Do Me Like That. Played a Van Morrison and Them cover tune, Mystic Eyes, as well as a very Led Zeppelin-ish Savoy Brown tune, from the pre-Led Zeppelin 60s. One of the new tunes was also Zeppelin-ish in style.

About 30 years ago, I thought Joe Cocker was an old man. Imagine my surprise when I realized that he was still alive and actively touring and is now 66. He's had some up and downs with his career, but backed by a top notch band, he was awesome. He played for 75 minutes, including a four-song encore and it just confirmed for me just how much strong material he has. He played solo material from his first two albums, the Buffy St Marie-penned "Up Where We Belong" (from the films An Officer and A Gentleman), "Unchain My Heart", "With A Little Help From My Friends" and two other Beatles tunes that escape me. At age 66, Cocker still has the pipes and and passion and should be headlining his own tour of smaller venues.

Memo to self: don't wear shorts with sandals to another gig at the MTS Centre. I froze my ass off and was relived to get out of there. Talk about air conditioning.

6Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:42 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Set list: (from Wpg Sun)
Listen to Her Heart
You Don't Know How it Feels
I Won't Back Down
Free Fallin'
Oh Well
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Drivin' Down to Georgia
Breakdown
Jefferson Jericho Blues
First Flash of Freedom
Running Man's Bible
I Should Have Known It
Learning to Fly
Don't Come Around Here No More
Refugee

Encore:
You Wreck Me
Mystic Eyes
Runnin' Down a Dream

7Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 pm

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

I missed about 2/3 of Joe Cocker unfortunately, but what I saw was awesome. That guy has a lot of soul, and belts 'em out probably as well as he ever has.

That was my first time seeing Tom Petty, and I thought it was very good. He could have played longer with all his material, but 2 hours is pretty good, on top of the 1.5 that Joe did.

Only four songs from the new album, which was free for download for anybody who bought a ticket. The new album is definitely not made for radio singles-oriented music, but it has some good tunes on it with some new sounds and melodies that you may not have heard from Petty before. Running Man's Bible is one of those songs.

He did an extended version of Don't Come Around Here No More which is probably my fav Petty tune, and has one of the best drum lines in Rock and Roll. That was followed by Refugee which is one of the best songs in Rock period. The break for the encore was very short, the show in general was no frills ... no big props or fancy lights ... but good solid and spirited music all the way through. Tom seemed really appreciative of the response that he got from the fans. I would not be surprised to see him come back at some point in the future.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

8Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:29 pm

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

That was Cocker's last show on this tour. The remainder of the tour will have the Drive By Truckers (whoever the frick they are), ZZ Top, CS&N, Buddy Guy, or My Morning Jacket. I think we lucked out. :-)

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

9Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Empty Re: Tom Petty - June 19 MTS Centre Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Drive By Truckers are brilliant! CS&N shouldn't be opening for anyone. I've seen Buddy Guy. My Morning Jacket would have been interesting but most people wouldn't have heard of them.
This year's Petty show was similar to the one from two year's ago. He genuinely seemed pleased to be playing and seemed appreciative of the audience response. I'd see him again. If Cocker had a new album, he should headline his own tour.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum