the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Cancels Museum

+4
LivingDead
Goth_chic
Deank
Triniman
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Heritage Minister James Moore had this to say to justify the canceling of the National Portrait Gallery.

“In this time of global economic instability, it is important that the
federal government continue to manage its own affairs prudently and
pragmatically.”

I can think of another museum project that should be canceled for the same reasons, never mind the fact that seven months past the fundraising deadline, they still haven't reached their $105 fund raising goal, a testament to Canadians and Winnipeggers specifically, voting a resounding NO with their wallets.

2Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:21 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ohh but its only a couple hundred million start up
and only 20 some million per year in operating costs... whats the problem?

3Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:38 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Israel's tolerance museum sparks protests

Palestinians march against plans to build on unused Muslim cemetery

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27573350/

now why does MSNBC need to throw "unused" into its headline?

4Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:02 am

Anonymous

To add to the callesnous probaly and sometimes they all wonder why they don't get along. This is the goofiest part of the world and the religions of the area should be ashamed of the things they do there to each other.

5Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 am

Anonymous

Now that Moore has announced the government's intention to not build the Portrait Gallery, surely he can't justify putting money toward something of considerably less significance or need.

My guess is if he was asked today, he would say there are no plans to put money into it currently. In other words, blow it out your ear Aspers.

6Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:47 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Museum for Human Rights is a BIG waste of tax dollars!!! I am all for canceling it.

7Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:01 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:Museum for Human Rights is a BIG waste of tax dollars!!! I am all for canceling it.

Great Idea. I have a better idea.

Why not build this museum at the former site of Auschwitz. It can be a present from Gail Asper to the people of the world. I'm sure poland/germany would foot the bill to maintain the building.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

8Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the 200ish million cost and 22 millionish pear year operating cost would be peanuts compared to the restitutions that Germany pays out annually.

9Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:00 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Waughs donate $1M to rights museum. Read more here.
Seems like peeps continue to pour money here.

10Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:21 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Waughs donate $1M to rights museum. Read more here.
Seems like peeps continue to pour money here.

A tiny minority of Canada's rich and some unions.. The average person continues to say NO with their wallets. It's been over 7 months since their March 31, 2008 deadline...

11Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:01 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Your passion against this museum is stunning. What is it that has you so strongly and passionately railing against this museum? Is it the public money? Is it the theme? Is it the Aspers? Is it the location? The Forks or Winnipeg?

What about this museum touches so on your hot spots?

12Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Maybe it's the name of the place that doesn't attract some peeps.
Winnipeg (and Canada) is well known to have many different nationalities and cultures in it's population, all living together, without the worldwide conflicts affecting them. So where would a human rights museum fit into Winnipeg? For what? Maybe renaming it and giving it another purpose would work out better. Like for example, The International Cultural Museum, would be just an idea, and starting off with the many aboriginal displays, then adding various other cultures as time goes by, and having them enter during special events, so to spark up the interest in the new displays and exhibits.
Just my thought and 3 cents worth...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

13Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Anonymous

It is just Winnipeg I find we have to lose the movie shoot for the trees . This city is stuck in some waste land of we are never good enough or we can't afford it , or Edmonton has one .

For once people we might have something good not that debate is bad but for once people get behind the city . Also embarrasing Regina sold out there game well we just about did but as always we fell short.

14Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:10 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Your passion against this museum is stunning. What is it that has you so strongly and passionately railing against this museum? Is it the public money? Is it the theme? Is it the Aspers? Is it the location? The Forks or Winnipeg?

What about this museum touches so on your hot spots?

What's stunning is the lack of fairness surrounding this project. Has the media coverage been fair and balanced, like what we have seen for other large projects that involve huge sums of tax dollars? Nope. Has Gail Asper ever made herself available to the media to justify the project as a spending priority for scarce tax dollars? Nope.

I believe in fairness. Do you?

15Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:18 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I sure do. The biggest problem with this museum is the stigma behind any political figure opposing it.

16Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Fairness? Care to elaborate?

17Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:10 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Fairness? Care to elaborate?
I just did and always have.

18Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:11 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I guess I just don't get it.

19Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How is it fair that this project recieves to little scrutiny. Thats where the fairness comes in.

20Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:38 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Thanks for the clarity. I'd say scrutiny is a subjective thing no? This project has been on the books now for how long? I was not around Winnipeg at the time so I've no idea how much public scrutiny it received then.

Would it make everyone happier if this was discussed more in the MSM? Would it make any difference?

21Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:17 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How about an actual discussion on it in ANY level of government without the politicians involved rolling over like sheep?

That would have been nice.

22Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:33 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

new rights museum to be green.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/4249063p-4892479c.html

"The board of trustees is still considering building options and the details of the building have not yet been decided."

but note the...
"How environmentally friendly the new $300-million museum will be took centre ..."

umm please tell me thats a reporter misquote on the value of the museum.

23Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Thanks for the clarity. I'd say scrutiny is a subjective thing no? This project has been on the books now for how long? I was not around Winnipeg at the time so I've no idea how much public scrutiny it received then.

Would it make everyone happier if this was discussed more in the MSM? Would it make any difference?
The MSM applies journalistic scrutiny to the proposed new football stadium, the debate over saving the Jets, and then the debate over building a new downtown arena, etc. Discussion and debate is healthy. It engages people and ultimately benefits everyone. Cheerleading a project without critical debate and discussion is a disservice to the community, and it's morally repugnant especially when the project involves hundreds of millions of tax dollars, regardless of the spin-off benefits with construction jobs, etc. We have yet to see them publish a business plan. Why isn't the media demanding this? What are they afraid of? Where did this $300 million figure come from? Without a doubt, the project remains too vague for many people to care about, pro or con. You haven't been here since the project was initially going to be a holocaust museum, but many of us have followed it closely since day 1.

24Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Anonymous

The MSM have been careful to report on this project because of the Aspers and their influences in numerous circles.

Originally, Izzy wanted a holocaust museum as a tribute to himself. (Jews would certainly contribute to such a thing).

After he died, the project morphed into whatever it is now, some undefineable message board for whomever controls the Board, but always remains a tribute to Izzy.

I say we have better things to spend money on.

If we have hundreds of painting sitting in storage and have decided to cancel a building to house them in, can the cancellation of this silly project be far behind? I sure hope so.

25Ottawa Cancels Museum Empty Re: Ottawa Cancels Museum Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"can the cancellation of this silly project be far behind? I sure hope so"

you mean you sure hope its not far behind right?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum