the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

This is a thread to discuss arguably the greatest hockey team in the NHL. I will start this thread by introducing all of you to a man that is the hear and soul of the Flames:

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Random_key_89127_file_iginla.jerome.1

Jerome Iginla!!!!

Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

Anonymous

and of course let's not forget....

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Nhl_g_kiprusoff1_600

Mikka Kiprusoff!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I agree. Calgary is the greast hockey team in the NHL. But Pittsburgh is the greatest.

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

NO WAY. HABS ALL THE WAY!

Anonymous

Let's not forget the huge monster....

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Dion%20Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf!!!

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Elisha-cuthbert

Let's not forget he is currenty doing the naughty with Elisha Cuthbert.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Bartron wrote:NO WAY. HABS ALL THE WAY!
Well, now I'm gonna have to permanently ban you. Ewwww. Psssftt. Ucgh.

Oh, BTW, the Winnipeg JETS historically are the bestest ever team in the NHL of all time.

Anonymous

Some Calgary Flames alumni:

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread 320_cp24_fleury_filer

Theo Fleury (1988-1999)

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Nieuwen

Joe Nieuwendyk (1986-1995)

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Mike_vernon

Mike Vernon (1982-1994)

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread MacInnis01

Al MacInnis (1982-1994)

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread 000546074

Gary Suter (1985-1994)

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Roberts-gary-090310

Gary Roberts(1986-1996)

Anonymous

and the most famous Flame ever....

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread TenLannyC

Lanny McDonald (1981-1989)

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Theo Fleury is a loser...

Anonymous

Goth_chic wrote:Theo Fleury is a loser...

I'm not sure what makes him a loser. He was sexually abused by his coach in junior hockey for years. It's amazing that he was strong enough to become a star player in the NHL. Sheldon Kennedy was not as fortunate.

1 Stanley Cup
1 Gold Medal
1 Best selling book

He's accomplished quite a fair amount in his life...

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Fleury’s hardships and personal demons have been no secret in recent years. The crafty forward spent more than 10 productive seasons as a star with the Calgary Flames. Things spiralled out of control during the past few seasons. Fleury missed dozens of games due to voluntary and forced stints in the league’s substance-abuse program. He struggled through a 2001-02 campaign littered with bizarre incidents, including a fight with a team mascot and an obscene gesture to a fan.
He missed the first 25 contests of 2002-03 for violating terms of his aftercare program and was involved in a mid-season strip club fracas during the least productive season of his 15-year NHL career. The latest insult: he was waived by the Chicago Blackhawks last season and remained unclaimed.

I met him back in the 90's and he was a drunken idiot who liked to grab alot if ya know what I mean.

We all have our demons but some of us know how to deal with it.

Anonymous

Well it finally looks like he has conquored his demons. He has been sober for 4 years and is now married. Hopefully he will lead a productive life outside hockey.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

The Shames lick balls. Go Oilers and Go Jets (when they come back in about 2-3 years)

Anonymous

Goth_chic wrote:

I met him back in the 90's and he was a drunken idiot who liked to grab alot if ya know what I mean.

Sounds like Alex Reid.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Who is Alex Reid?

Anonymous

FLAMES DESTROY LEAFS!!!!!!!

TORONTO (AP) -Calgary coach Brent Sutter was not happy even after the Flames' 5-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night.
"Yeah, I'm (upset)," Sutter said Saturday. "I wasn't pleased at all tonight."

Jarome Iginla scored two goals and Miikka Kiprusoff made 38 saves to lift the Flames.
"The positives here tonight is that we got two points, our goaltender played very well, the captain scored two goals and we got a goal on our power play," Sutter said. "Other than that, it's wasn't a great game on our behalf. We were fortunate to get a win."

Eric Nystrom, Dustin Boyd and Jay Bouwmeester also had goals for the Flames, who rebounded from a 2-1 shootout loss on Friday.
Francois Beauchemin and Matt Stajan scored for Toronto, which has earned just four points in nine home games (1-6-2) this season.
Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson was left to explain his team's latest loss.

"At the end of the day, you say it's too much Iginla and too much Kiprusoff," he said.
Iginla and Nystrom scored 16 seconds apart in the first 1:37 - a pair of goals that starting goalie Jonas Gustavsson probably should have stopped.
That left Toronto trailing 2-0 for the ninth time in 18 games this season.

Beauchemin soon started Toronto on the comeback trail. Niklas Hagman was screening Kiprusoff when Beauchemin one-timed a point shot into the net at 5:24 of the first.

However, Boyd followed up on his own blocked shot and backhanded the puck past Gustavsson at 9:54. That prompted Leafs coach Ron Wilson to replace his rookie goalie with Vesa Toskala, who had a good effort during the team's 3-2 loss in Chicago a night earlier.

Toskala seemed to help calm things down and Toronto carried much of the play for the next 30 minutes, outshooting the Flames 20-4 in the second period.

"They really bounced back," Kiprusoff said. "The second period, we weren't ready for that."
Only one of those shots, a backhanded rebound by Stajan, got behind Kiprusoff.
Kiprusoff has allowed just five goals in his past five starts and is a big reason Calgary ended its three-game road trip with a victory. He sprawled his left arm out to take the tying goal off Mikhail Grabovski's stick late in the second period and turned away Hagman from in-close in the third.

"Thank goodness he was there," Flames defenseman Robyn Regehr said of Kiprusoff. "I thought for most of the first period and all the second period, they were the better team.
"He made great saves. I can't say enough good things about him, he had a tremendous game."
By that point, Iginla had provided his goaltender with a bit more cushion. The Flames' captain scored his 11th of the season after roaring down the right wing and beating Toskala high at 2:30 of the third period, giving Calgary a 4-2 lead.

Calgary eventually turned it on during the third period and got a goal from Bouwmeester.
Notes: Defenseman Carl Gunnarson played his first career NHL game for Toronto ... Leafs forward Phil Kessel and Flames forward David Moss are cousins ... Calgary has opened the scoring in 15 of its 18 games ... The Leafs warmed up in retro jerseys.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahhh, it does me heart good to see the Maple Laffs struggle so mightily...

Anonymous

Just a quick update.....

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread 306-kiprusoff-091127

Flames move into 1st place in the Northwes after a 3-0 win in Detroit!

Anonymous

The Official Calgary Flames 2009-10 Thread Capt.369d9f62c36648d7832fc6c47b31ccef.flames_blue_jackets_hockey_ohpv107

Just a quick update.

Calgary 5 Nashville 0

Flames win again. This time they demolish the red hot Nashville Predators. The Preds were 8-2 in their last 10 games, until they ran into the Mikka "The Big Red Machine" Kiprusoff. Kipper has back to back shoutouts. I don't think it's premature to take of another Vezina trophy to add to his collection.

The Flames are simply awesome.

Anonymous

Red-hot Flames burn Sharks 2-1
Sunday, 12.06.2009
John Kreiser - NHL.com

The Flames improved to 11-2-3 away from the Pengrowth Saddledome with a 2-1 victory over the San Jose Sharks on Saturday night. Daymond Langkow broke a tie with a goal 3:36 into the third period, and former Shark Miikka Kiprusoff made 35 saves.

Kiprusoff's best stop came during a Sharks power play late in the second period with the score tied at 1-1. Scott Nichol looked like he had the go-ahead goal when the rebound of his shot bounced over a sprawled Kiprusoff's skate, but the Finnish netminder knocked the puck away with the heel of his skate.

"I saw it hit my glove and I knew it was right there," Kiprusoff said. "It can go anywhere when you kick it like that, and this time it went into the corner."

Kiprusoff has been playing some of the best hockey of his career.

"He's played like that all year. He's really enjoying it, he's on his game. He's fun to watch, he's always competing in there. He loves it," captain Jarome Iginla told CBC's Hockey Night in Canada of Kiprusoff, who has beaten his old team in 11 of 19 meetings. "The defense and him are playing so well, playing so well together."

The Flames are now 4-1-0 on a six-game trip that concludes Monday in Los Angeles. Their play on the road this season is quite an improvement for a team that went 19-20-2 away from home in 2008-09.

"I think part of is confidence and part of it is rolling," Iginla said. "From the start of game, we're showing more composure."

Not surprisingly for a meeting between two of the Western Conference's top teams, there was plenty of hitting (36 hits apiece), some good scoring chances (35 shots each) and excellent goaltending.

"That was a hell of a game, almost a playoff game," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. "Unfortunately we made one mistake in the third period, and they scored."

The mistake came when Langkow was left alone in the slot while Rene Bourque won the puck behind the San Jose net. Bourque found him, and Langkow ripped a one-timer from 20 feet past Evgeni Nabokov's glove to break a 1-1 tie.

The Sharks' best chance to tie came about 80 seconds later when Nichol fired a shot that beat Kiprusoff but clanged off the crossbar.

"This was a game that both teams needed goaltending, and got it," Flames coach Brent Sutter said. "They both made big saves. The one by Kipper was unbelievable. The puck is heading into the net and he throws a foot up to knock it out."

It was the second home loss in three nights for the Sharks, who blew a late lead to St. Louis on Thursday and lost in a shootout.

"It was a back-and-forth game, a playoff kind of game," Nichol said. "It was like two big bulls going at it. You had to battle for every inch of ice."

After a scoreless first period, San Jose went ahead 4:40 into the second when Ryan Clowe swatted home the rebound of Dan Boyle's shot an instant before Kiprusoff could cover the puck. Clowe, who got off to a slow start this season, now has 5 goals and 10 points in his last nine games and 19 points in his last 19 games.

The lead lasted only until 10:28, when Olli Jokinen beat Evgeni Nabokov with a sizzler from inside the left circle. Jokinen's shot appeared to tick off Nichol's stick and zipped over the goaltender's glove.

"We had chances," Sharks center Joe Pavelski said. "Both goalies were very good. We just didn't get the one we needed."

Material from wire services and team media was used in this report

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020426&navid=sb:recap

Anonymous

I don't know what to say. Despite a very talented lineup, the Flames have been awful the past month. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum