the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time change side effects

+4
Freeman
Electrician
grumpy old man
FlyingRat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Time change side effects Empty Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:02 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Did anyone have any side effects from the time change, besides the extra hour of sleep (unless you are a stickler for accuracy, and stayed up until 2am to change the clocks!)

I found out that my cell phone does not automatically update the time (I changed the daylight savings setting in 'World Clock' but apparently that does not update the clock! So I was up and at 'em this morning at almost ready to go out the door when I realized my cell phone (which i use as an alarm clock) was an hour behind the rest of the clocks in the house! Required a reboot of the phone to synch up with the actual time, and I went back to bed for an hour this morning.

Also some software problems adjusting to the new time. Dreamweaver in particular kept crashing. finally got it fixed.

2Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:26 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

My cell changed okay. I just need to learn how to change the phone in my car. There should be a standard/protocol for this. All clocks should be the same. Dammit!

3Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Do you mean the clock in your car?

4Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:33 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yes, that is what I said... Embarassed

5Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

My guess:
His car clock broke down, so he bought a cell phone to replace it... confused

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

6Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why would you buy a new car just because the clock broke? Thats just dumb.

7Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh...dont forget he is a millionaire from this site so maybe he can afford to buy a new car everytime something goes wrong. Overkill would be buying a new one every time you run out of gas.

8Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

...especially if it's electric...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

9Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:00 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Take a look at the times you post your messages today and see how the time change has affected everything.  Damn Yankees for changing the times when we change from Daylight to Standard time. No thought process on how this would affect those who live farther north from say Chicago.  

10Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:10 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

...watching sunset at 5pm..... wow nice one today

11Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:24 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The sunset was in my eyes whilst driving home. Not so nice...

12Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:27 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

oops guess the time change thing has finally cought up with this site now.  this morning it was still an hour ahead.

13Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:32 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

holly golightly wrote:oops guess the time change thing has finally cought up with this site now.  this morning it was still an hour ahead.
Or were you posting from the future?

14Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:34 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

holly golightly wrote:oops guess the time change thing has finally cought up with this site now.  this morning it was still an hour ahead.
Now I get it. Didn't clue in right away. Heh heh. At least one other site has not caught on as yet. And Brodbeck's site is always on eastern time.

15Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

holly golightly wrote:Take a look at the times you post your messages today and see how the time change has affected everything. Damn Yankees for changing the times when we change from Daylight to Standard time. No thought process on how this would affect those who live farther north from say Chicago.

Hey...can't blame the Americans for this one.

Yes, they implemented it...but it was introduced by Canadians.

http://www.photage.ca

16Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ummm??? what do you mean but it was implemented by the Canadians?

This most recent change was 100% because of moronic Americans. Canadians had a choice, follow suit..or have really fricked up time zones.

17Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:08 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I know that the smartest people on earth invented the idea of standard and daylight savings time many years ago but it was the Americans (Bush to be exact) who changed the dates when the time change would happen. A few years ago the time change usually happened on or around the last weekend in October as I remember the little kids would be out in the dark on Halloween at 5:30 and this year it was still kind of light out. Bush's crazy idea of saving energy because it would stay lighter longer if daylight savings time went a little longer.
Below is a small excerpt from an article on cbc.ca.

"Time change: springing forward, falling back

Last Updated: Friday, October 31, 2008 | 1:13 PM ET

CBC News

Schedule changed to save energy

In Canada, it's up to each province to decide whether to use daylight time, and not all do. As of 2007, with a few exceptions, most jurisdictions in Canada and the U.S. have been moving their clocks ahead by one hour on the second Sunday in March and back by one hour on the first Sunday in November.
Legislation in the United States moved the start of daylight time three weeks earlier in the spring and the return to standard time a week later in the fall. The change was aimed at trying to help save energy, since people aren't expected to need their lights on as early in the evening. But there is still some debate about whether the change reduces energy consumption.
A 2006 report from the U.S. Department of Energy anticipated electricity savings of four-tenths of a per cent per day of extended daylight savings time, totalling 0.03 per cent of annual electricity consumption."

18Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:11 am

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Damn  those environMENTALists. They screwed up everything.

19Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

To be fair...Al Gore proposed the change before he left Vice-Presidential Office...Bush just implemented it.

And my apologies for claiming DST was invented by Canadians...it was Standard Time that was.

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/d.html

It had to do with the railroads.

DST had been proposed a couple of times (most notably by Benjamin Franklin), but was not implemented until the US did so.

http://www.photage.ca

20Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

to be real fair... dumbasses in the 1970s came up with the extended hours, during the last energy crisis.

21Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:29 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
And my apologies for claiming DST was invented by Canadians...it was Standard Time that was..
this is why I am here as opposed to brodbeck's blog as people here are willing to admit they may be wrong. thank you for being honest.

22Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:59 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

OK, if everyone thinks they're so smart, why does Saskatchewan not switch to Daylight Savings Time?

23Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:00 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have never made a misteak holly. So I never apologizze.

24Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:01 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I would rather we not switch anymore either. So I say Saskatchewan is right.

25Time change side effects Empty Re: Time change side effects Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:44 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:OK, if everyone thinks they're so smart, why does Saskatchewan not switch to Daylight Savings Time?
Simple answer is that they don't know how to do it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum