the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Planning and Developing Winnipeg

+4
EdWin
AGEsAces
Freeman
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Planning and Developing Winnipeg Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:12 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Seems we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

From the Sun: Hotel plans irk neighbours

A planned Polo Park-area water playland appears to have spurred a hotel development a few blocks away at a vacant industrial site.

The proposal for a six-storey hotel -- possibly a Holiday Inn -- has been pitched by a developer for a 5.25-acre tract on Ellice Avenue's 1300 block across from a Cabela's sporting goods outlet.

Some residents of the area, however, say they don't want it near their homes. Donna Dunn said she fears the inn would bring more traffic to Ellice, which she argues is clogged enough already due to Cabela's and an adjacent Dollarama outlet.

"I can't even get out of my back lane as it is. Ellice can't handle all the traffic. You take your life in your hands coming out of that back lane," Dunn said, adding "all the drinking and stuff" at the hotel would be disruptive. "No one is happy with any change. Put a park there and then we'll be happy."

The city's board of adjustment will review the plan Nov. 5. A public information session will be held tomorrow from 2-4 p.m. at nearby Clifton Community Centre so anyone interested "can see what the project is all about," Thomas said.

Coun. Harvey Smith, whose Daniel McIntyre ward includes the site, is also seeking information after learning about it late last week.

"We don't know too much," Smith said.

I have to say it is wondrous developers even bother.

2planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The best line is "Put a park there and then we'll be happy." Stupid woman. Do parks employ people, do parks pay taxes?

Harvey Smith says "We don't know too much". Seems to be Harvey's campagin slogan.

3planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:59 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It's terrific that Harvey recognizes his limitations!

4planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:11 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I frequent that area. The REAL reason it's a nightmare in that section is because so many drivers are IDIOTS and don't know how to drive.

There's a NO LEFT TURN on Empress at Ellice...but morons STILL try to turn there.

There's a NO LEFT TURN heading East on Ellice into the PetSmart driveway...but losers STILL try to turn there.

There's a NO LEFT TURN coming out of the PetSmart driveway onto Ellice...but rejects from the slow bus STILL insist on turning left.

If you come to that area and you hear horns honking...there's a GOOD chance you're doing something WRONG!!! So check yourself and learn to drive.

<<< rant ends here...for now.

http://www.photage.ca

5planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Edwin. I believe that the key word there is planning.

Without proper planning, as has been the case here in Winnipeg, development has occurred in such a manner so as to make public transit, rapid or not, very expensive to service all the outlinning areas that have sprung up. Development has not happened in already serviced areas but in the boonies.

Winnipeg has historically bent over for developers and that ain't about to change.

Proper developments should take into account such things as future schools, libraries, and bus service too, but they presently don't even factor in road clearing for goodness sake.

But...that's Winnipeg...so desperate for development that we are easily manipulated by these carpetbaggers.
Resently, there have been some great developments in this city that are taking into account the planning aspect. It's not all doom and gloom, you know. For instance, there is the Fort Rouge Yards development that will soon start construction on the first transit-oriented residential development in Winnipeg. http://fortrougeyards.com/ These types of high-density developments are built to accomodate people near mass transit lines, allowing for the option of using public transit to get to their destinations rather than using their car. We have several of these kinds of developments here in Edmonton, of which Century Park is the best example, consisting of several low, mid and highrise condo and appartment towers right along the new south LRT line. Calgary's Victoria Park Development (I think this is it's name) at Stampede Park is another example of this. These kinds of developments are sprouting up all over the place along mass transit lines to encourage high density living, instead of mass sprawling suburbian living. Isn't this good planning?
Dennistoun Flats and Heritage Landing are some more recent condo/appartment developments in Winnipeg that have visually appealing designs, not normally seen in Winnipeg. Granted we have a long way to go, but finally the city is encouraging decent developments in this city. I believe that more will follow as a result.

6planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:33 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's absolutely right edwin. That's the kind of development I'd like to see along a transit corridor.

Good post.

7planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Anonymous

Dennistoun Flats (on Roslyn Road for those that haven't heard of it) was in the works for years I believe and isn't near, nor is it being built, as a result of any transit considerations, and I don't believe that Heritage Landing is either.

I must say that two buildings, both of which had nothing to do with being encouraged by the city, is only considered a 'building/developement boom' in Winnipeg. Wink

Are there any working cranes left here?

8planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:45 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Dennistoun Flats (on Roslyn Road for those that haven't heard of it) was in the works for years I believe and isn't near, nor is it being built, as a result of any transit considerations, and I don't believe that Heritage Landing is either.

I must say that two buildings, both of which had nothing to do with being encouraged by the city, is only considered a 'building/developement boom' in Winnipeg. Wink

Are there any working cranes left here?
No, Dennistoun Flats nor Heritage Landing are transit orientated development. But are high-density developments, both of which have been approved and are set to have construction begin sometime this year. Isn't this what many in Winnipeg are crying out for, infill and high density housing, instead of suburban sprawl? And I thought you didn't want Winnipeg to "boom"? I thought you wanted it hidden in the back where no one could notice it? As I never said anything about "boom" (for whatever reason, some are very scared of this term), you should be very content with these kinds of positive developments Wink

9planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:56 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Dennistoun Flats (on Roslyn Road for those that haven't heard of it) was in the works for years I believe and isn't near, nor is it being built, as a result of any transit considerations, and I don't believe that Heritage Landing is either.
Dennistoun Flats is about to start. I dare say though it was developed due to the very high density nature of the area.

I don't believe edwin was using Dennistoun Flats to illustrate development due to rapid transit.

JTF wrote:Are there any working cranes left here?
Other than the Museum?

JTF wrote:I must say that two buildings, both of which had nothing to do with being encouraged by the city, is only considered a 'building/developement boom' in Winnipeg. Wink
There are many projects underway and in development. Much more than we've seen here in a very long time. Most are condos and 55+ developments. But a few rental apartment projects are in development.

10planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:46 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Condos and +55 - that's a good sign for you GOM!
Who says development is a good sign? That is the problem with everyone's thinking!
As long as the rentals under $1250 per month are under rent control, no one builds. The NDP government has screwed up the low end rental, and we don't need apartments in "our area", attitude has prevented some new projects from being built, and we have a problem?
So who has a problem? Anyone on this forum have a problem?
Any development in any area gets 1/2 of Winnipeg down to City hall, bitching and complaining!
This keeps JTF's apartment full and that is all that is important to us! He has worked hard to keep things in order!

http://www.elansofas.com

11planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:12 am

Anonymous

What bullshit. Fort Rouge Yards could have been developed without BRT. In fact as is, Transit can handle whatever you build anywhere in Winnipeg without adding billions for BRT builds.Between bike paths and this idiotic BRT I think we've made traffic worse in the peg, and we won't even talk about the size of the carbon foot print increasing by concentrating ourselves at the UofM and further out into the boonies.

Making a case for TOD is pure crap in Winnipeg since BRT isn't anything more than what we have. And this is your idea of being "progressive" ? LOL, send your cheque in the form of transfer payments, we will need all the money we can get

12planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:33 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Livio- are you posting from New York or from Winnipeg?
If Wpg then get down to sals for 8 AM and buy GOM and myself a coffee. Better yet get on this thread and tell me you'll pick me up at 745 and we'll go down there together/
If you are in New York? then you're nuts to be there. If you are in a warm place , put some warm air in a bottle and bring it back to Wpg.

13planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:36 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Livio Ciaralli wrote:What bullshit.
How pleasant. How totally in character.

Livio Ciaralli wrote:Fort Rouge Yards could have been developed without BRT. In fact as is, Transit can handle whatever you build anywhere in Winnipeg without adding billions for BRT builds.Between bike paths and this idiotic BRT I think we've made traffic worse in the peg, and we won't even talk about the size of the carbon foot print increasing by concentrating ourselves at the UofM and further out into the boonies.
You see anyone say anything to the contrary here? Of course it could. What's your point? To prove you can be an asshat? Guess what? You succeeded.

Livio Ciaralli wrote:Making a case for TOD is pure crap in Winnipeg since BRT isn't anything more than what we have. And this is your idea of being "progressive" ? LOL, send your cheque in the form of transfer payments, we will need all the money we can get
So you disagree. Great. Can you do it by presenting your view without all the bombastic hyperbole?

Chillax sport.

14planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 am

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
Livio Ciaralli wrote:Fort Rouge Yards could have been developed without BRT. In fact as is, Transit can handle whatever you build anywhere in Winnipeg without adding billions for BRT builds.Between bike paths and this idiotic BRT I think we've made traffic worse in the peg, and we won't even talk about the size of the carbon foot print increasing by concentrating ourselves at the UofM and further out into the boonies.

You see anyone say anything to the contrary here? Of course it could. What's your point?

For instance, there is the Fort Rouge Yards development that will soon start construction on the first transit-oriented residential development in Winnipeg. http://fortrougeyards.com/

...and speaking of which...isn't this development on the wrong side of the tracks to be connected to, or considered as, transit oriented? The tracks cut the development off from the new corridor and, little effort has been made to address roads and sewers for this added population I've heard.

15planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:55 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't know. I thought the new development was somehow connected to the new transit station in that area. I knew it was being touted as the first development to latch its star to the BRT.

Marketing maybe?

16planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous

ooo asshat and sport in one post. YOu are outdoing yourself GOM., Besides "bullshit" is a perfectly legit word to use when a few try to cheerlead cons being perpetuated under our collective noses.

And whats your problem with bombastic.? Besides, that drip Edwin brings out the best in me ( I remember this schmuck from NewWinnipeg ), Mr. I don't care if you lived there and experienced it, just show me facts Pavosofullofshit comes in a close second.

As for being on the wrong side of the tracks , lol, JTF, does that surprise you ? It's not like its an inconvenience or something. I don't know (lol ). I'm sorry, but from where i come from, this TOD is just to funny to even continue to discuss.

17planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Anonymous

TSK TSK resort to insults better get better then that if you want to be a politician . You forget some day it may come back to haunt you .

18planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous

LOL Pavolo,. BOOOOOOOO.

19planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:38 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What is the matter with you "guys"? So depressing to have to see mutual friends argue over fast bus service for no one who posts on the forum!
Will anyone who takes a bus, please tell us what route you take and how long it takes you and how much time will be saved with any form of rapid transit?
I predict that ZERO time will be saved, but $300,000,000 will be spent, keeping this project in line with all 3 governments spending habits.
Lots of spending/ and zero benefits

20planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous

Rosie , come on son, why are you so pessimistic.

300 Million, jeez, that number does not sound right. I suspect more like 4 Billion plus for a City wide inefficient system.

21planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:I don't know. I thought the new development was somehow connected to the new transit station in that area. I knew it was being touted as the first development to latch its star to the BRT.

Marketing maybe?

Heh. Maybe the developers, and the city, used that excuse to push the project through.

Adding that many people to an area that is not close to a major artery is foolish imo.

22planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:19 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Livio Ciaralli wrote:What bullshit. Fort Rouge Yards could have been developed without BRT. In fact as is, Transit can handle whatever you build anywhere in Winnipeg without adding billions for BRT builds.Between bike paths and this idiotic BRT I think we've made traffic worse in the peg, and we won't even talk about the size of the carbon foot print increasing by concentrating ourselves at the UofM and further out into the boonies.

Making a case for TOD is pure crap in Winnipeg since BRT isn't anything more than what we have. And this is your idea of being "progressive" ? LOL, send your cheque in the form of transfer payments, we will need all the money we can get
"Making a case for TOD is pure crap in Winnipeg since BRT isn't anything more than what we have. And this is your idea of being "progressive" ?" I will agree with you on this point. As stated before, I've never been a strong booster for BRT. I've seen it in Calgary, and it's nothing more than a glorified bus route on street. However, in Calgary they are not building seperate corridors that can be converted to LRT, unlike in Winnipeg. To me, at least, this shows that there will be initiative for conversion in the future. Sprawl will happen in every city whether you like it or not. Since you are such a die-hard opponent to mass transit, what is your opinion on how transit should be handled in Winnipeg? Based on your posts dripping with anger, I have no doubt that you are dying to share.

23planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Anonymous

Heh. Maybe the developers, and the city, used that excuse to push the project through.

They did. Thought process ends, Land swap accomplished. Too bad Waverley West was shut down to shed some light on this deal.

24planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:26 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Livio Ciaralli wrote: Besides, that drip Edwin brings out the best in me ( I remember this schmuck from NewWinnipeg ), Mr. I don't care if you lived there and experienced it, just show me facts Pavosofullofshit comes in a close second.
Wow. Someone is bitter and cranky as heck. If this is the best that we can expect from you, Livio, then I guess you are demonstrating to the members and guests on this forum that you aren't able to handle people with differing opinions from your own, and would likely not make a very good candidate to represent the public, from which there will surly be MANY differing opinions on a variety of subject matter.

25planning - Planning and Developing Winnipeg Empty Re: Planning and Developing Winnipeg Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous

Edwin, don't worry about my run for office. i pay for it myself, i express my opinions and that is that. I don't need to "lie" to get a vote, which is probably exactly the thing that gets your vote.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum