the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

A warning to anyone planning on doing Reno's

+2
EdWin
Not_Too_Slow
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Not_Too_Slow

Not_Too_Slow

PUBLIC ADVISORY - Beware of Home Improvement Scams
Winnipeg, July 29, 2009 - The Winnipeg Police, Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) and the Manitoba Consumers’ Bureau advises home owners, especially those in the Winnipeg and surrounding areas that unlicensed, contractors are operating in the province, some of whom are unauthorized to work in Canada.

In recent weeks, the Winnipeg Police, CBSA and Consumers’ Bureau have been actively seeking to disrupt the operations of these "contractors" who have taken advantage of unsuspecting homeowners around Winnipeg. Recently, CBSA and the Winnipeg Police have arrested 1 foreign national for working in Canada without authorization. Two others are currently being sought. The Winnipeg Police Commercial Crime Unit also holds an

Arrest warrant for one other individual for charges stemming under the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Acts.

Scam artists, known in enforcement circles as the "travellers" usually come through Manitoba this time of year, sometimes operating in rural communities. A typical sales pitch is that they are working in the neighbourhood and can offer a reduced rate on a particular job. The work may be of poor quality and the consumer ends up paying considerably more to fix the shoddy outcome.

Education, prevention and consumer awareness are the best ways to deal with unscrupulous contractors. Investigations after the fact may not have successful outcomes; these individuals typically stay in a community for only a short time, making it difficult for police to identify, locate and where evidence can be obtained, charge them. It is important for homeowners to know their rights and the protections t

• If approached by a door-to-door salesperson, ask to see their direct seller’s licence. If the salesperson cannot produce a valid license, write down the person’s name and the name and address of the company represented and contact the Consumers’ Bureau.
• Ask for and check references in order to verify the quality of a contractor’s work.
• Get written quotes from at least three suppliers outlining the work to be done, materials to be supplied, labour specifications, total cost and cost breakdown, amount of deposit required and start and completion dates.
• Read the whole contract before signing and keep a copy of it. If something is unclear, consider contacting a lawyer for advice before signing the contract, especially if the cost of the contract is substantial.

The Manitoba Consumers’ Bureau investigates complaints about unlicensed direct sellers, high-pressure sales tactics, poor quality products and workmanship, contracts for unnecessary work and scams. If you need further information or advice, contact the Bureau at 945-3800 or toll-free at 1-800-782-0067
A copy of the Bureau’s brochure called “Home Improvements Sold by Direct Sellers” can be found on the Bureau’s website at http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/cca/consumb/pdf/HomeImprovmts.pdf .
If you have information about suspicious cross-border activity, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency's Border Watch Line at 1-888-502-9060.

If you feel that you have been a victim of activities addressed in this advisory or if you have information about individuals who may be responsible for such activities, you are encouraged to contact the Consumers’ Bureau, the Winnipeg Police Service or Crime Stoppers at 786-TIPS (8477).

Not_Too_Slow

Not_Too_Slow

P.S the WPS sent out this email, thought it would okay to post as it is a legit scam that is effecting winnipeg.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

If everything goes right, I think I will be purchasing a condo in a week or two. The only think it needs is a fresh coat of paint on the walls. Otherwise everything else has been reno'd. But it's good info to have if I ever need to reno again.

Last edited by EdWin on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

In Phoenix? Winnipeg? Edmonton? off topic

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:In Phoenix? Winnipeg? Edmonton? off topic

Likely Edmonton due to the high and complicated tax laws for non-residents in the States, but we'll see. And I don't think it's really off topic IMHO.

Last edited by EdWin on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

EdWin wrote:The only think it needs is a fresh coat of pain on the walls.

A fresh coat of PAIN?! Cool, I gotta get ahold of your decorator, some of that would look nice in my living room.

Incidentally, good luck with the condo thing, hope it goes well for you.

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Airt Mattrèssor wrote:
EdWin wrote:The only think it needs is a fresh coat of pain on the walls.

A fresh coat of PAIN?! Cool, I gotta get ahold of your decorator, some of that would look nice in my living room.

Incidentally, good luck with the condo thing, hope it goes well for you.

Yikes, corrected for the sake of not looking like rosencrentz! Smile

Thanks, btw!

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

No prob - I've been eyeing a condo myself. Been tempted to throw in a bid on one myself, but don't think I can swing the finances...

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

"the only think it needs is a fresh coat of pain" Wow that is a classic! And no help from Pav!! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Not_Too_Slow

Not_Too_Slow

A fresh coat of pain always looks good... Keeps the door to door's away! Very Happy

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

You know it! I'm also planning to invite PETA over to "help" me "decorate"! Evil or Very Mad

cherenkov

cherenkov
contributor plus
contributor plus

Baby seal pain is especially good for exterior walls.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deal with firms that are in the phone book, and get referrals and phone them to confirm! Allways ask if .... is home so you know you aren't phoning their mama!

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum