the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sorry but I have to bring this up... Surprised it hasn't been yet...

+3
Deank
grumpy old man
Not_Too_Slow
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Not_Too_Slow

Not_Too_Slow

Yep... so Katz vs. Dave Chomiuck (SP?)... you know, the NDP dude.

I tried to find a story about how Dave tried to high jack the WPS from Katz. But none of the media outlets seem to have picked it up, which I find suspectious.

If I find anything, I will post it.

Not_Too_Slow

Not_Too_Slow

It looks like Winnipeg's auto-theft experts won't be shifting their attention to street gangs after all.
Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz and Manitoba Justice Minister Dave Chomiak spoke yesterday and decided to keep the pressure on auto thieves with a fully functioning Winnipeg Auto Theft Suppression Strategy, rather than diverting some of those resources to monitor gang members, as Chomiak suggested Monday.
'LITTLE BIT PREMATURE'
"I just think it's a little bit premature," Katz said of reassigning the police and probation officers who have helped drastically reduce auto theft rates over the past few years, partly by intensely supervising the worst offenders on the street. "I think the success we've been having would be in jeopardy.
"When we get to the point where we say 'we've beaten down this beast' then it might make sense, but I don't think we're at that point."
Chomiak said Monday it would make sense to use the expertise of WATSS members to battle street gangs.
"We're taking our auto theft unit and making it into the gang unit," Chomiak said, noting the prevalence of immobilizers would allow those intimately involved with WATSS to shift their attention. "You have to prioritize, and we're prioritizing."
A spokesman for Chomiak said yesterday the minister never intended to order Winnipeg police to assign their resources in a certain way, but was speaking more broadly about using the WATSS approach to tackle gangs.
The spokesman added "many of the same people stealing cars are also involved with gangs, so it's not like the focus will be shifting to a whole new group of people."
Const. Jacquie Chaput, a spokeswoman for Winnipeg police, said the service will continue with the WATSS program and its stolen auto unit. She is working with the province to figure out a new gang strategy.
"We are currently working with partners to develop strategies to address gang issues using the same philosophy as the WATTS program," she said.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Provincial government needs to keep their nose outta city affairs, publicly anyway. If they have an initiative they want to promote they ought to take sammy off to the side and discuss it.

Anonymous

Why doesn't Chomiak concentrate his efforts on building a big fcuken provincial jail to keep these cocksuckerssuckers of fighting chickens in so the police won't have to 'monitor' them. Jails are a lot cheaper and safer than having the police babysit these criminals.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:Why doesn't Chomiak concentrate his efforts on building a big fcuken provincial jail to keep these cocksuckerssuckers of fighting chickens in so the police won't have to 'monitor' them. Jails are a lot cheaper and safer than having the police babysit these criminals.
And build it in Lynn Lake or Leaf Rapids...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

they had some stats on TV about this last night

We have 1327 spaces and 1890 inmates currently

Jail gaurds are getting stressed because of the over crowding.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Why doesn't Chomiak concentrate his efforts on building a big fcuken provincial jail to keep these cocksuckerssuckers of fighting chickens in so the police won't have to 'monitor' them. Jails are a lot cheaper and safer than having the police babysit these criminals.

What is the cost difference? Don't jails cost millions of dollars per individual? How much of a $$ gap is there between the two? (Not saying that I disagree with you because I don't, but I'm just curious).

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

You have identified right there an issue that needs to be resolved. It should not cost that much to keep someone in jail.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So Justice Minister Dave Chomiak (chuckle) tries to steal a headline and how his "tough on crime" attitude by saying they will redirect the auto theft bunch to gang activities. But he somehow forgot that he really doesn't have any say, because its a civic responsibility how to deploy police resources.

BTW, isn't this the same Justice Minister (guffaw) that kiboshed the East St Paul police force and brought in the Mounties. Maybe Sam should be concerned, lest the boys in blue be replaced by the Queen's Cowboys. sarcasm end

Anonymous

EdWin wrote:
What is the cost difference? Don't jails cost millions of dollars per individual? How much of a $$ gap is there between the two? (Not saying that I disagree with you because I don't, but I'm just curious).
I believe that it costs about $75K or $80K per year per inmate....far from millions.

You don't agree we should be putting criminals in jail???

Don't tell me you believe there are no criminals...just different kinds of victims?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd heard that $75k number as well. Private for profit jails in the US are much less expensive.

Build a jail up north with about 1000 concrete cells. Put the criminals to work taking care of the prison (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.). Have one exercise yard. Let everybody co-mingle. If the various gangs want to kill each other let them have at it.

Give them an opportunity to get their GED or a trade. Serve 100% of their sentence and only then release them.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

It should cost no more then 20-25K per year, per inmate, but we coddle the inmates to much

5 guards per 20 inmates ( 8 hour shifts ) at say what.. 50k per year each? 250K or 12.5K per inmate
4K per inmate per year for food.
share of heating and water 2K per year
access to books and ebooks... each inmate 1K per year.
clothing $300 per year.

they get a 8x8 cell 1 hour out of cell each day.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Chomiak went off the deep end when he lied about "we have to priorize!" Stupidest statement made so far this year! I love GOM's suggestion, and we should turn over running pennitentiaries and jails "for profit". That way the inmates if they want to eat have to work for their food. I thought I read that penitentiaries cost $89,000 per year. We could send the damn inmates to the Fort Garry Hotel for less money, and that would include the $35 Sunday brunch!

http://www.elansofas.com

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:
EdWin wrote:
I believe that it costs about $75K or $80K per year per inmate....far from millions.

You don't agree we should be putting criminals in jail???

Don't tell me you believe there are no criminals...just different kinds of victims?

That is not what I said; read my post again. I agreed with you about keeping people behind bars instead of having the cops babysit them out in the streets. All I was asking was how much of a cost difference there is between housing inmates in jail and having cops babysit free criminals in society. Sheesh.

Anonymous

I'm sorry. I mis-read your post. It registered as 'don't agree with you'...in my brain....My apologies sir.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:I'm sorry. I mis-read your post. It registered as 'don't agree with you'...in my brain....My apologies sir.

No probs, bobs.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Who gives a flying siht about costs? Societal principles dictate that deviants be segregated for our SAFETY not our SAVINGS. It's damn lucky we still have a core of cops willing to play the catch and release charade with the same ignorant bunch of pucks that they know all too well. The super-institutions of the future will be more like schools where these lost kids will be made to learn to read and write - and hopefully with their "parents" serving right alongside them. That would be a start to meaningful and lasting change.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The reason the sentencing for some pretty ugly crimes is so low, is to keep the costs down.
I believ that a child molester should get a minimun of 25 years to remove him/her from society, and parole only if a group of 500 psycologists say thet they will not re-offend.
Protect the public!
Our system does not do that!

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum