the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

stupid freep poll about the Jets

+2
Mantha
Deank
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Are you generally in favour of Winnipeg getting an NHL hockey team or are you generally opposed to this?

Support 43%stupid freep poll about the Jets Poll_lin_WFP
Oppose 35%stupid freep poll about the Jets Poll_lin_WFP
Depends 14%stupid freep poll about the Jets Poll_lin_WFP
Unsure 5%stupid freep poll about the Jets Poll_lin_WFP

Total Votes: 1202

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/polls/Are-you-generally-in-favour-of-Winnipeg-getting-an-NHL-hockey-team-or-are-you-generally-opposed-to-this-50891517.html?c=y&pollSubmitted=y&oid=3&viewResults=y&mr=1&cid=8500584&pid=50891517

2stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How about some clarification on the question. Does me supporting it mean massive amount of tax dollars? then NO, I dont support it.

And if me supporting it has no bearing on tax dollars... how the hell is it any of my business if some rich guy/gal/group wants to spend their own money?

How could anyone oppose it without knowing what IT is?

Supporting it is another matter, some people are so crazy for NHL hockey that they will support it no matter what the cost or impact. So I can see some people answering support.

3stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:How about some clarification on the question. Does me supporting it mean massive amount of tax dollars? then NO, I dont support it.

And if me supporting it has no bearing on tax dollars... how the hell is it any of my business if some rich guy/gal/group wants to spend their own money?

How could anyone oppose it without knowing what IT is?

Supporting it is another matter, some people are so crazy for NHL hockey that they will support it no matter what the cost or impact. So I can see some people answering support.

What's with the rose coloured glasses on the Freep this week?!?!

Everyone loves Katz!
Everyone loves Doer!
Everyone wants the Jets back!
Everyone loves Blondies Burgers!

Everything's happy in Friendly Manitoba Spirited Energyland!!!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

4stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:04 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Yeah, pretty lame poll. But I'd buy season tickets so I know what my answer would be.

5stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

umcrouc0 wrote:Yeah, pretty lame poll. But I'd buy season tickets so I know what my answer would be.

Me too!

6stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but would you buy season tickets if it meant a 1% raise in PST to purchase and support the team?

(note 1% pulled out of my arse since there are no details to the question I can make stuff up too )

7stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:12 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

what i think is funny about this...is who says even if the NHL came back...that they would name the team the "Jets"?

They are obviously still making money from the old name...but they may introduce a new team name to capitalize on even more money options.

That would be like the Dodgers going back to NYC...I doubt they'd call them the "Brooklyn Dodgers" again.

http://www.photage.ca

8stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:14 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:but would you buy season tickets if it meant a 1% raise in PST to purchase and support the team?

(note 1% pulled out of my arse since there are no details to the question I can make stuff up too )
If someone's going to drop a few thousand a year on tickets 1% PST isn't too important.

9stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh dont forget that 1% is also on the tickets Smile

10stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:what i think is funny about this...is who says even if the NHL came back...that they would name the team the "Jets"?

They are obviously still making money from the old name...but they may introduce a new team name to capitalize on even more money options.

That would be like the Dodgers going back to NYC...I doubt they'd call them the "Brooklyn Dodgers" again.

I think it would mostly only happen that way because we are Winnipeg and we cant let go of anything. Hell people still shout GO JET GO! at moose games. anything but the jets and we would have an uproar.. possibly with rioting in the streets.

11stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:heh dont forget that 1% is also on the tickets Smile

See...there's an idea.. put the 1% increase ONLY on ticket sales and merchandise/vendor sales during games.

THEN...it's strictly "user-pay" and I don't have to support it if I don't want to Wink.

http://www.photage.ca

12stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:21 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:heh dont forget that 1% is also on the tickets Smile
Nuts.

13stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"See...there's an idea.. put the 1% increase ONLY on ticket sales and merchandise/vendor sales during games."

So like even all the bars and parking and such around the event?
hmm well 1% might not cut it then, but it would certainly help.
letsee... 15K people... average person spending what $15? over and above ticket sales on game night? drink, popcorn, food, parking, whatever? average ticket price of $100? so everyone spend $115?
hmm that would only bring in around $17K per game. I wonder if the cost of "managing" this new tax would cost more then that?
10%.... now that would be something that might help a little. but even then, not much really.

14stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:33 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Does anyone if if any current NHL teams are funded in part by tax dollars, and if so, are the citizens of those cities content with this or are people fuming out the ears?

15stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

People love having brand new arenas built by tax payers and massive tax cuts and insentives for hockey... not sure why though,.

16stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:People love having brand new arenas built by tax payers and massive tax cuts and insentives for hockey... not sure why though,.

I'm referring to the team itself, not the arena.

17stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well thats part of it isn;t it?

The "team" gets to use the Arena for free. Thats one heck of a subsidization right there.

18stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:44 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

So would it be a transfer of subsidy from the Moose to the NHL team?

19stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would think the existing arrangements would stay in place yeah. Since its not really to the Moose but to True North.

I am just wondering if there would be any additional tax stuff handed out since an NHL team costs in the order of 10 times more in salary.

20stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:48 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:well thats part of it isn;t it?

The "team" gets to use the Arena for free. Thats one heck of a subsidization right there.

Right, but we are talking about a "team" coming back to Winnipeg. The arena itself wasn't built only for hockey, but also to hold other entertainment venues for all to enjoy. Maybe I was too young to remember, but weren't the Jets (meaning the team, excluding any arena costs) funded by public tax dollars? If so, not sure where I stand on that; good and bad can be found within this. However, I have no problems with my tax dollars going to fund arenas or stadiums. These promote recreation and enhance the quality of life in a city/town/whatever for it's citizens by giving them options for enhanced entertainment. You want some luxuries in life? You need to pay for them. I for one am more than willing to have my tax dollars help fund a new arena, expanding the LRT system, and improve flows of traffic through interchange construction. These enhance my quality of life, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

21stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

"I would think the existing arrangements would stay in place yeah. Since its not really to the Moose but to True North.

I am just wondering if there would be any additional tax stuff handed out since an NHL team costs in the order of 10 times more in salary."

Could be. A NHL team is better for tourism than an AHL team so the local governments may be willing to do more.

22stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:57 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Instead of the Jets how about- "KATZ", or "ASPER" ??

http://www.elansofas.com

23stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Or the As-Kats

24stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Anonymous

I would love the Jets to come back, even if it means diverting some public funds into bringing an NHL team to Winnipeg. When the Jets were here, they were a source of civic pride, and arguably put Winnipeg on the map as a major city. Having an NHL team returning to our city would only boost civic morale, and give people a sense of pride in our city.

25stupid freep poll about the Jets Empty Re: stupid freep poll about the Jets Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:08 am

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

[quote="EdWin"]
Deank wrote:I for one am more than willing to have my tax dollars help fund a new arena, expanding the LRT system, and improve flows of traffic through interchange construction. These enhance my quality of life, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Wrong. Our money should fix potholes, and nothing else.
sarcasm end

Bang on, EdWin! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum